Author Topic: Series Resurrecta is the best 2020 Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi in ModDB's MotYA  (Read 12328 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Series Resurrecta is the best 2020 Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi in ModDB's MotYA

On behalf of the SerRes Team I'm proud to announce to the public the astounding results of Series Resurrecta in ModDB's Mod of the Year Awards, 2020 Edition.

As you all probably know, this is a rather niche genre so we did not expect an overall major result in a world that is dominated by RTS and FPS games, but within the Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi genre, we achieved the following results. Again, thanks for voting SerRes!

1) Best Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi Mod of the Year released in 2020;

2) Second Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi Mod of the Year, right behind Crossfire, a 2015 Freelancer mod;

3) Best Mod of the Year based on the FreeSpace Open Engine;

4) Overall, 161st out of 43,950 mods hosted by the website;

For further information on how MotYA's voting system works, you may wish to read the Official Rules as well as this statement that includes additional details concerning SerRes' ranking. All of the claims posted above have been verified and approved by ModDB's founder and primary administrator.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:18:36 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Series Resurrecta is the best 2020 Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi in ModDB's MotYA
A) the final awards haven't been announced yet?

B) this mod isn't even in the top 100, Crossfire for Freelancer is; you're basically announcing that your mod has been knocked out of the running by Crossfire

C) did any other FreeSpace mods even enter?

This seems like announcing Kim Jong Un won best dictator in North Korea. If you define a field of one...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
All information concerning SerRes' ranking has been provided by ModDB admins who have access to all details concerning all mods that ranked between 101 and 160. Considering that the final competition is restricted to the Top 100, and considering that there's just one Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi mod in there, all points made are valid because positions 101 to 161 (and that'd include Series Resurrecta) are frozen at this point.

An admin in particular performed several queries using their search functions and confirmed what you can read in the very first post of this thread (a similar article has been published on SerRes' ModDB profile, also approved by ModDB's administration). Just to be 100% sure I was doing the same thing, all points listed above have been relayed to said admin prior to HLP posting, and the admin confirmed their consistency.

I was even told that Crossfire was allowed to 2020's MotYA edition (despite being a 2015 release), due to the fact that it's under constant upgrade and revision. Future MotYA contests may take into account the year of first release, though this is still uncertain.

Speaking of your "point C", there's no requirement for any mod to "participate" to this contest. All mods participate by default and fans can vote for them regardless of any other factor.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If "winning" a category of one motivates you, hey, keep at it. Can't argue with anything that gets missions out the door.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
In fact, we are working steadily on the next release. The only reason we're posting fewer screenshots than expected is due to most screenshots being so spoilerish they'd ruin the mood of the forthcoming SR pack. The Eyecandy Thread features several screenshots of what we're currently working on, and they're (mostly!) spoiler free.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
If "winning" a category of one motivates you, hey, keep at it. Can't argue with anything that gets missions out the door.

A mod won an award on ModDB, congratulations. Why is your first response immediately to compare its creators as Kim Jong Un and dismiss it as a field of one?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 05:11:32 pm by JSRNerdo »
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It didn't win an award on ModDB. I think that explains my response entirely: you think it did because this post is meant to be misleading. Nobody voted for Best Futuristic blah blah blah released in 2020. Nobody voted for Best Mod Based on the FreeSpace Open Engine. There are no such awards, they're invented.

This mod got the most votes from people asked to vote for a FreeSpace mod on ModDB Mod of the Year. That's all. If the designers find that empowering or motivating, sincerely more power to them; do what it takes to do the work.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:49:29 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I am one of the best FREDders on Earth. That's great, it makes me feel good. But there's like eight of us, and you could probably say three of them are in this thread.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Don't really know how ModDB awards work, but congrats!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
More broadly it irritates me to see any kind of parochialism or implied internal contest in a cathedral modding community. Even in the context of PC modding we're a droplet under the fridge. There are no stakes here; there is absolutely no reason to do anything in search of external validation unless you find that personally motivating (which, okay, go off). Declaring yourself Best Mod 2020 is just silly vanity.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Just let them have their fun!
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

i thought this was fair enough but the fact that these aren't official award categories and you actually placed number 161 and had to basically restrict the selection to find any reason to call yourself number 1 is really pretty pathetic :/
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's not pathetic, it's cool if it feels cool for em. Getting a release out the door at all is a significant feat and worthy of praise (especially these days). I just think it's a little silly to puff it up like this.

i thought this was fair enough but the fact that these aren't official award categories and you actually placed number 161 and had to basically restrict the selection to find any reason to call yourself number 1 is really pretty pathetic :/

LMFAO, says a guy who does not contribute :wakka: :wakka:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't agree with calling this pathetic, but you're just as wrong, Nightmare. Phantom does significant and important work on the FSO engine. He recently figured out what the **** is going on with side thrust and glide physics.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Deep analysis aside, being 161st out of 43,950 is preeeeetty darn good.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

It's not pathetic; it's calculated by taking into account the fact that Sci-Fi sims as we know them, except for sporadic games such as Star Wars: Squadrons, are a rather niche genre. I mean, look around you: what's this very website about, if not preserving a game and its genre within the context of videogaming?

The Top 100 list is literally filled with RTS and FPS games which are way more popular than FreeSpace. We knew since the beginning that it wasn't possible to compete against these genres in absolute terms, but we may have performed admirably in our own niche. Just one "Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi" mod, a Freelancer mod to be more precise, has achieved a better result compared to SR. A mod which happens to have been released in 2015, and definitely had more time to buildup a strong fanbase (the first release of SR, Shadows of the Great War, dates to mid October 2020).

Now, if you are wondering why FPS and RTS games are more popular, that's a topic for a completely different discussion.  :nod:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Deep analysis aside, being 161st out of 43,950 is preeeeetty darn good.

Yeah I mean I won't lie that's not bad. It shows this community can still turn out.

I just think it's silly to try to use that as an internal metric to judge Revived Series against other mods here on HLP. Which — to be fair — the original post only did once.

I'm not a big fan of zero sum competitions within the community. I think they tend to go bad places. Making a mountain out of ModDB ranking seems to at least lean that way.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I disagree; SR's position on ModDB has been consolidated over months of activity and steady work. We've uploaded content at regular intervals, published news and apparently attracted someone's attention. Some of the followers probably didn't even know about FreeSpace prior to watching SR's profile. This would normally qualify as something that deserves recognition because it contributes to what this community is about - promoting FreeSpace modding.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hey, if a steady PR campaign is actually paying off, more power. I'm impressed.

But I'd kind of want raw vote totals to judge that. If it's just 11 people who got a link on Discord and voted that's not necessarily grabbing new eyes.