Author Topic: 3d models for loadout screen?...and...  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
3d models for loadout screen?...and...
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Sounds like we have our first art related task.

So we're all agreed? Tech room display will, if specified, display a pre-rendered ANI of the object. If not, it will hook into the 3D engine to display the object over a green grid, with appropriate camera movements, etc. This means that someone will have to model/texture some decent versions of all the player weapons in the game.

Or..... (;7) I wonder if we could manage to convince DaveB to get his hands on the original models that :V: used render those tech ANIs... ;7 ;7 ;7
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Inquisitor

Well, the artists in the community have been chomping at the bit to do something.

I vote we let 'em ;)
No signature.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by sandwich

Or..... (;7) I wonder if we could manage to convince DaveB to get his hands on the original models that :V: used render those tech ANIs... ;7 ;7 ;7

that were the ingame models with reflection and self ilum maps if I'm not mistaken.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by venom2506

that were the ingame models with reflection and self ilum maps if I'm not mistaken.

No way - the in-game models have very low polyconuts, and those used for the ANI's were, well... production-quality! :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
he's talking about the models used for the weapons animations venom, not the ships
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i always make a quickie model of my weapon for my renders on my "official nukemod" weapons (which can be seen if you downloaded my mod). i use flat shading mostly, some very simple textures.

since alot of people just do single frame ani files for there ships and weapons, could we also be able to use pcx files instead of anis. when freespace sees a *.pcx file attached to the animation tag, it loads it, and omits the little sound effect. or you can have a fade-in effect and keep the sound.

for the 3d effect you could overlay it over a generic moving  grid aiumation (render a grid that rotates the way the normal ani does except with out the ship and scan effect). you can then sync the movment of the model with the generic animation to produce a similar effect to the one in the freespace animations. i dont know how difficult it would be to get a ship to render on top of an animation, but its worth a try.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN