Author Topic: Silent Threat: Reborn update, and a question  (Read 11497 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Silent Threat: Reborn update, and a question
The end is in sight for Silent Threat: Reborn.  We only have to FRED one more mission and tweak a few others, and then we can submit it for voice acting.  Basically what we're working on right now is what happens when the Hades shows up, and why it ends up crashed on the planet in Deneb in the FS2 intro. :D

That's not the point of this thread, though. ;) The reason I'm posting this poll is because Galemp and I were having a heated discussion last night about what kind of beams to put on the Hades.  Here's a summary of the two positions (fyi, there are five beam emplacements on the ship):

Option 1: Use 5 LuciferBeams
The Hades has Shivan Super Lasers in the original Silent Threat ship table.  Since we replaced the Lucifer's Shivan Super Lasers with LuciferBeams, we should do the same for the Hades.  The original Silent Threat table description says that the Hades is an attempt to recreate the Lucifer, so it stands to reason that they would copy much of the existing Lucifer technology to do it.  There are Shivan Turret Lasers all over the Hades, so why not LuciferBeams also?

The opposing position states that the GTI isn't copying the beams but rather making new ones based on what they know.  To counter that, this position asserts that there wasn't enough time to re-design the beams, since the Great War only occurred over the space of a few months.  Generally, acquiring new technology involves three steps: 1) copying the tech; 2) re-engineering the tech; 3) designing brand new tech.  Certainly, by the time FS2 rolls around, the GTVA would be at stage 3.  But in the FS1-era, when the Shivans had only just arrived, the GTI would only have time to be at stage 1.

Option 2: Use 2 TerSlashes, 2 LRBGreens, and a BGreen
The beam weapons used on the Hades were entirely Terran, using technology adapted from the Shivans. They are unique weapons and not direct copies of the Lucifer's; once the principle of how they worked was developed the Terrans developed their own beam cannons using the same techniques. It's not as if the beams were salvaged from the Lucifer then built into a new ship.  The Kayser was based on Shivan weaponry, but it wasn't a Shivan weapon.

When the GTA captured the Dragon fighter, they couldn't get the Shivan weaponry to operate, so they had to jury-rig it together.  The beams were developed the same way: observe how the Lucifer's beams work, and try to build your own beam that does the same thing.

We'd like to ask the general HLP populace for their opinion on this.  I can't guarantee that the outcome of the poll will affect our decision, but it always helps to get more information.  And it's extra publicity, too. :D So vote!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 02:12:29 pm by 561 »

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
I was thinking why not something beam that fits to Era, power full
but it can't shoot often or Ship reactor collapses as for Color
Gold

but Lucifer beam works too
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Well since its an attempt to remake the the Lucifer i say go Shivan.
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline magatsu1

it should have unique beams IMO. Not FS2-era beams 'cos they're the military standard at the time, and not Lucifier beams 'cos no way could the GTI replicate Shivan technology to the same standard as the originals.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
The version of the beams used should depend on how you intend the mission to play out.

For example, if you stick to the original ST canon, the only non-GTI battleship present in Secrets Revealed was the GTC Orff.  If this doesn't change in ST:R, you should stick with the LuciferBeams.  The Hades could grease the Orff as a display of its sheer power, leaving the loyal Terran pilots to destroy the warship before it has a chance to escape.

If, however, you intend to create more of a "Battle of Endor" type scenario--I.E., multiple friendly warships Vs. the Hades--it would be a better idea to go the route of Terran weaponry.  This would allow the Hades to fire at multiple targets without immediately destroying them, making for a more prolonged, more enjoyable battle.  This choice also allows for the possibility of AAA turrets for use when all the fighters and bombers are zooming around the Hades, something I'm assuming wouldn't be possible if it used exclusively Shivan weapons.

On a vaguely-related note, how is the Port version of the Ross 128 mission you did going?  I never got it to work with FS, even on my new system, and I really wanna be able to play it. :(
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline redmenace

of course they couldn't replicate the technology. however they had mastered it to some small extent. remember that the hades was based off of shivan tech of course and they were reading shivan signals from it as well.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Balance is not an issue; the armament is nearly the same in either configuration.  In both cases, just one beam shot will fry a cruiser.

I'm putting the ported version of Ross 128 off until SCP FRED is fixed.  I finally completed the Import FSM Mission menu option, but I can't use it with FRED in its current state. :sigh:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 03:16:25 pm by 561 »

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Green.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Well, if the anti fighter cannons stay red i say keep the beams red. If not, likwise then.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I say the Lucy beams...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Red Lucifer beams.  If they were able to copy the Shivan pulse weapons technology off the Lucifer than the beams would be the same thing.

I would expect their efficiency to be somewhat degraded.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Kie99

Maybe the GTI could actually improve the LucyBeams to BFRed standard?
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
What about yellow/orange beams?

The reason is that its wavelenght is closer to the red used by Shivans, so it will be unique and also implies that it is not yet the not as powerfull but more flexible terran green or an actual replica of the superpowerful red of the Shivans.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I vote Lucifer Beams. It has Shivan lasers, so why not beams?

why it ends up crashed on the planet in Deneb in the FS2 intro

The FS2 intro also shows Ursa bombers in that battle, which should not even exist at that time, so it is no big deal to me if it is a *little* inconsistent.

Personally I think that the Hades just took a wrong turn. :p
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Vote 1 Lucifer!

Offline Striker

It seems like someone who was designing the opening was talking to his buddy:
Guy 1: "Ohh I got it!"
Guy 2:"Got what?"
Guy 1:"Put in the Hades crashed!"
Guy 2:"That wasnt in Deneb though."
Guy 1:"It'd be cool though. They wont notice."
Guy 2:"..."......."Yeah that'd be awesome!!!!11!!1"
Guy 1:"1337!"

...Yeah as for me, I wonder how the hell it got there. I say greens.  Makes more sense to me.
...lurk

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I voted "Other", though if there was no such option, I would have selected the LuciferBeam.  I would submit that GTI managed to capture some examples of the Shivan beam weapons, completely intact, early in the great war, possibly even before the Ross 128 attack.  They had examined the technology in great detail and were already working towards creating their own native beam weapons.  This research would be recovered after the collapse of the GTI, and eventually go towards the development of beam weapons for the GTVA, towards FS2 era.

As non-rogue elements of GTI were beginning to uncover the rogue elements' plans, they decided that they would need the technology sooner rather than later.  While they couldn't create their own beam weapons at this point, they went with an option of arming the Hades (which was basically completed and just awaiting the proper armament) with what Shivan beam weapons they had acquired.  These beams would need Shivan power conduits and reactors (or whatever). in order to function properly.  GTI had acquired some of these when they stole the beam weapons, but had to secure some more, which was part of the reason that they were conducting operations in Ross 128, which was a main Shivan staging area during the height of the great war, and contained alot of Shivan supplies.  With all these systems acquired and grafted into the Hades, it necessitated them to mount all-shivan weapons... no Terran weapons.  For this reason, the electronics signatures of the ship showed up as Shivan.

As for the Hades' beam arragement, I vote that they only captured 3 working examples of the LuciferBeam, but also got some lighter beam weaponry, either AAA weapons or perhaps a slash-variant of the Luciferbeam, with dammage factors akin to the SRed, which occupy the other 2 beam emplacements.

Its a little involved and may conflict with your pre-established plotlines, but that's my take on it.  Maybe I've deciphered YOUR plot. ;7

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
LuciferBeams are actually somewhat yellow:

Sesquipedalian designed them to mimic the appearance of the Shivan Super Lasers.

Offline Vaelinx

Not having played ST:Reborn, you can feel more than free to take my opinion with a grain of salt (though I am very much looking forward to palying it)...

I'd say go with a weak Lucifer Beam (weak either/or in strength and fire rate)...  As they sound not quite Terran redesigned beam technology, but Terran reverse engineered (as much as could be) copies of Shivan beams...
If there was one thing all people took for granted, was conviction that if you feed honest figures into a computer, honest figures come out. Never doubted it myself until I met a computer with sense of humor.

Manuel O'Kelly Davis in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
How about look yellow, but not as strong?  Unless the GTI found and captured a Lucy where they stole the beams from.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."