Author Topic: RELEASE: Dawn of Sol  (Read 55745 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Just came back from the mission where some ship warps in to rape the **** out of the Storm, and like the others, I crashed.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Alright, just finished it. 

It was alright--enjoyable at first, but it got really repetitive eventually:  show up, either blow up every hostile ship, disable/disarm a hostile ship, or go after beam cannons.  It's a good start, but it needs some work.  Variety in the missions is a must.

QFT.

I would issue my own review, but technically I haven't finished the campaign so.. well it's basically the same Nuclear said anyway.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Finished it
I'm with the rest here. It starts out pretty decent, nice ships and weapon effects. Just have to get rid of the cockpit.vp asap. I like how each faction has its own version of beam weaponry.
The first missions are really short and easy in comparison to the later ones. There are some incredible hard missions and some missions that tend to be near impossible. A lot of the harder missions suffer from expecting the player to either know whats coming, or just having to be at several places at the same time. For example the mission rupture, so many bomber wings coming from so many different directions at once. Like wise the mission that comes before it, where you are tasked with defending a destroyer. Bomber wings coming from one direction then suddenly from the complete opposite direction. And while you are desperately trying to intercept them, 3 cruisers jump in and you are told to disarm them. While MORE bombers jump in on the OTHER side of the destroyer.  
There are also smaller bugs and flaws that could have been removed with a bit more play testing and polishing. I also noticed an unusual amount of return to desktop crashes without a FSO error of any kind. Though at this point i'm not sure if DoS has any blame for that.
In the later missions the focus tends to be a bit too heavily on all the different kind of destroyers. Which pretty much reduces the role of the player to "Disarm or defend". The high point of the campaign is certainly the mission Judgement day. Flying the Thor in that mission is so much fun. The mission that follows after that (Union) feels really weak in comparison though.

Overal its a campaign that scores on the visuals above everything else. The setting/backdrop is interesting but there isn't much story to speak of otherwise. Mission design ranges from meh to the occasional good. It won't blow you away, but it deserves a highlight in the very least (which makes me wonder why it hasn't gotten one yet?)

Oh and a small thing I noticed. Most of the talking head ani's are being cut short. This is most likely caused by the 'beep' sound being used when a message is being displayed. If the duration of the sound is shorter then the length of the .ani. The ani is cutoff.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:14:57 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Thanks for the feedback, guys! :D
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I know this is not the recommended way of playing this (sue me), but I tried to play it with 3.6.11 debug. These are the results:
Code: [Select]
---------------------------
Warning!
Primary bank capacities have not been completely specified for ship class AEF Thor... fix this!!

AlliedEarth-shp.tbm(line 137:
Warning: Boolean list has more than allowed arguments; max is 2. Arguments over max will be ignored.

AlliedEarth-shp.tbm(line 777:
Warning: Boolean list has more than allowed arguments; max is 2. Arguments over max will be ignored.

Pbank capacity specified for non-ballistic-primary-enabled ship AEF Thor.
Resetting capacities to 0.

Loading the Thor LOD0 in the Ship lab fails with assertion:
Assertion Failed!
Assert: bank->num_slots < MAX_SLOTS

File: modelread.cpp

Line: 1599

Viewing the shipyard gives me:
Subsystem "communications" in model "Shipyard.pof" is represented as "communication" in ships.tbl.  Although FS2_OPEN 3.6 and later will catch and correct this error, earlier versions (as well as retail FS2) will not.  You are advised to fix this if you plan to support earlier versions of FreeSpace.
Model 'Shipyard.pof' has too many bay paths - max is 10
Duat:
Subsystem "engines" in model "Duat.pof" is represented as "engine" in ships.tbl.  Although FS2_OPEN 3.6 and later will catch and correct this error, earlier versions (as well as retail FS2) will not.  You are advised to fix this if you plan to support earlier versions of FreeSpace.
Subsystem "communication" in model "Duat.pof" is represented as "communications" in ships.tbl.  Although FS2_OPEN 3.6 and later will catch and correct this error, earlier versions (as well as retail FS2) will not.  You are advised to fix this if you plan to support earlier versions of FreeSpace.
Aten2:

Couldn't open texture 'vascap4'
referenced by model 'Aten2.pof'

Subsystem "engines" in model "Aten2.pof" is represented as "engine" in ships.tbl.  Although FS2_OPEN 3.6 and later will catch and correct this error, earlier versions (as well as retail FS2) will not.  You are advised to fix this if you plan to support earlier versions of FreeSpace.
Subsystem "communication" in model "Aten2.pof" is represented as "communications" in ships.tbl.  Although FS2_OPEN 3.6 and later will catch and correct this error, earlier versions (as well as retail FS2) will not.  You are advised to fix this if you plan to support earlier versions of FreeSpace.
Isis:
Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'gearleftb' of model 'transport02.pof'!
Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'gearightb' of model 'transport02.pof'!
Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'gearleftc' of model 'transport02.pof'!
Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'gearightc' of model 'transport02.pof'!
Aurora:

Subsystem "engines" in model "aurora.pof" is represented as "engine" in ships.tbl.  Although FS2_OPEN 3.6 and later will catch and correct this error, earlier versions (as well as retail FS2) will not.  You are advised to fix this if you plan to support earlier versions of FreeSpace.
Callisto:

Couldn't open texture 'glowblue'
referenced by model 'INF_Callisto.pof'

Zagreus does not have a valid IBX in data\cache and seems to like spawning null vec3d errors.

Reliant:

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'sagi' of model 'reliants.pof'
Deluge:

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'mainhull' of model 'e_deluge.pof'!
Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'detail1' of model 'e_deluge.pof'!
Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'debris01' of model 'e_deluge.pof'!
Asphodel:

Model 'MiningStation.pof' has 3 slots in dock point 'Upper Dock'; models must have exactly 2 slots per dock point.
Belus:

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'mainhull' of model 'freighter3e-01.pof'!
Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'radarb' of model 'freighter3e-01.pof'!
Eclipse:

Couldn't open texture ''
referenced by model 'Eclipse2.pof'
4 times in a row.

Constellation:

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'Turret03a-arm' of model 'constellation.pof'!
Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'Turret04a-arm' of model 'constellation.pof'!

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'Turret05a-arm' of model 'constellation.pof'!

Darkness:

Couldn't open texture 'xdamag'
referenced by model 'darkness.pof'

Raiden:

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'raiden' of model 'raiden.pof'!

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'hull2' of model 'raiden.pof'!

Model 'raiden.pof' has 1 slots in dock point 'dock01'; models must have exactly 2 slots per dock point.

Nautilus:

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'detail0' of model 'TennysonSub1.pof'!

Rotation without rotation axis defined on submodel 'detail1' of model 'TennysonSub1.pof'!
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
3.6.10 Debug didn't give me those errors.  :wtf:
Freaking hell...there's so many of them I might as well fix them =.= ... at some point in time when I don't have exams.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, the problems with the Thor model can be fixed; the BP version does not throw those errors anymore. Contact Darius for it.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Last I remember BP wasn't going to have the FTFx Thor... :wtf:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dammit, you're right. Must have confused that with something else.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
3.6.10 Debug didn't give me those errors.  :wtf:
3.6.11 is much stricter and comprehensive in its error checking than any previous releases like .10. All mods should be debugged using recent .11 build.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Dammit, you're right. Must have confused that with something else.
Probably the MiG Fighter thing.
Would be nice to have it though. :nod:

Anyway, about the mod, a lot of the ships were cool (Obviously counting the Federal Fighters), retextures, and the different forms of beams, but there were some missions that made it almost impossible to remotely enjoy, particuarly the mission that's a total mock-up of the Inferno mission Nemesis. Wings of SIX Saracen bombers all with swarm Firestorms? How can you possibly hope to take them down without catastrophic damage to the fleet resulting, especially when it's happening three different places at once and friendly ships suffer the AI-of-Incompetince to the extreme?

Or the convoy defense with Lambda? seven waves of six wings in ten minutes when half of each wing goes straight for the Poseidons and ganks them while the other half tears your wingmen apart then harass you so you can't destroy the Antaeus fighters popping your freighters because the moment you fly straight-and-level to try to aquire a missile lock or fire primaries you die.

This is a decent mod, where some missions were awesome and then some were just...redonkulous.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
On a "INF Ripoff" mission, you have to assign your wingmen to guard ships that come under attack and you have to do it before any action starts.
For me, it really felt like I was in charge of this entire operation, having to constantly control ships that I commanded and reenforce wings that got damaged.
Be carefull to equip your wingmen with custom loadout.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Actually the wings are already set to defend certain ships except Alpha who guards you, so I use them to provide extra defense for the other wings.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Methinks I'm on the last mission now.

Missions are hit-and-miss, some are just a bit too repetitive and uninteresting.
Good visuals, interesting setting, but it lacks something. It seems as tough practicly all the factions are utter morons, since the'y re so easily tricked into waging war on eachother and have absolutely terrible security. Story seems a bit stretched.

Not bad overall, could be better.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Blargh. Mission after Ephemeral 137 crashes sometime after you successfully finish, but before debriefing. Using Nightly 5618 because I'm too lazy to keep updating my .exes.

Error: Can't open model file <>
File: modelread.cpp
Line: 801

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
oh yeah, forgot about debug. Moment.

Here it be.

There's an atrocious amount of model load errors in there, missing effects, misnamed subsystems... and what seems to be null vec3d errors or something.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:55:17 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That's the error I wrote about on the first page. Only I got it in the mission after ephemeral 137
I only saw it once however.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm downloading this right now... Hope it's working :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Help!

Spoiler:
Mission "Seeds of Chaos" - I lose one corvette to the unexpected beam turrets, then destroy the turrets. The second corvette doesn't fire, and I can't get the Windforce below 10%. Obviously I'm doing something wrong...