Author Topic: HELP linux configuration  (Read 5698 times)

HELP linux configuration
Hi, i'm using ubuntu feisty and i used the open installer it worked well and dandy i can play but the graphics are just awfull, i've been to the wiki and searched the forum but still don't know how to configure it properly. i believe i'm not using the mediavps and i have o idea how to make it work...

Can you please help me? sorry for the unconviniense
I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas? - Jean Kerr

Re: HELP linux configuration
Everywhere says you need to use "secondarylist = ,mediavps;" in mod.ini. But I think this file is only read by the Windows launcher, so you must specify the mods manually. I started playing FSPort wth "./fs2_open_r -mod fsport,mediavps".
Don'tforget to put 1024x768x32bits in ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini.

hi, thanks i tryed it and the graphics are the same...

my image looks like this:

and in the console i just typed: "./fs2_open -mod fsport,mediavps"  i edited the ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini and its fine, can't find the the mod.ini...

what do you think?
I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas? - Jean Kerr

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
The mainhall graphics have never been updated. try playing a mission.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

this was done in the tutorial...

was it supposed to be this "good"? the gamplay looks good but still...

Thanks

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Try and create a script that makes FS2_Open run with these command lines in addition to the mod activation:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
cd /path/to/your/freespace/
./fs2_open_r -spec -glow -env -mipmap -missile_lighting -cache_bitmaps -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -ambient_factor 60 -no_emissive_light -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1 -mod fsport,mediaVPs

At least the specular lighting should improve things rather drastically... ;7

EDIT: Note that some of these are my preferences, such as ambient_factor XX, no_emissive_light and all the differnet specular lighting definitions... you might want to familiarize yourself with the command line reference in Hard Light Wiki in order to customize your FS2_Open to your likes.

Command-Line Reference
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
And then post some comparison screenies.  :)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Perhaps the easiest way to check if the mediavps are in use - other than to run debug and check which vp files are loaded - is to go to the tech room and select 'GTF Hercules'. If it looks somewhat like the one seen here http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTF_Hercules then you have the mediavps on (easiest thing to spot is the modeled cockpit).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Without args                                                                  Same args as suggested by Herra Tohtori                    From the wiki

I guess i can conclude that the mediavps are working  :)
But i have to say, I'm a little disappointed, hoped for better graphics....  :P

but i still  have have one more thing to fix. i posted a topic here and no one answered...
I'll summarize it for you: my sound chokes ( is this the word?) and on the console i get X11: Unknown xsym, sym = 0x1008ff11 do you know what might be the problem?

Thank you all  :lol:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Regarding sound problem - first question that arises is whether you have OpenAL installed or not?

$ sudo apt-get install libopenal libopenal-dev

...although I think you'll only need the dev library if you go compiling your own builds, in which case you should already have them installed or you couldn't have compiled your build in the first place, but if you grapped a ready binary file, then it's a different story.

If you have that already, then I'll pass the ball to someone more knowledgeable.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

i installed the game from the open installer... when i do
sudo apt-get install libopenal libopenal-dev
 E: Couldn't find package libopenal
i searched synaptics and found libopenal0a installed...

and now i have another problem  :doubt:

What do you make of it?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Alpha channel problems...

What do you have in your MediaVP directory?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I specifically stated 'GTF Hercules' (and NOT PVF Anubis or other such) as it has high poly model included in the mediavps. The ones you selected all lack the high poly models and there fore wont appear any better apart from certain mapping improvements.

As for the image... Well seems like alpha blending is not in use for some reason. Though i kinda thought that error had already been fixed from the data files. Can you provide link to the installer or rather to the place where you got it? I am not sure if driver issues could cause the same problem...

Herra Tohtori here it is:
mp-710_models.vp FS1OGGcutscenepack.vp mp-710_adveffects.vp mp-710_effects.vp mv_adveffects.vp mv_core.vp mv_effects.vp mv_models.vp mv_music.vp mv_textures.vp readme.txt sparky_hi_fs1.vp stu_fs1.vp tango_fs1.vp warble_fs1.vp and the data folder

Wanderer
couldn't find that ship.... so i posted those... sorry
Got It from here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

i'll try updating my video driver to see it it helps. but thing is, if i lunch the game with no args  that bug... doesn't happen.... strange..

thanks
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:01:24 am by CiberWizZ »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Hmm... Ah yes... Forgot that you were playing fsport where Herc isnt in the techroom at the beginning of the campaign. Well with tiny bit of spoilage you could press 'ctrl + shift + s' in the techroom and then you should be able to see it.

Odd... you shouldn't have these 'sparky_hi_fs1.vp stu_fs1.vp tango_fs1.vp' in the mediavps directory - they should be in fsport directory.

lool the other day i tryed to fix it for my self and copied to that dir..
i'll post the image in  a moment..

tks

What do you think?

i've updated the graphics driver but the fire still looks the same...
what would you recomend?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:07:09 am by CiberWizZ »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
That is the high poly herc so mediavps ok... Then just have to find that alpha channel issue.

The alfa channel is the sound? what do you think i should do?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:04:18 am by CiberWizZ »

The alfa channel is the sound? what do you think i should do?
No. The Alpha-Channel is - basically said - transparency.
It defines, how transparent or opaque something is. It's used just like the red, green or blue Color-Channels (RGB).