Author Topic: 3.6.9 ignores Logitech Profiler's settings  (Read 2747 times)

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
3.6.9 ignores Logitech Profiler's settings
I downloaded 3.6.7 yesterday to run on my good PC (the Athlon 64 3500+ with a gig of RAM and a 256meg GeForce 6500 PCIe card), and it seems to work quite nicely, except it ignores the Logitech Profiler settings for my Wingman Extreme 3D Digital stick. :(

I changed the Profiler to launch the FSO launcher instead of the original FS2 exe file.

If you want ask why I'm not running 3.6.9 RC7, I just tried and it does something very stupid to itself. If there's no flags.lch it pops up Fatal error Failed to read Flags file. If flags.lch exists, it *deletes it* _then_ *****es about being unable to read the flags file.

At least 3.6.7 would run, even though it complained about an unknown commandline option every time, including the first time I selected the 3.6.7 exe, before I'd made a single change to any setting. Can't say what the unknown option is because it showed three or four characters like 'Ôê in the error box.

Is there an updated Launcher to go along with RC7?

While I wait on an answer, I'll give the extra-fancy P4/Athlon enhanced 3.6.7 a try. :)

Edit: Found launcher 5.4 but that didn't cure it. Now it complains about OpenAL being missing, then it deletes flags.lch and complains it can't read the file it just deleted. :P I assume this OpenAL thing is something new required by 3.6.x ?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:39:40 am by bizzybody »
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Re: 3.6.7 ignores Logitech Profiler's settings. 3.6.9 won't create flags file.
*digs around more in here*

Ah, the Noob List. http://www.geocities.com/turey_the_king_of_the_universe/nooblist.html

Now to save that file for perusal tomorrow... *curses Bill Gates cuz IE refuses to save it* Firefox doesn't bat an eye over it. 5:57 AM *yawn*

Could someone Sticky and lock a post with a 1. 2. 3. etc list with ALL the links to all the latest stuff like 3.6.9 RC7.8 the latest Launcher etc etc? Then UPDATE it whenever stuff is changed. Put a subject like "Everything you need to download to get it working!" on it and maybe, possibly, there would be less "Where do I find..." posts. ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The problem with 3.6.9 and the older version of the launcher is indeed that you are missiing OpenAL.

I personally reckon that your problem with the Wingman Profiler is due to the fact that previously you would run FS2 retail directly where as now you're trying to add an intervening step. As a result the profile captures inputs for the launcher but doesn't capture inputs for any processes started by the launcher.

Simply associate the profiler with your FS2_Open executable rather than the launcher itself and only use the launcher for changing settings rather than running the game directly and you should be okay.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Could someone Sticky and lock a post with a 1. 2. 3. etc list with ALL the links to all the latest stuff like 3.6.9 RC7.8 the latest Launcher etc etc? Then UPDATE it whenever stuff is changed. Put a subject like "Everything you need to download to get it working!" on it and maybe, possibly, there would be less "Where do I find..." posts. ;)
[shamelessplug]
*cough*right here*cough*
[/shamelessplug]

Ah, the Noob List. http://www.geocities.com/turey_the_king_of_the_universe/nooblist.html
The noob list has been updated with instructions for both installer-based and non-installer-based setup of FreeSpace Open.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
http://www.geocities.com/turey_the_king_of_the_universe/FSOINSTALL.htm <- this doesn't work.

It bounces to here which jumps right to www.filefront.com

A search there for FreeSpace Open turns up Freespace 2 retail, some other games, MODs for Freespace and several other games, and after clicking through Next 15 results four times, no FreeSpace Open.

Searching for just Freespace gets Freespace 2 retail and lots of mods for Freespace. Searching for freespaceopen returns zero hits.

If FreeSpace Open is actually on Filefront, it's very well hidden.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
http://www.geocities.com/turey_the_king_of_the_universe/FSOINSTALL.htm <- this doesn't work.

It bounces to here which jumps right to www.filefront.com

A search there for FreeSpace Open turns up Freespace 2 retail, some other games, MODs for Freespace and several other games, and after clicking through Next 15 results four times, no FreeSpace Open.

Searching for just Freespace gets Freespace 2 retail and lots of mods for Freespace. Searching for freespaceopen returns zero hits.

If FreeSpace Open is actually on Filefront, it's very well hidden.

That's.... interesting. For me (and 24 other people), it bounces to here, which works fine.

the reason it goes to http://www.geocities.com/turey_the_king_of_the_universe/FSOINSTALL.htm first is becaus Filefront creates a new URL everytime you re-upload a file, so I needed a static URL for the installer to use when it was outdated. the page you got sent to was probably one of the previous versions of the installer, which has been removed. This means your browser is probably using a cached version of the page, which is odd because I didn't give out that page before the current version.

The short answer to the long-winded above explanation is to try clearing your browser's cache and trying again.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:10:41 pm by Turey »
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
That one works. What's odd is I had never been to filefront when it was going to the old URL. Doesn't explain why the file cannot be found using Filefront's site search, not even searching for the exact filename. FreeSpaceOpensetup.exe :P *Gleefully applies #10 clue-by-four to the clueless indexing service at Filefront* I just *love* it when an index is so #%%up that it does not include the most bloody obvious terms that will be searched for, like exact filenames*.

Or why even after totally clearing IE's cache it still bounces to the old URL. It works in Netscape 8.  :wtf:

*Computers don't do 'fuzzy', they work best with precise and exact data, yet still many computer and electronic companies fail to put their product info in their online databases EXACTLY AS IT IS PRINTED ON THEIR PRODUCTS. Ever tried to look up info on something with a model number like RM-55678 XB but the manufacturer's online database has it as RM55678XB ? Years ago, Seagate was horribly bad about that (dash? slash? space? all the same, right?) until I found the right person there to send a lengthy explanation to about the problems it caused for people searching for info on their products. I got a nice reply back saying something like they hadn't really thought about that issue before.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
That one works. What's odd is I had never been to filefront when it was going to the old URL. Doesn't explain why the file cannot be found using Filefront's site search, not even searching for the exact filename. FreeSpaceOpensetup.exe :P *Gleefully applies #10 clue-by-four to the clueless indexing service at Filefront* I just *love* it when an index is so #%%up that it does not include the most bloody obvious terms that will be searched for, like exact filenames*.

The next version is almost certainly moving to a different hosting service. I don't like that FileFront won't give out a direct download link, so I'm switching to one that does.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Yay! It works great! (Except Logitech Profiler is still ignored.)
I followed the Noob List (also edited the HTML file to yoink out all the Yahoo/Geocities junk) and have my good PC* running it with all the fancy stuff enabled.

Just one little issue, even with Logitech Profiler set to directly launch fs2_open_3_6_9.exe Freespace still ignores the Profiler's command mappings :no: so I had to use the game's internal configuration. I had to quit the Profiler in order to be able to change the control settings, weird that it would 'pay attention' to Profiler then but not during gameplay.

*Also have it on the Dell B110 with its built in Intel chipset video. It puts big white squares all over the place with the advanced VP files so I had to remove them. Other than that, it does a decent job of running the game. It has absolutely no OpenGL hardware acceleration capability so it has to use D3D.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Yay! It works great! (Except Logitech Profiler is still ignored.)
What version of profiler do you have? I've never really bothered using mine much but I suppose I could give it a try.

Oh and I merged the topics. You should know better than to file more than one error report on the same error with your helpdesk experience. :p It just makes things harder because often you fail to incude the details in one report that are the key to making sense of the problem in the other one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:35:01 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Re: 3.6.9 ignores Logitech Profiler's settings
Profiler 4.60.349 Date 04/18/2005

That's the latest (unless they've decided to release an update in the past week). Easy way to test it is to make a new pilot in Retail then download the Freespace 2 profile from Logitech then set your buttons to commands different from the defaults. It'll work.

Then fire up SCP and see if it does or doesn't use Profiler's mappings. Was a bit of a surprise when I hit the afterburners and launched a countermeasure, then went for the button to target ship in reticle and fired a missile. ;P

P.S. I set the hat for up and down to cycle back and forth on primaries, right to cycle secondaries and left to toggle secondary fire mode. Did likewise on the cheap PC with the Saitek ST290 Pro using in-game settings since even Retail ignores the Saitek configuration software.