Author Topic: Normal maps?  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Omniscaper
Such an implementation would be useless, unless someone will take the time to create the new textures. Using a photoshop manipulated texture original will not work well. Someone will have to literaly hand trace the parts have hieght differentiation.

In reguard to normal mapping, doesn't that require a high poly version of the ships for it to be convincing? So far there are only a handfull of those. That modeller would also have to create bumpmaps from scratch to make a goodlooking highpoly model that normal mapping would draw from.

lightspeed will do it :yes:
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, I'm sure Lightspeed will if he has the time, we've already dropped an awful lot on his shoulders ;) If not, there are enough people here to help out if we put our minds to it.

Just like only a couple of people started doing Hi-Poly models at first (Nico and Galemp/VasudanAdmiral were the first, I think), and it grew from there :)

Offline Sticks

Originally posted by Omniscaper
Such an implementation would be useless, unless someone will take the time to create the new textures. Using a photoshop manipulated texture original will not work well. Someone will have to literaly hand trace the parts have hieght differentiation.

In reguard to normal mapping, doesn't that require a high poly version of the ships for it to be convincing? So far there are only a handfull of those. That modeller would also have to create bumpmaps from scratch to make a goodlooking highpoly model that normal mapping would draw from.

Sorry Omni, but you're slightly off the mark on this one. The way normal maps are usually created is a simple two steps:

First, a very high poly model is created. Lots of subdivision, lots of greebling. ;7

Second, this model is run through a program which takes the high poly model, and creates a low poly version and a normal map. This normal map contains much of the "missing information" from the high poly original.

The reason normal maps are so attractive is because they can make a 1500 poly model look like a 15000 poly model and not stress the video card nearly as much as more exotic techniques such as TruForm. You also get pixel perfect lighting as a bonus. The downside, however, is that you need a very high poly model to generate the maps from. I'm not sure if that's what you meant in your last paragraph, or if you meant that the card literally needs to draw the high poly version (which it doesn't).
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Flipside
Just like only a couple of people started doing Hi-Poly models at first (Nico and Galemp/VasudanAdmiral were the first, I think), and it grew from there :)

Actually, Karma was first (in attemptimg ingame HTL models, not neccisarily high poly models) with his Fenris - everyone seems to forget him.

And Sticks - I didn't even know you were still around. Woot.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Originally posted by Sticks

Sorry Omni, but you're slightly off the mark on this one. The way normal maps are usually created is a simple two steps:

First, a very high poly model is created. Lots of subdivision, lots of greebling. ;7

Second, this model is run through a program which takes the high poly model, and creates a low poly version and a normal map. This normal map contains much of the "missing information" from the high poly original.

The reason normal maps are so attractive is because they can make a 1500 poly model look like a 15000 poly model and not stress the video card nearly as much as more exotic techniques such as TruForm. You also get pixel perfect lighting as a bonus. The downside, however, is that you need a very high poly model to generate the maps from. I'm not sure if that's what you meant in your last paragraph, or if you meant that the card literally needs to draw the high poly version (which it doesn't).

It could be that he meant that the textures for the models would need to be redone for the hi-poly version of the model.  Afterall, it'd be rather pointless to match the new model to the old texture.  Some of the "details" in the texture would be superfluous and new details could be drawn in.

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Black Wolf
And Sticks - I didn't even know you were still around. Woot.[/COLOR]

yeah

huzza @ sticks
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Sticks

hehe, thanks guys. :)

Look for some Cool Stuff (TM) soon.  Hopefully. If I can wrap my head around some of it.

I hope this information is helpful to someone...
Blender is an open source 3d modeling and rendering suite that may help.  Although normal maps aren't supported in Blender itself until v2.36, they can still be created using the material editor.
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Normal_Maps.491.0.html
An unofficial pre-release version of 2.36 can be found here:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5190
You will need to install 2.35 first, then unzip 2.36 file into wherever 2.35 was installed into.  I recommend waiting the day or two until 2.36 is official. Pre-releases can be buggy, but I'm sure that's well known in another open source forum.
If this is repeated information, forgive me.
There's a few models, like the Ulysses, I plan on trying this out on myself.  Hopefully someone else here felt the same way.  In fact, I came here to see if normal maps were supported in FSO yet and tripped on this thread.

Offline Sticks

Somebody beam this man!

Offline Lynx

I always wanted to do that some time. ;7
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Lynx

Beat you to it.:p
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.