Author Topic: SCP support Directx 9?  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Fear

ram?take 2 giga.

Originally posted by Fear
ram?take 2 giga.

RAM will depend on however many RAM slots the gigabyte will support and current prices, however it will be DDR, since the onboard memory controller is configured for DDR.

Offline Fear

if im correct the new amd support dual ddr.... thats mean up to 2 ddr slots that being use... not 3 or 4. i say take 2 giga 1 slot.... save the other for the future.

if im correct the new amd support dual ddr.... thats mean up to 2 ddr slots that being use... not 3 or 4. i say take 2 giga 1 slot.... save the other for the future.

I belive your mistaken, AMD supports Duel Channel RAM mangement, which basicly treats your 4 slots as 2 which allows for faster acess of it.

EDIT: rephrasing for Duel Channel "dual channel memory uses two memory lanes to double memory throughput, but it comes at the cost of needing to populate both memory banks"

The most RAM motherboards today will take is 4GB, with 4 sticks of 1024RAM, though the latencies on that size make it useless for gaming, as you would be acessing the RAM at a snails pace.

However, what AMD is supporting is an on-board memory controller, basicly re-ordering the order of RAM commands, and speeding acess up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 02:52:54 pm by 348 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Unless you have a hot computer, yes, you can reach ultra speeds, and even pass ultra.

And damn you for getting those toys allready, I have to wait for price cuts , but just wait, birthday PC's are fun .

:D yeah, I'm looking forward to trying that. The problem right now is my crappy power supply; I had to remove one of the CD drives and a side fan for now to get the card to work stably at the stock 370/1000 speed and the autodetect thing only shows 385/1030, although I'm not going to push it at all just yet. I will be ordering a new psu in a day or two and am looking around at possible options. The OCZ 520w model looks nice; any of you have that?

I belive your mistaken, AMD supports Duel Channel RAM mangement, which basicly treats your 4 slots as 2 which allows for faster acess of it.

EDIT: rephrasing for Duel Channel "dual channel memory uses two memory lanes to double memory throughput, but it comes at the cost of needing to populate both memory banks"

The most RAM motherboards today will take is 4GB, with 4 sticks of 1024RAM, though the latencies on that size make it useless for gaming, as you would be acessing the RAM at a snails pace.

However, what AMD is supporting is an on-board memory controller, basicly re-ordering the order of RAM commands, and speeding acess up

The dual channel thing is nice but does not really do much for any of the AMD processors, although since it's free performance you might as well use it. :D You want the same amount of memory in each channel; two 512 sticks would work fine. I actually have three modules in this mode on an AXP but they are of different sizes (two 256s and one 512, although all are 400mhz).

Right now there is not much point in getting 2gb unless you do lots of heavy graphics editing or stuff like that, although you do want 1gb. Normal 3-3-3-8 stuff will be fine from some well known brand; smaller timings hardly do anything and cost a lot more.

As for your system, get a single large hard disk (the new 16mb cache drives are almost as fast as raptors but larger and cheaper), drop the extra cd drive and spend the money on a second GT instead. I think nforce 4 will support two PCIE x16 slots and two GTs in the SLI mode will be insanely fast. Also, get a dedicated soundcard if you play games a lot. The Audigy2 ZS's drivers can be annoying but it's much better than the soundstorm in games unless you want to use a digital receiver. The retail version also comes with like $120 worth of games, more than the soundcard's price. The music/DVD quality is similar though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 07:38:41 pm by 296 »

Offline JR2000Z

Originally posted by Ace Pace
Since this is going OT, what do you guys think of this as a future PC?

Nforce 4 motherboard (gigabyte build)
Athlon 64-bit 3800+ (socket 939 of course)
Geforce 6800GT with the HSI cooler
DVD burner 8X (plextor)
CDROM
onboard soundstorm 2 (no wimpy audigy)
Raptor 74GB 10K RPM for system and critical stuff
Duel Western's 120GB's on a RAID 1

Comments?

Damn. You got a rich family.

I'm also planning to get A64 and a couple weeks. But I'll plan on blowing it all next year when it's the era of PCI Express.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Originally posted by CP5670

:D yeah, I'm looking forward to trying that. The problem right now is my crappy power supply; I had to remove one of the CD drives and a side fan for now to get the card to work stably at the stock 370/1000 speed and the autodetect thing only shows 385/1030, although I'm not going to push it at all just yet. I will be ordering a new psu in a day or two and am looking around at possible options. The OCZ 520w model looks nice; any of you have that?

Allready nice speeds, though I wouldn't push it too much.

On the PSU you mentioned, its overkill, pure and simple, unless your going to SLI the thing, a Antec 500w would be enough.

The dual channel thing is nice but does not really do much for any of the AMD processors, although since it's free performance you might as well use it. :D You want the same amount of memory in each channel; two 512 sticks would work fine. I actually have three modules in this mode on an AXP but they are of different sizes (two 256s and one 512, although all are 400mhz).

Right now there is not much point in getting 2gb unless you do lots of heavy graphics editing or stuff like that, although you do want 1gb. Normal 3-3-3-8 stuff will be fine from some well known brand; smaller timings hardly do anything and cost a lot more.

As for your system, get a single large hard disk (the new 16mb cache drives are almost as fast as raptors but larger and cheaper), drop the extra cd drive and spend the money on a second GT instead. I think nforce 4 will support two PCIE x16 slots and two GTs in the SLI mode will be insanely fast. Also, get a dedicated soundcard if you play games a lot. The Audigy2 ZS's drivers can be annoying but it's much better than the soundstorm in games unless you want to use a digital receiver. The retail version also comes with like $120 worth of games, more than the soundcard's price. The music/DVD quality is similar though. [/B]

Yes, it dosn't do much, but it helps if you do cache intensitive stuff (loading in and out of RAM also), or stuff like video editing, but basicly its helpful.

Did I say there was a reason for 2GB? Unless you will be keeping this computer till UE 3.0, 2GB will go to waste.

The low timing RAM's will help, if like you, I overclock, even 2-3-2 timing would be helpful, although the AMD memory controller practicly does their work.

Actully the larger cache isn't that useful unless I do heavy compiling or graphical work, its acess times that will rule when I search for files or do tweaking, idea is super fast start-up, with the most importent games and programs stuck there. Also, 1 larger drive negates the speed benefit of RAID0.

Not really, the idea is this PC gets funding from my dad, and later, after my birthday, if I have enough money and benchs show its worth it, i'll stick a GT and a CPU upgrade.

Soundcard is redudent with the Soundstorm 2, its audigy level, and its CPU footprint is tiny.
The only possible use for an audigy now would be if I run though my PC the entire house, sending 2 channels to stero, 6 channels to surround,  2 to my speakers etc. then a audigy would be nice.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Allready nice speeds, though I wouldn't push it too much.

On the PSU you mentioned, its overkill, pure and simple, unless your going to SLI the thing, a Antec 500w would be enough.

Well, I want one that will last through a couple of upgrades, not just to work with the existing setup. The similar Antec model is cheaper while the Enermax is more expensive, but this has a better 12V output than either one and has individually adjustable voltages. I don't care for the fan lighting but that comes with it too.

The 6800 GT is working great and is a huge improvement in games (I had a lowly original GF3 until now), but hey, overclocking is free performance. :D The GT in particular seems to really improve a lot as the frequency increases.

Yes, it dosn't do much, but it helps if you do cache intensitive stuff (loading in and out of RAM also), or stuff like video editing, but basicly its helpful.

If money is no object, get an FX53 instead. :D (or FX55, which might be released by the time nforce4 motherboards come out) It's got added cache and an unlocked multiplier.

The timings don't do much for overclocking; they help by maybe 0.5% (in games) at lower memory speeds (closer to 400mhz) and that's about it. For overclocking you just need higher bandwidth memory and right now you can't get memory with both small timings and high bandwidth. Regarding the 2gb thing, I was referring to an earlier post suggesting that.

You probably won't have to worry much about startup times in practice though if you are using WXP, as you don't need to restart very often. Games sometimes load a bit faster on raptors though, which can be crucial for certain multiplayer FPSs where the fast loaders get the first choice in weapons. As for RAID0, I don't know much about it but articles at storage review and anandtech say that it is next to useless for desktop systems, especially for games. It depends what you want to do with the computer though.

Does Soundstorm 2 support support EAX 4 (HD)? Make sure you have that, as a lot of newer games can can use only EAX 4 and do not support older versions of it at all, so if you don't have an Audigy 2 you have to use software sound. I still have a three year old Live 5.1 and am running into this problem quite often.

Looks like an awesome system though, but you might have to wait a while for nf4 boards.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 02:32:16 pm by 296 »

Originally posted by CP5670

Well, I want one that will last through a couple of upgrades, not just to work with the existing setup. The similar Antec model is cheaper while the Enermax is more expensive, but this has a better 12V output than either one and has individually adjustable voltages. I don't care for the fan lighting but that comes with it too.

The 6800 GT is working great and is a huge improvement in games (I had a lowly original GF3 until now), but hey, overclocking is free performance. :D The GT in particular seems to really improve a lot as the frequency increases.

Well, the antec has enough 12V output, but your choice.

Yes I know, the 6800GT is awesome, though with the Nforce4... SLI anyone :drevil:

If money is no object, get an FX53 instead. :D (or FX55, which might be released by the time nforce4 motherboards come out) It's got added cache and an unlocked multiplier.

Ah, no, the FX is outdated, with only its higher cache, that is negated with the reguler Athlons having the memory controller, above a certine level, its a diminishing return.

The timings don't do much for overclocking; they help by maybe 0.5% (in games) at lower memory speeds (closer to 400mhz) and that's about it. For overclocking you just need higher bandwidth memory and right now you can't get memory with both small timings and high bandwidth. Regarding the 2gb thing, I was referring to an earlier post suggesting that.

You probably won't have to worry much about startup times in practice though if you are using WXP, as you don't need to restart very often. Games sometimes load a bit faster on raptors though, which can be crucial for certain multiplayer FPSs where the fast loaders get the first choice in weapons. As for RAID0, I don't know much about it but articles at storage review and anandtech say that it is next to useless for desktop systems, especially for games. It depends what you want to do with the computer though.

Does Soundstorm 2 support support EAX 4 (HD)? Make sure you have that, as a lot of newer games can can use only EAX 4 and do not support older versions of it at all, so if you don't have an Audigy 2 you have to use software sound. I still have a three year old Live 5.1 and am running into this problem quite often.

Looks like an awesome system though, but you might have to wait a while for nf4 boards. [/B]

For the memory, okey, nothing to say.

On the startup, since I do tons of tweaking and registry changes, i'll like fast load up, and as you said, map loading for FPS's, Americas Army takes ages, and RTW...:doubt:

Actully, TH.com article shows, atleast for Matrix raid, preformance increase up to 10%, though maybe i'll go RAID1 instead, I like my backups.

Soundstorm2 will probebly have everything, but we'll see, next to nothing is known  on the Nforce4.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
On-board audio sucks. I have the usual Soundstorm with my nForce2 Asus MB, and it's worse than my 4-year-old 4-channel SB Live! X-Gamer card. :doubt:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Originally posted by Sandwich
On-board audio sucks. I have the usual Soundstorm with my nForce2 Asus MB, and it's worse than my 4-year-old 4-channel SB Live! X-Gamer card. :doubt:

We'll see when it comes out, supposed to be great, if not, its an extra purchase, thats going to come out of my pocket.

Originally posted by Sandwich

Soundstorm is digital.

If you use analog output, the signals go through D/A converters which are usually very cheap and crap, and Live wins. If you use digital output, even Audigy can't match with Soundstorm.

Offline Fear

dam it i got no shine in 4.9B. it will never be fix by ati... can some 1 fix it?

dam it i got no shine in 4.9B. it will never be fix by ati... can some 1 fix it?

Couldn't we, the community, ask them to fix it? After all, the latest release notes show barely any fixes, so their must be some slack, We've had support before, they did a GC fix for 4.0 I think, because the community asked for it. IIRC.

Offline Fear

are u talking about ground control?

I think we can , but dont forget GC wasnt a failure in selling. FS2 is, we got like 200 fan top while GC got alot more... alot alot more.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
After 4.4, shines broken on my Radeon 9700Pro.

I think we have to fix the problem, not ATI...they have been tightening up their drivers so its caused some problems like this (and stuff with Raven Shield for sure too).  We probably SHOULD ask them about why it happens and what we can do to fix it.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fear

yep... and i cant return to 4.4 because doom work like **** there... besides 4.9 is awesome it has improved every game of mine in at least 2-5 fps(Wich is alot for me ;) )

Yes, this is a big f...ing problem. The only solution i found, was to install WinXP to another partition and use DualBoot. One Xp with cat4.9 for newer games (i.e. doom3) and another Xp for Freespace. It works, but it´s a stupid solution.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Eternal One

Soundstorm is digital.

If you use analog output, the signals go through D/A converters which are usually very cheap and crap, and Live wins. If you use digital output, even Audigy can't match with Soundstorm.

Oh, it's not sound quality I'm talking about. The quality on my Soundstorm 1 was fine. I was referring more to the effect playing sounds had on the system through an on-board chip vs. a PCI card. The audio would skip from time to time.

Additionally, I had an issue where my back speakers weren't being sent the proper signals somehow (and yes, I quadruple-checked the plugs). The rear left was being heard rear-center (ie. from both speakers equally), and the rear-right wasn't coming through at all. Weird stuff, but I doubt that was because it was on-board.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fear

Originally posted by Psychonaut
Yes, this is a big f...ing problem. The only solution i found, was to install WinXP to another partition and use DualBoot. One Xp with cat4.9 for newer games (i.e. doom3) and another Xp for Freespace. It works, but it´s a stupid solution.

i love FS2 but no way im going to do this.