Author Topic: The big red 'you have damaged' flag  (Read 9774 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The big red 'you have damaged' flag
Is that possible to turn it off? I am certain it annoys everybody.

[EDIT] Sorry, I wanted to write 'effect' instead of 'flag'. Thread title mistakes are typical nowadays. :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 11:13:06 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline RandomTiger

The big red 'you have damaged' effect
You mean when the whole screen goes red?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
yeah

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
How else will you know you're being shot at then?

I find it quite useful actually.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Maybe the *BOOM* *BOOM* *CRUNCH* sounds? :p
-C

Offline diamondgeezer

I find it handy, it's the game screaming at you "****ING MOVE!". It makes being shot at harder to ignore. It can get annoying if it's on constantly, ie. Bearbating's constant flak and whatnot. But there you go.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
You know that in this game(against this Ai), you move in vain with the speed of 1760 m/s, they hit you without trouble.

Otherwise there is a sound and shield flashing effect.
in X-wing Alliance(which is also not known about its playability), the 'you have damaged' notification could be done with a loud sound. In FS, there is also a sound, which is a bit more quiet, but it is also sufficent to notify 'your hull's status was changed'.

I don't know why this effect is needed in a space simulator. It is disguisting even in an FPS.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
*cough* space simulator *cough, cough* :wtf:

Anyway, yea, it's a pain in the ass. Get rid of it, and bring up the volume on the hit sounds, and that'll be ok.

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by TopAce
You know that in this game(against this Ai), you move in vain with the speed of 1760 m/s, they hit you without trouble.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Do not put in a :wtf:, you know what I am talking about.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 03:59:46 pm by 1079 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Erm.. what if you play without sound or reduced sound? And why is this even an issue? Should the code people be working on uh.. things that need actual improvement?

And Top, I don't think anyone knows what you are talking about...
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if we speed the game up human players would be unable to play against the AI becase they would still be just as acurate as before only multiplyed by the increse in speed and you would still be playing at normal speed, like you have in time compression mode
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just add a Zero to everything, so sizes are given in 10's of metres etc, it's all a mental illusion anyway :)

Flipside :D

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Personally, I appreciate being informed that someone's shooting me before I blow up. Might just be a wierd personal taste, I dunno, but a little noise doesn't do much when you're in the middle of an intercept run with beams and flak blowing **** up all around you.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
How about a red haze on the edges of the screen?
-C

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by TopAce
Do not put in a :wtf:, you know what I am talking about.

FFS, no I quite blatantly don't. Either you're mistranslating what you mean again, or you're just talking bollocks if I may say so. If you're moving at 1760m/s, nothing will hit you as nothing can catch you. If you've built some weapon with kind of speed then you should expect funky consequences.

You have this thing in your head that the AI is 100% deadly accurate. Quite simply, that is BS. Sure, they can hit something that's not moving but they can't track or pre-empt a target for ****. It does not take a ****ing genius to work that out.

Dude, seriously, I'm not having a go at you personally but you have to start differentiating between what actually happens in the game and what's in your head.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
I don't see how a little red flash you can see through just fine is so bad in the first place. Hell, it's not like it's hard to ignore if you're paying attention to something else hard enough.

Which is annoying in and of itself, many's the time I've gotten caught in some goddamn combat equivalent of a man-train and been so fixated on getting a bead on that damn Mara that I didn't notice my rear shields were nonexistent and my armor was at 30%. But that couldn't really be fixed without getting downright obtrusive.

Weeel... maybe a dial that can be set in the "options" screen, with the default left as it is. I'm reasonably sure (read: completely making up) it's some kind of colored layer they flash over the screen, be a simple matter of adjusting the opacity to one's liking.

Offline diamondgeezer

Well of course an option is the ideal solution. But like I and others keep saying, the coders aren't adding things at the moment so it's pointless even asking. By the time they've started coding again they'll have forgotten this thread and you'll have to post it all over again, thus annoying, among others, me.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Yes, but I am pacifying the masses with my half-baked solutions, see. I'm like upper management with more chemical abuse and no money.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i wouldn't mind having it turned off since the screen could light up with the red flash while taking screenshots
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord