Author Topic: GIMP 2.6.11 for OS X native (quartz, no X11)  (Read 7005 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
GIMP 2.6.11 for OS X native (quartz, no X11)
After much struggle, I finally got Gimp to compile on my Mac, and used the skeleton script provided by Gimp.app on Sourceforge (had to tweak it a bit) to assemble my own, highly experimental Gimp.app based on the latest code available in MacPorts.  Then I figured, why enjoy this all by myself, so I thought I might see if anyone else here wants to be a beta tester, and let me know how many machines will actually be able to run this thing.  I have a feeling it's a fairly narrow subset, I'm positive it won't run on PPC, and it may not run on Intel 10.5 either.  I also have a feeling python scripts will make it explode currently, but that might be fixable without too much trouble.  Anyway, the build:

GIMP-2.6.11_Intel.dmg

Also, of the known issues stated on the gimp.app project page, here's what seems to be their current status:
- keyboard shortcuts disabled to work around
  text input bug
Shortcuts working fine for me so far, although it's Ctrl, not Command like the menus say
- loading a help page causes spinning beachball
  of death No pinwheel, but Gimp crashes immediately
- dropping files on already running gimp doesn't
  open file
Drag and drop also worked fine, although the first time I did this, it crashed.  Subsequent drag and drop has worked just fine though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Re: GIMP 2.6.11 for OS X native (quartz, no X11)
Is it possible to make a fat binary for i386 and x86_64?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As difficult as getting one of those in is, I don't see the benefit of having both.  I'd be more concerned with cross-compiling for PPC although as it's dying, I'm not sure I'll ever even bother with that.  Just having x86 should be good for the foreseeable future, unless Apple is planning on dropping 32bit binary support in 10.7+.  But I'll have to start over in a clean build environment if I try to make another one of these, using an existing MacPorts install for this was really pothole-ridden.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Echelon9

Chief1983, are you using Xcode4 yet? I'm considering rebuilding the FS2_Open Xcode project for Xcode4.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'll use it when I don't have to pay for it.  I'm not a big fan of giving Apple any more money than I have to.  My MacBook is work-provided, and my iPad was a gift.  I still haven't paid for any apps or 'developer program access' out of my own pocket.  If you know of a way to get Xcode 4 without being in the developer program, feel free to let me know.

Well it's on the appstore for 5$ or free if you have 10.7 installed which was just released yesterday morning. So if you were going to get that anyway.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah I did just see that it's free now, but only on Lion.  Seriously Apple, stop being retarded about this.  I should have Lion soon though, so I'll be able to upgrade then.  But I think 10.6 will be around for a while, we still had one member of FotG on 10.5 until just a few days ago.