Author Topic: >100 variables  (Read 3047 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Hi,

What bad things... if any... are likely to happen if I try to use >100 variables? Does anyone actually know from experience? Any SCP coder views on this?

Regards,
Ian
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
After looking at the code for BHX I knew it was only a matter of time till you asked this one :p

To be honest I think you're probably the first to ever need that many. I do know that PVs are limited to 100 but I don't know if that is for both kinds or 100 of each.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
PVs? Actually I don't really need >100 variables for BHX. It would just make it easier to do certain things. Correct sun -> planet alignment with random backgrounds being one of them.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Persistent variables. I remember the old wiki mentioning something about the campaign file only taking 100.

This may be a completely seperate number from the number of other variables you are allowed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I am pretty sure the variable limit for missions is also 100. If you use the special hitpoints feature, it stores the values as variables starting from 99 and going down. This was probably done to avoid conflicts with the normal variables, so it would naturally start and the highest possible value.

I don't think I have ever used more than one or two mission variables at a time, but you can quickly get close to the campaign's 100 limit if you need ships' status to carry over without using adjacent red alert missions.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
If anyone is interested, it won't let you add past 100 variables. It accepts the new variable but it doesn't actually appear.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Why are special hitpoints/explosions stored as SEXP variables?
-C

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
No idea, ask Goober.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No idea, ask :v:.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I thought you coded in that feature? :p (which by the way is extremely handy; I use it all the time)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ya, but I based it on the special explosion feature which was done by :v:. ;)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Why are special hitpoints/explosions stored as SEXP variables?

Hacky code?