Author Topic: Minor Audio Bug with Arcadia Installation  (Read 1880 times)

Offline AV8R

Minor Audio Bug with Arcadia Installation
I've discovered what might be a minor audio bug the with beautiful new Arcadia Installation included with the 2014 MediaVPs. Maybe others can confirm this in their rigs to see if it's consistent....

The station's "sound" (that kind of whirring, low rumble that represents the station's reactor(?) sound) seems to be displaced from the station itself. What I hear in my headphones is the sound being loudest about 100 meters or so from the center of the glowing "tube" that passes through the center of the station (the side opposite of the hangar bay). I can position my ship so that, if I'm right where the sound is emanating from, I can turn my ship and hear the sound move left, then right, then up and down depending on the direction I move my ship - all while being 100 meters away from the station.

Shouldn't this sound be centered in the middle if the "tube" in the station? If I start a FS without using the mediavps, the old Arcadia has the sound centered in the middle of the tube where, I assume, it's supposed to be. I tried this with numerous missions that features the Arcadia and the sound is consistently misaligned with the station. (EDIT: Correction, when I tried it again using FSPort with no mediavps, the station sound was still misaligned).

Can anyone else confirm/hear this?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:39:29 pm by AV8R »

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Re: Minor Audio Bug with Arcadia Installation
Stations have ambient sounds too?  :wtf: I thought only ships had those...
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline AV8R

They sure do. Find a mission that has an Arcadia Station and pass through the central "tunnel" and listen carefully (headphones help). You'll hear the sound I described - a kind of whirring sound (almost sounds like wind blowing) combined with a low-level rumble. Although to hear it the loudest you'll have to pass through the tunnel from the hangar side to the opposite side and when you get about 100 meters away from the tunnel, the sound will be at its loudest (the point of emanation).

Anyway, the point of emanation should be in the center of the central tunnel - it was in the original FreeSpace.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Just a guess, but is the source of the sound determined by the model's "center"? Possibly based on an AABB or something else that might've changed, rather than an explicit "$Sound Plays From Here:" sort of thing?