Author Topic: The big red 'you have damaged' flag  (Read 9775 times)

The big red 'you have damaged' effect
No need to remove it, personally I didn't even remember it is there (well, haven't played recently)... :nervous:
You *could* however modify it to inform about the direction the harm is coming from though, à la HL 1.
(Just keep it transparent and at the sides, out of the way.)
The nick is not a typo, it's a pun.

what about a real *****in' betty?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Now there's an idea! How come I didn't think of that...

Must. Have. Now.

TTS support is there already, so let's just make some events be spoken out loud. This should be user configurable though, meaning extra work... but it will be cool.
The nick is not a typo, it's a pun.

Please add a command line flag, cos I don't want it removing by default.

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by kasperl
what about a real *****in' betty?

Oooooooooooo... now that might be handy for what I'm doing. Synthetich female speech would work perfectly ;7

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I had the Terran "Not enough Energy" from starcraft for when my Lasers depleted... Lost it though... It was pretty cool atfirst...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline diamondgeezer

There's gotot be a flight sim we can nick voice files from. Falcon 4?

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Unlikely.

It's not like it's hard to record some voice-synth software saying a sentence, anyway. Hell, anyone with a Mac gets all you need standard.

Offline diamondgeezer

Well I already said the female voice synth thingy would be perfect. You must have missed that one.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
So? Would you mind making a command line which disables this annoying thing, please?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Well if I might blend in...
I thought it has great weapon hit effect! Even without sound! I was trying to intercept a small fighter which took me past a couple of cap ships (enemies). They started to fire on me (turned Guns of and diverted power to shields) and then I got a beam weapon which "scraped" the front shields (ie missed, but hit) and it slung me out of course. Now if that is not enough weapon hit indicator, then I don't know...
Creator of Science Fiction Career
Completed: 0.2%
Site: click here

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Wow MLeo. That's, uhhh....great. Unfortunately we're talking about the red hit flag, not when a beam hits you.

Anyway, the SCP could put in a few codes for events, such as when the shields are gone, play_sound, when you're senors are depleted, play_sound, etc, etc.

Hmmm, I never noticed that one. Apart for "Launch", "Blast" and "Weapon Hit".

I supposed you are talking about an indicator when you are hit.

Must have missed something...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Anything is better than this red flashing damage notification method. It is a shame a space simulator has this. It is only included in worse-than terrible shooters.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Oh wait, that kind of effect!

I ounce saw that with Wolfenstein 3D. The first and only time I ever played a FPS... I hated those kind of games afterwards...

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by TopAce
So? Would you mind making a command line which disables this annoying thing, please?

I'll try and remember to get round to that.
If you send me an e-mail that will remind me every time I check for new messages.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by TopAce
Anything is better than this red flashing damage notification method. It is a shame a space simulator has this. It is only included in worse-than terrible shooters.

Some version of it is included in ALL shooters. Even Deus Ex has it.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Possibly someone could just record the Female Synth-Voice and then get the system to play it when you are below 50% hull/shield etc? That and the edge flashes would be good :)
My only complaint is that the screen gets redder the harder you are hit, this means that at the very thick of action, when shots are coming in at all angles, you are effectively blind.

Yes, the red flash itelf is not bad.  But there needs to be an area where it will always remain transparent enough to see through.  A red-tunnel effect would be better than having a solid red-out.

Can perhaps a new 2D image be overlayed on top of the screen and its transparency dynamically changed?

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
something like Half-life has would be ideal
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord