Author Topic: CVS update  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Inquisitor

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/

That's where the web front end to CVS and bugzilla will be.

I have FTP access, which means the account is active, but they are not finished setting up CVS, etc.

This is as of this morning, and should have more info this afternoon.

-edit-

K, I got it, I think, need people to come find me or email me, to get set up with CVS access.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2002, 06:48:42 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Inquisitor

Ok, it's set up, but I need help remembering how the hell it works, anyone online that can help me?

37097749 is the ICQ
No signature.

He's got it setup now, developers that are actively editing are encouraged to ask for cvs write access.

warpcore is glad to host the fs2source, we already host the d1x, d2x, d3edit projects, and the invitiational descent ladder, and many of the community mailing lists.

contact inquisitor for write access or more information

anonymous cvs access is available:

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/home/fs2source/cvsroot login

enter anonymous when asked for a password

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/home/fs2source/cvsroot co freespace2_public
« Last Edit: June 01, 2002, 08:50:53 pm by 750 »

Offline Inquisitor

NOTE:

This is JUST the base source from Volition, and it's mixed case.

I'll wait till I get some contact from one of the other folks and if we need to create a new module, then, well, that's easy :)
No signature.

cvsweb has been setup here:

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi/

browse the source to your heart's content

I'd suggest we use the furthest along GCC/OpenGL/Linux port as the base and go from there, since that probably has the most differences to the FS2 source.

Offline Inquisitor

Probably.

But that's the point of getting peoples attention. And while one guy may be further along, another guy might have a better structure. And we have at least 3 guys working independently on this, so, we should have a quick chat while looking at each of their code ;) See which is the better starting point :)

For instance, penguin went to great lengths to preserve the windows build, that might be a better starting point than if, say, theoddone ripped out the windows code :) Not that he did, that's just an example :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2002, 09:30:56 am by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Bri_Dog

forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of this CSV thingy?
Sig

To centralize development. Different developers can work with the same copy of code and then "commit" their changes to a central place, meaning that other people can benefit from each other's work...

Offline Bri_Dog

So it's kinda keeping track of what people have done to the code?
Sig

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by Bri_Dog
So it's kinda keeping track of what people have done to the code?
Exactly.

You can see what changes were made, by whom, and at what time, at any step along the development path.  You can go back 5 revisions if you need to grab code that was removed, for example.  You can also have multiple branches (although this is a PITA most of the time), and merge them, etc.

It's an excellent way for a team to work on a common source base, especially when the code is large (like FS2) and the developers are scattered about (like us :))

CVS is only one of a number of version control systems, some free, some very expensive.  CVS is popular amongst open source developers because it's free, it's supported on a variety of platforms, it can be used over the internet (with various levels of security), and it works.

See http://www.cvshome.org for more info, and to download it (if you think you need it).
your source code slave