Author Topic: Difficulty levels affecting beam refire rates - good or bad?  (Read 1927 times)

Difficulty levels affecting beam refire rates - good or bad?
So, I have been wondering for a long time now about a certain behaviour that has apparently been around since the retail version of FS2: The way how difficulty level affects the beam refiring rates (and apparently all the other weapons too?). I have encountered more and more missions where changing the difficulty to a higher level would actually make those missions easier to complete. This is especially true in Shadow Genesis, but affects everything else too. Most notably, the "proving grounds" mission in FS2 gets easier to 100% when playing at "insane" difficulty.

I think this has been the single most counterintuitive feature of Freespace saga - the fact that in some missions, player can "optimize" between player survivability (easier difficulties) and more dangerous friendly capitals (higher difficulties). As a metagame it's not something that I enjoy, and I really try to ignore it by playing on medium all the time. Sometimes however, a very challenging mission appears, and changing the difficulty to "very easy" doesn't always help with all the objectives, especially if player doesn't have any weapons that can hurt corvettes or destroyers. Sometimes, missions are very reliant on friendly capital ships doing their jobs right.

I know it has been FAR too many years to suddenly address this now, but better late than never, I guess? (unless this has already been discussed and I missed the memo - in that case shame on me...  :( )

I think the community should have a serious discussion about removing the whole "dynamic refire rate" feature and reset all the refire times to match the "normal difficulty" setting. Or, if this has already been discussed on this forum, I would like to know what was the conclusion. I know the rule about not "breaking the retail", but I truly feel that standardizing the capital ship weapons for all difficulties would greatly help mission makers in their quest to balance their missions.

What are your thoughts on this?  :)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:14:09 pm by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Difficulty levels affecting beam refire rates - good or bad?
Yeah, that setting is great. In BP difficulty doesn't affect beam refire rate.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Flak of Doom :shaking:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

So this is after all a mod/campaign based feature. Huh.  :wtf:

Still, I wonder why so many are content with those default values. I can't be the only one who initially got confused why harder difficulties sometimes felt easier than "easy" difficulties. From an intuition standpoint, it makes no sense. The more there are Large beams in mission, the greater the effect.

EDIT: To clarify, it's totally different to have Large beams with a minimum waiting time and having small beams with minimum waiting time. Every time there is a friendly destroyer against a hostile corvette, the destroyer wins with a margin that is comparable to the difficulty. And that margin consists of depleted mission time and lost capital ship hitpoints.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:37:06 pm by Lykurgos88 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Still, I wonder why so many are content with those default values.

If I can hazard a guess, it's just not knowing that this option exists.  There's thousands of tweakable settings in FSO and it's hard to keep up with all of them.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Yeah, it's a flag. And if you turn it off all weapons will fire at full tabled rates, like they do on insane with only a small random delay that will not affect anything but the fastest ROF weapons. Remove that random delay too and you get true tabled firerates for all weapons which is what you should use if you don't want ROF scaling.

Many are content with those values because they never took the time to write their own AI-profiles table or simply make specific weapons always fire at tabled rates while still downgrading AI fighter weapons if you're not playing on insane.

Obviously the best fix is to simply remove every difficulty aside from insane :P
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The way I see it, easier difficulty settings are more forgiving because the player (who always fires at the maximum rate) has more of an affect on the mission. The lower the turret fire rates, the faster things happen, and the less room there is for pilot error. It makes sense to affect both friendlies and hostiles equally as the net effect is to accelerate the mission and thus diminish the impact of Alpha One.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...