Author Topic: One-Year Anniversary: It's Basically Done  (Read 15405 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: One-Year Anniversary: It's Basically Done
As we've said before, we probably won't spend the effort necessary to get it voice acted. That said, if someone wants to volunteer for it, we're certainly going to help them as best we can.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kolgena

As we've said before, we probably won't spend the effort necessary to get it voice acted. That said, if someone wants to volunteer for it, we're certainly going to help them as best we can.

Utter blasphemy. AoA got VAed eventually. I DEMAND the same of WiH :D

(else, it's counterintuitive to the "let's make this mod perfect" mindset that makes BP so awesome)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Utter blasphemy. AoA got VAed eventually. I DEMAND the same of WiH :D

(else, it's counterintuitive to the "let's make this mod perfect" mindset that makes BP so awesome)

Yeah, but AoA got voice-acted well after its initial release. And only because it was popular enough that the fans came together and voice acted it themselves.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Kolgena: Getting WiH VAed before release would delay said release by a year, if not more. You wouldn't want that, would you?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think he wants BP to be fully VA'd, it's not important if it's done before or after the first release, and
As we've said before, we probably won't spend the effort necessary to get it voice acted.
that line makes me a sad panda, as I tend to think you guys are not even considering the posibility to VA this after it's released...

I don't know, that's what I understand by reading that.

Please say I'm completely wrong :(
el hombre vicio...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right. Let me clear this up.

We would like nothing more than to get WiH voice acted. But given our experiences in getting AoA done, we fear that it would suck up far too much time that could be better spent working on the missions and the rest of the mod to make it practical.

As with AoA, however, if some of you guys want to give it a shot, we'll support you to the best of our abilities. At the moment, we feel that getting the story out there in a playable form is better than stringing you along until it has voice acting as well.

To give you an idea of the workload involved, WiH Episode 1 is about as long as AoA in terms of gameplay (fewer missions, but the missions we do have are much longer than the AoA ones, on average), but has (and this is a somewhat conservative guesstimate) about 1.5 to 2 times the amount of dialogue and other pieces of in-mission text. It took us about 8 months to get all roles filled and all voice files integrated in AoA.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Not to mention that War in Heaven would be significantly more demanding on the actors.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Not to mention that War in Heaven would be significantly more demanding on the actors.

I'm not sure it could be much more demanding than something like Transcend, considering that's a horror set in Freespace where everyone is possibly insane.

In terms of the sheer lines, very possibly, but I think you'd be understanding the capacity of some of your fans/voice actors.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, of course. But if you play it, you'll see that the dialogue in WiH isn't well suited to the "distribute scripts, get lines read, put lines in-game" approach we could do on AoA. There is a whole lot of implied things that, we feel, needs to come from direct interaction between the actors, something that takes a whole new level of organization.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
We're not the first. Flaming_Sword used tactical SSMs in Shivans.
He used tactical or "local" SSMs which were added by SCP some time ago.
These are the ones which you fire at distance and they warp to target.
What we are using is a mechanic which has been around since retail, but didn't got used.
It's the "real" SSM, which isn't launched in mission, but just summoned there.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i am of the opinion that bad voice acting is better than no voice acting.  the single most distracting thing for a campaign is having to stop to read text in the middle of a firefight.  it's even worse when the text comes at you so fast you actually have to pause the game or go to the log to read it.  (i'm sure the BP staff is capable of avoiding that, but i've seen that as a problem in many campaigns)
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i am of the opinion that bad voice acting is better than no voice acting.  the single most distracting thing for a campaign is having to stop to read text in the middle of a firefight.  it's even worse when the text comes at you so fast you actually have to pause the game or go to the log to read it.  (i'm sure the BP staff is capable of avoiding that, but i've seen that as a problem in many campaigns)

I'm not sure. There's quite a bit of text, and while it's paced such that a fast reader can catch it, it's inevitably going to distract from the missions.

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about it. Beta tester reaction seemed to suggest it wasn't an overwhelming problem - I don't remember any specific complaints about it.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
right.  good fredding can mitigate, but not eliminate the problem.  my point is that a post-release, quick and dirty VA job by anyone who wants to contribute wouldn't be such a bad idea.  we need not spend 8 months on it, and it can help out gameplay.  and it would be optional for those who don't mind reading/don't want to hear crap acting :P  and of course it could be done properly later.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I would caution you though, crappy VA could ruin everything.  Especially in a campaign like WiH...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Guess I'll finally be forced into flying with Fury's AI, then. :p

They did play-testing with Very Easy so I'm sure everyone will be fine :lol:

Offline -Norbert-

i am of the opinion that bad voice acting is better than no voice acting.  the single most distracting thing for a campaign is having to stop to read text in the middle of a firefight.  it's even worse when the text comes at you so fast you actually have to pause the game or go to the log to read it.  (i'm sure the BP staff is capable of avoiding that, but i've seen that as a problem in many campaigns)
If you like bad VA more than no VA, you can use MS Sam (or Samantha). It was restored in 3.6.12 right?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
If you like bad VA more than no VA, you can use MS Sam (or Samantha). It was restored in 3.6.12 right?

never realised it was dissabled, I'm sure I've been using it in the nightlys
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I applaud the effort made by you guys.

Regarding the WIH VA, i'd happily contribute (already mentioned elsewhere) but i'm curious as to how many different roles there are to be filled. AoA was around the fifteen-twenty mark and it took a fair while to even reach that amount of interested application let alone the successful application.

I get the feeling WIH may need far far more.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I would caution you though, crappy VA could ruin everything.  Especially in a campaign like WiH...
Believe me when I say this, for I have flown with the UEF and lived. Crappy voice-acting will completely, and utterly, destroy the hard work of our two FREDers, Battuta and Darius. You wouldn't believe the lengths which with they've gone to in putting the missions together, and getting the atmosphere and dialogue 'just right'. As The E said, there are just some things in WiH you need actors with a greater bond and level of interaction than 'internet buddies' to effectively portray with voice.

I applaud the effort made by you guys.

Regarding the WIH VA, i'd happily contribute (already mentioned elsewhere) but i'm curious as to how many different roles there are to be filled. AoA was around the fifteen-twenty mark and it took a fair while to even reach that amount of interested application let alone the successful application.

I get the feeling WIH may need far far more.
WiH in total? Definitely.