Author Topic: new technology test  (Read 12951 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I just made an update, I currently have the n-patches set for liniar subdivision of position, but quadradic interpolation of the normals, what does this mean?
poor mans pixel shaders, basicly
untill I figure out a way to patch up the crack I'm gona keep it this way, I also made a bunch of fixes to some bugs, un fortunately I seem to have reintroduced a lighting bug, so every once in a while a model will flash bright wight for just a fraction of a second

remember to use the comand line to activate
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Fry_Day

Actually, Quadratic interpolation of normals just means that they don't need to be renormalized in the new vertices.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Bobboau
bout a second, probly, seeing as the card is able to do it on the fly like that sudgests it isn't a realy expensive opperation

You could do it in software which would mean locking buffers all the time which wouldnt be good.

Or try and do it in the card using vertex buffers or something. I think this would be difficult and would only benifit cards that support whatever vshader version you use. Also it means if anyone whats to use a vertex shader for anything else the shader would be really complex.

Im not shader expert sadly but I hear that one of the problems with DX8 shaders is that they have to be fairly small.

Even if we updated to DX9 which I think would be a bad idea at this point (anything that might make the engine slower should be fully researched first) that would limit the effect to DX9 cards.

To me it sounds like a hell of a lot of hasstle trying to do it in card hardware. If ATI could have implemented it as a shader rather than a card 'feature' then they would have done that and it would also be possible on GF cards.

I cant remember where I heard this but I think its a dead feature that never really got picked up by the games industry. I hope I wrong because its obviously a brilliant idea.

I did lots of stuff on patches at uni, I might have a stab at it at some point.

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
redmenace: Well, I'm actually an old veteran of a sort (hooked up with VBB a month or two before FS2 was released - I think I was UberFanBoy or something when they closed the place), and I've been lurking here a good while as well, but a welcome is still a welcome. :)

Fry_Day: You speaks teh Star Trek. :confused: But, I suppose I have nothing to do with it...

*Re-lurks*
*You hear sounds of intense sci-fi space-combat*
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
this can't be done with any form of vertex shader, vertex shaders are a one to one operation, so you can't have a shader that takes in thre veteces and spits out 6, hell you can't even have it take in three and spit out three, you can only have it take one and give one.

so this iw why a hardwar tesolator is such a cool thing, and what I'm doing here is exactly what the technology was developed for, auto-maticly raiseing the poly count of old game models.

and I don't know if ATI realy abandoned the technology but nVidia was pesemistic about the whole idea the entire time, it seemed as if they wanted it to fail, so I wonder who your sources are in regards to it being dead.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://www.ati.com/developer/CurvedPNTrianglesI3DG01.PDF
look about 3/4ths the way through, it give a nice explanation on the two normal coefecents
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
still dosnt work on my Radeon 9k
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by Drew
still dosnt work on my Radeon 9k

Ditto, Radeon 9000 Pro here.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I don't think it works until you have a 9600 or higher...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Wes

It still isn't working for me with the latest build in this thread that Bobboau has posted.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Ahh neato, will have to try after exams over.  I've never really seen Truform in action before despite owning this Radeon 9700Pro for 6 months.  Time to try it out!

No, nVidia has never come up with a similar technique hardware side.  I'm sure they could, they just never did.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
BTW the current build isn't as dramatic an effect, I'v set it up for the moment so it sort of forces the TH&L pipeline to behave sort of like a pixle shader, it doesn't actualy smooth the geometry out currently, but it does make it look much better
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Fry_Day

I believe TruForm was taken out of the Radeon 9000 line (That's up to and including the 9200) to save transistors, and therefore costs. The cards that are supposed to support TruForm are the Radeon 8500 and the 9600+.

TruForm will be thrown away, in favor of a programmable primitive engine in DX10, most likely, and I've never favored TruForm, since it cannot be used in conjunction with anything that requires silhouette data (Such as Stencil Shadows).

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"programmable primitive engine"
:eek: I want!

I hope they don't totaly kill it, surely they can just have a fixed function type thing that has the current functionality
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I suspect it likely it will 'evolve' into something else and re-appear.

Offline redmenace

hey is the saphire brand of the 9600 pros worth buying or should I go with the power color brand?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Sapphire is pretty good.  Never heard bad things about it.

The saphire boards are cut at one of the fabs ATI uses.

Offline redmenace

well I am worried about cooling, because it only has a heat sink and the power color boards have a fan and heat sink. Also there looks like the saphiore boards say there is a option for it to be a pro board or something like that. Is that with a flash utility?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
do NOT buy an up-to-date Radeon without fan cooling.

Also, PowerColor (although its a pretty stupid name) is one of the best of the 'cheap' card producers out there. The imagage quality of Saphire cards is pretty bad, although they have a good overall performance. Just make sure you dont buy an SE card, and also do not buy any card produced by Club3d. Personally, I reccommend HIS and Hercules.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 07:00:51 am by 1317 »
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.