Author Topic: What the f***edy f***ed f***?  (Read 7660 times)

Re: What the f***edy f***ed f***?
Children have trouble telling games from reality, and that's how it manifests.

Difficulty telling games from reality is very different from having a powerful imagination.

Example: When I was about 8, I decided that it would be cool to run away from home. I packed a tiny duffel bag with some clothes and snakes snacks, plugged the cord of my NES Zapper into the bag, stuck the zapper in my waistband, and was set to go. Not for a second did I contemplate actually running away or that somehow magically the zapper would actually zap anything, but I was dressed, kitted out, and ready to go. It felt cool.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:52:52 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Lorric

Children have trouble telling games from reality, and that's how it manifests.

Difficulty telling games from reality is very different from having a powerful imagination.

Example: When I was about 8, I decided that it would be cool to run away from home. I packed a tiny duffel bag with some clothes and snakes, plugged the cord of my NES Zapper into the bag, stuck the zapper in my waistband, and was set to go. Not for a second did I contemplate actually running away or that somehow magically the zapper would actually zap anything, but I was dressed, kitted out, and ready to go. It felt cool.
Is this an amusing correction by the spellcheck which is supposed to be snacks? :)

Is this an amusing correction by the spellcheck which is supposed to be snacks? :)

Sure :nervous:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

Example: When I was about 8, I decided that it would be cool to run away from home. I packed a tiny duffel bag with some clothes and snakes snacks, plugged the cord of my NES Zapper into the bag, stuck the zapper in my waistband, and was set to go. Not for a second did I contemplate actually running away or that somehow magically the zapper would actually zap anything, but I was dressed, kitted out, and ready to go. It felt cool.
It it varies between children. StarSlayer's example shows that he was honestly convinced he's Kyle Katarn. I've got two younger brothers and they also had episodes like this (nothing this serious, though, but annoying to no end). I remember doing that with my sister, too, though with TV cartoons and movies as well as games (we were very creative :) ). I'm sure there are other people with childhood stories like that. Those "studies that debunk that notion" might be true for children who happened to participate in them, but not for the entire population. I suppose I should've said "There are children who have trouble telling reality from games".

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Wat. I'm pretty damn sure StarSlayer was being sarcastic, Dragon.  :wtf:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed he was. One should take care to separate the deep immersion into stuff they like that kids are capable of, and an actual loss of real-world awareness. The latter is much, much rarer.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Indeed he was. One should take care to separate the deep immersion into stuff they like that kids are capable of, and an actual loss of real-world awareness. The latter is much, much rarer.

...and is diagnosed as a psychological disorder.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wat. I'm pretty damn sure StarSlayer was being sarcastic, Dragon.  :wtf:
Maybe he was, I can't really tell (I don't usually use sarcasm on internet because of this problem). It sounds plausible to me, kids do the weirdest things. Anyway, I was serious. :) I did have some problems telling fiction from reality, though often, this would simply take form of asking stupid questions. I'm pretty sure my younger brothers had it too, but it's hard to tell for anyone but myself. So it can happen, though I was hardly a normal child (so don't tell me about "diagnosed psychological disorders" :) I was diagnosed with a lot of stuff). None of us knows this kid, so it's hard to say for certain. Psychology isn't physics, any general statement is going to have numerous exceptions to it, people are just that diverse.

Regardless of that, deep immersion "playing" can have similar results, especially if a kid doesn't know just how serious matter a gun is. It's rather natural that kids are interested in things their parents use, especially if they also appear in some media. For example, I loved messing with our cars, though thankfully, aside from turning on the turn signals, spilling the power steering fluid misaligning the seats and mirrors and honking the horn (rarely, because parents quickly chased me out if I did that :)), I couldn't do much with it. There's no telling what I would've done if the keys were in the ignition, but they weren't (or if the parking brake was easier to release...). Of course, re-enecting "car scenes" from cartoons was a common pastime of both me and my sister. Now that I think of it (and remember how silly I used to be), it's perfectly possible that he was also "playing the guncraft guy" or something like that. I can certainly imagine myself doing that, if I wasn't specifically instructed to keep off the gun (I usually listened when told to keep clear of something dangerous. The "forbidden fruit" never really appealed to me).

Someone will most likely say it's all anecdotal evidence, but since I'm postulating this is possible, one example is enough. Unless somebody who knows the kid in question really well posts here, we'll never know what he was thinking. I think the kid's father is mostly right in this case, simply because he would know his child better than any of us. His explanation certainly sounds plausible to me.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Yeah, that was a joke.  For the record I did not go all Yoshimi at a Honda robotics conference. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, given all the crazy stuff children (and indeed, sometimes adults too!) can do, this sounded plausible to me. :) The only thing that's not right with it is that you probably wasn't that young by the time they could've showed ASIMO to a school trip (during it's early years, it was only shown at really big events). Given that one guy on another forum I lurk on once nearly starved his dog by telling his younger brother (in charge of feeding it) that they were fattening it for slaughter (thankfully, parents caught on and finally fed the poor thing), you'd better be careful when making jokes like that. I myself have a few childhood stories like that, though a bit less destructive. Common sense takes a while to develop, sometimes a long while. :)

Offline Lorric

Well, given all the crazy stuff children (and indeed, sometimes adults too!) can do, this sounded plausible to me. :) The only thing that's not right with it is that you probably wasn't that young by the time they could've showed ASIMO to a school trip (during it's early years, it was only shown at really big events). Given that one guy on another forum I lurk on once nearly starved his dog by telling his younger brother (in charge of feeding it) that they were fattening it for slaughter (thankfully, parents caught on and finally fed the poor thing), you'd better be careful when making jokes like that. I myself have a few childhood stories like that, though a bit less destructive. Common sense takes a while to develop, sometimes a long while. :)

You're making me very curious about your stories. :)

I have a friend who at 3 got his first look at Superman and immediately went to the top of the stairs, stuck his fist out in front of him, and jumped.

He was okay thankfully.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
think of it as a physics lesson.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline newman

Maybe he was, I can't really tell (I don't usually use sarcasm on internet because of this problem). It sounds plausible to me, kids do the weirdest things. Anyway, I was serious. :)

You can't get more obvious sarcasm than that, Dragon. No wall of text is going to change that.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

jesus that thread is filled with children! annoyin brats all AMIRITE!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Dere's CLANGERS on de mOOn, maaaaaaaaaan! :lol: