Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308867 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Re: What are you working on?
I love that Munificent! One of my favorite all-time star wars ships! Nice work, thumbs up!  :D

@Nyctaeus: Absolutely, agreed. I was always a CIS junkie.  :nod:

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam

Got this new class of bombers ready for action. They're slow, bulky and huge.
Added a secondary gunpoint on every single missile slot, and boy lemme tell ya it was a massive slog.

Speaking of massive, I've begun working on a capship far bigger than any other capship I have finished. Either a battleship or a dreadnought, not too sure yet.

Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models

One issue here: Although your polycount is impressive, it does not look like 100k poly model. Mostly due to the coloring of all the greebles. Try to make them darker than main sections maybe? Or use both lighter and darker shades? It will highlight all the greebles.

thanks for the suggestion, you are absoultely right, i saw this problem too. i tried to play with colors on some areas, but the "internal" sections (under the front hull) remained so. the problem is, that i ran out of texture space, one 4096x4096x32 takes up 64M of texture RAM (uncompressed), which i do not know if it is too much or OK nowadays. my vga has "only" 512M so, 64M is about 12% of it... :) (i know the nv8600GT is not the "best" anymore :D )
as i promised to Wookieejedi, i show the texture layout of this model:

and this is how it looks on the model in 3D:
http:/www.lionsgi.com/blender/munificent_texlayout.png

as you can see i use the light green area (at the right bottom) of about 2600x800 pixels as a general greebles texture that covers up about 50% of the mostly visible area of the model. if we would unwrap the whole to see the interrior parts too (under the front hull section) we would come up with about 75% of total polygon area... yes, the internal parts despite they use about 27k polygons (1/4th of total polygons; thats the total polycount of the Consular class i made :D )  get lost in the surrondings because of this. unfortunately the front section with the big CIS logo uses a lot of room so i had to sacrifice other areas to keep it. anyway, i still have some unused area of 600x500pixels (at the right middle) i will try to play with that and hopefully i can improve it a bit :) i wanted to visualise this internal part of this model in that detail, because i think it would be cool, if one could just fly through it with a smaller craft, although i have not tried it (yet), if it would fit or work....

also others suggested AO baking would improve this. well, i have not ever tried that, but i am interrested in it. i have some concerns that it would not much improve this particular one, because it is mainly textured from the "outside" and the model is convex, so it does not cast self shadows on most parts... but i will try that if i get to it :D

if someone has spare time to play with this, i can give the model and the texture; it is a layered .svg, you can easily do anything (recolor, resize, modify)  with that

edit reason: i fixed a typo, but i am sure there are several left :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:33:21 am by LionSGI »
My models: Slave One EP2 , C-70 , C-70 red , Radiant VII , Munificent , Recusant , Providence
If You would like to join this project (Clone Wars mod for FreeSpace2Open), then do not hesitate to contact me; ANY help is welcome

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Don't be afraid of using multiple UV textures. My recent models like HTL Tereus use 2-3 just for the sake of texture quality. If you use Power of Detailboxes™, you will avoid lag. In fact, single texture for 100k poly model is madness. In your case, very good looking madness :P

I estimated 20-25k poly limit per single texture for my models. Unless you do some tricky mapping methods, like isles overlapping, go for multiple UVs. After thousands of mapped polys I rarely have problems with UV arrangement, but the worst thing is running out of UV space before you finish mapping. Multiple UVs provide all the freedom you need.

In this case, I would go for two textures. One for main section, and second for greebles. A lot of details may share the same UV space, because their AO will be almost identical. Looking at your UV alignment I see it's not too late to do this.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That file viewer is fantastic on my phone! !!  (Note 3)

Couldn't see the hangar though :/
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Me too.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models
i updated the colors on the Munificent as suggested (thanks Nyctaeus) , i added some contrast and fixed some untextured polygons (perhapas there are still several left that i have overseen :) )  i hope i did not went too far with the color shades, now the interior can be seen from bigger distance. i tried lighter/closer shades, but they were less distinctive. it depends much on the lighting, the WebGL scene is light other way than the GLSL in Blender, it makes a big difference. one have to put this into the game actually, to figure out the right colors...  i observed another thing: it depends on the monitor/screen you are using to view. a few weeks back i turned down the brightness on my monitors to .6, bacause my eyes hurt/burned when sitting too much on front of them. at work i have a different monitor, colors on it are less intense... i will leave this as it is for now, until i or somebody else has the time to put this into the game :)

@Colonol Dekker, Bryan See: if you are missing the hangar bay(s) from the Munificent, it is because it did not have any (they were really unnecessary for droids) the ILM/LucasFilm model did not have it either. i watched the TCW series and in it the Munificent had a small hangar. i guess it was a necessary solution to them, so they could use this ship for some episodes. if i remember right the Recusant had no hangars eiher. despite this, i will make a version with hangar later probably :)
i do not know how the Blend4Web viewer looks on todays smartphones; i am pretty oldfashioned, i only own a dumbphone (a RAZR V3 :D ) that i am still satisfied with :)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:30:55 am by LionSGI »
My models: Slave One EP2 , C-70 , C-70 red , Radiant VII , Munificent , Recusant , Providence
If You would like to join this project (Clone Wars mod for FreeSpace2Open), then do not hesitate to contact me; ANY help is welcome

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
My mistake.  I thought it was grievous flagship.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models
My mistake.  I thought it was grievous flagship.

that is yet to come, somewhere in the future :)

Offline starlord

great work on that ship.

Might be pushing it, but a subjugator or lucrehulk in the future would be the cake.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Infurrno!

Ye, whole Claymore family is being reworked by me and Rampage. Ramp is doing modelling part, I cover everything in PBR glory :]
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Awwwww, man, no engines on pods? That was one of the signatures of the Claymore line!
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

So this is the second child of the Claymore family?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Awwwww, man, no engines on pods? That was one of the signatures of the Claymore line!
Family is growing, design envolves. And sharp edges of the wings give it... Predatory look :)
So this is the second child of the Claymore family?
Ye, it's Clay II. I work on all three at the same time.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Will the Claymore I at least have the engines on the wings?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Nope. New versions have unique wings, but all follow the same aesthetics.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
The UIMS fleet from the UGSF series.

Y'all had said earlier that I didn't author 99.9 percent of them, but I actually did convert all these UIMS models ripped from the PSX games to FSO, which are nothing but placeholders for the high-poly makeovers. One of them is the UIMS Defiant Class (the other one is the Deathball A).

You may know the Defiant Class (not to be confused with the starship from Star Trek) from Star Ixiom and the bonus scenario featured in the PlayStation port of the theme park attraction, Galaxian 3.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline mr.WHO

Infurrno!

Ye, whole Claymore family is being reworked by me and Rampage. Ramp is doing modelling part, I cover everything in PBR glory :]

If original EAF Claymore and EAF Stentor had a child it would looks like this.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
woooooooooooooooooooooooow

MAN that's terrific! Nice work!  :D

For my part I am finally opening FRED back up and spending a few minutes a day reworking/renovating/cleaning up Lost for it's final major iteration.  :nod:  It feels good to work on it for a bit, a modding project that's not stressful.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

This is a very, very early WiP of a ship I've kind of wanted to do for a long time. I'm calling it a "Picket Ship" - Designed to be a sort of mobile anti-fighter vessel, about the size of a large bomber (40m long) intended to bulk up the anti-fighter defences of ships like the Orion. This thing lacks a subspace drive, and is meant to be purely defensive. Plasma cannons, flak cannons and a pair of AAA beams, plus forward weapons like a fighter, but those are relatively minor compared to its turrets. Class name is not yet decided, but I'm thinking either Dardanus or Chuditch.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp