Author Topic: Ship select screen updating  (Read 7327 times)

Ship select screen updating
Have just been ripping off some tech room code to implement the spinning 3D models of ships into the ship select screen to save modders some time out there. Just thought I'd let you know what I'm upto.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Brilliant idea! The in-game ships are looking better and better, why waste time creating animations (or static images) for them when these can be used instead? I don't suppose a similar static top-down view could be used for weapon loadout?

I'm working on replacing all the things that show ships using ani's and icons and such with images derived from the in-game models. I'll be moving onto that as soon as I iron out the bugs in this.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You sir, are a legend.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Ok I just commited the 1st functional version of it to the CVS. It doesn't do much other then make the model spin at the moment, but with a little work I think it might be possible to basically duplicate exactly what the ani's do for the ships (sans maybe the glows).

Unfortunately, this new code also means the old ani's are being made redundant since there's no simple way to choose one display method over the other (not with my attention span anyway :) ). At any rate - download, post any suggestions or total weirdness encountered here.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Linky?

I CVS committed it, so you'll need to compile it. I can't get into my web hosting right now so I can't put an exe online. Sorry.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Is it impossible to implement a code that would handle both ani and the spinning ship or it isn't possible with the current interface.

I had a thought though: we could have an artistic picture of all the fighters - and it has to be "arty" - and the option to toggle to 3D realtime display.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

It's not impossible, just a lot more effort then I feel it would be worth, since almost no one will make the ani files of their fighters and with the improvements to the engine the 3D models are getting to look like a much better alternative. Plus, with my way, most graphical improvements will fly straight into the effect so once we get things like bump-mapping going it'll get even better.

ok, standard yelling.

make something in the tables, where you specify wheter you want FS2 to make your sdhip spin, or you want the ani to do it.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
i would make the whole interface more simple here.
Replace that top-view PCX ship thing with the spinning model, and keep the right of the screen free, to finally be able to put more information there :)
The spinning ship would then be between the loadout brackets, always with the gun point(s) highlighted you've selected at the moment.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Suppose you linked it to ships.tbl.  If the loadout entry said "none" then display the ship model, otherwise display the animation.  Easy.

Of course, this could be overridden with a command-line parameter.

All valid suggestions, though I am a little concerned about being consistent in the interface. I left all the old code in, just commented out for now so I could do this quite easily. However right now I'm working more on ensuring it works properly.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
man that is good - why didn't people think of that before, thinking with in the box again eh? :D
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Has any progress been made on this?  Is there an exe I could get my hands on for it?

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Certainly makes sense to me, it makes less work for the modder, and adds consistency to the game, specially when playing total conversions :)

Flipside :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Goober5000
Suppose you linked it to ships.tbl.  If the loadout entry said "none" then display the ship model, otherwise display the animation.  Easy.

Well said. :nod: So now it looks up the original Volition green grid anis for the ones that exist, and for new mods you just put in None.

Are you putting in a grid and all, or is this just a spinning model? Remember to have a green light underneath it...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Using ingame models saves a whole bunch on file size too.  A bunch of tech room animations that are fully animated can take up huge amounts of space.

We might want to consider making 3D models of cannons and missiles to go in there as well.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
sounds kind of easy to make low poly meshes for those ( well, missiles already exist ), plus that allow a future possible feature for external weapons that show on a ship ( ala freelancer ), the meshes would already exist.
SCREW CANON!

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
    • http://josherickson.org
We might want to consider making 3D models of cannons and missiles to go in there as well.
:wtf: But then it wouldn't be detailed enough!

I personally am in support of the 'either or' unless you can do Volition like animations since I'm working on a Blender tutorial about makeing Volition like ani's.

Though even if you could make the engine do the ss ani's it still wouldn't be like an animation. For instance you can have WAY more detail in a animation then you could get with a game engine. Besides high-poly real-time rendering can make low end system cry.
I have big plans, now if only I could see them through.

LiberCapacitas duo quiasemper
------------------------------
Nav buoy - They mark things