Author Topic: Per-campaign control settings: GOOD or BADDE  (Read 2863 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Per-campaign control settings: GOOD or BADDE
What's up with this? I can't figure out why you'd want it. Is it a bug or an intended feature of the pilot code?

Ohh, I can figure out why you'd want it! You might be switching between campaigns with very different feature sets.

Still, it's kind of a hassle to reconfigure your basic FS2 controls for every new basic FS2 campaign. (I should clarify that when you switch to a new campaign, your controls reset to FS2 defaults). What do people think?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:28:20 pm by General Battuta »

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Re: Per-campaign control settings: GOOD or BADDE
I think it should be on per-pilot bassis. If you want to have different configs for different campaigns, just use different pilots.
I hate reconfiguring ETS keys for every single campaign (I have a notebook keyboard and some keys have been shuffled around).

Offline Yarn

I think it should be on per-pilot bassis. If you want to have different configs for different campaigns, just use different pilots.
Agreed. Especially considering that most campaigns (I'm pretty sure) use the same control features as the main FS2 campaign.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Per campaign is intended behaviour, but I can see the reasons for changing it back to per-pilot.  Before that's done though, would presets, or methods of copying control schemes around be any better?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What were the reasons for making it per-campaign?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I didn't even realize it was per-campaign until I opened up csg.cpp and saw that controls were being read and written there as well.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If we need a compromise we can do this. Add a setting to controlconfigdefaults.tbl. If the flag is present, the game puts up a message along the lines that "This campaign has a different default keyboard layout than your previous mod, do you wish to use it?" Then we just tell modders to use the setting only if their mod significantly alters the default keys for some reason.

That said, I'm not sure we need a compromise, has anyone actually made a mod that would need a significantly different key set? Back in the day when TBP and FS2 ran from the same folder I could see it, but I don't think we need it now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, campaign-specific control settings should be the exception, not the default, and the user should be notified if they are in effect.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
What were the reasons for making it per-campaign?

I don't know, I believe Taylor did that prior to me working on the new pilot code.

That said, I'm not sure we need a compromise, has anyone actually made a mod that would need a significantly different key set? Back in the day when TBP and FS2 ran from the same folder I could see it, but I don't think we need it now.

I've got some wildly different configs for (e.g.) FS2 / Diaspora / WoD / TBP (can't recall any mods that need this off the top of my head, maybe Frontlines given the nature of shield-less combat?).  All the Windows-only players out there please note that on Linux & OSX, pilots are shared across all FSO-based games / TCs / mods for a single user account on a PC! :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's horrible!

Diaspora for instance ships with a completely different default config more suited to modern gaming (use of WASD for instance). That's going to make things a bit of a pain for someone who then moves to Freespace for instance.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Someone remind me why the new pilot format isn't text editable? Because that issue would go from major annoyance to trivial if one could just copy-paste around and maintain as many key layouts as we want instead of having to go through the awful ingame interface to set the keys again.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It could be.  We can export it to JSON.  We could theoretically replace the binary file part of the pilot code with a JSON reader then.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Given that alt key bindings are the exception rather than the rule would a table created by the mod maker with suggested key bindings be a better solution. 
that way if the table is absent - retail behaviour
 - if the table is there it uses those bindings
 - - if the player wants to edit those bindings further the game writes a tbm into the mod folder thus preserving the mod default key bindings for reversion.
 - for player wants to ignore the mod recommend key bindings for whatever reason perhaps a launcher flag to force retail behaviour and allow the player to bind their keys to the pilot file like normal
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

It could be.  We can export it to JSON.  We could theoretically replace the binary file part of the pilot code with a JSON reader then.

Please please please do.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Behold, the oldest open FSO PR on github  :nervous: 

(I really have to finish off some of my WIPs)
----
----

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Eyyyy what's up with this

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I want to get a few other things finished (e.g. apngs) before looking at this one, so if anyone else wants to have a go in the meantime, feel free!
----
----