Poll

How would your hardware fare under my maniacal rule?

I would be unable to play freespace at all anymore (please post details)
1 (2.5%)
I probably wouldn't even notice a difference, given that I only ever run FS with all of the shader magic enabled
11 (27.5%)
I would still be able to play, but with problems (please post details)
3 (7.5%)
BURN IT! BURN THE FIXED FUNCTION PIPELINE TO ASH AND SALT THE EARTH WHERE IT STOOD! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
17 (42.5%)
I don't know what is going on here, could you show me back to my home, I want to go back to my nap now.
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Fixed Function Considered Harmful  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Fixed Function Considered Harmful
Yeah, BP didn't really branch out, but did include builds with cutting-edge features it needed, but that were not even stable enough for nightlies (at least in theory. I was using BP builds all the time, they were rather reliable). In fact, they were no different from test builds posed on this board, except for the more prompt update schedule and the fact they sometimes contained multiple unstable features at a time. It was something like Antipodes on steroids.
I think that here, branching is a bad idea. It adds a lot of overhead to manage yet another code branch, especially one that is not planned to be merged in at any point. Inferno was rather unproblematic, because the difference wasn't too drastic, and didn't affect key areas of the game like this one would.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We didn't need deferred lighting, we just wanted to give it a broad-base test so the SCP could get information on how it would affect end users.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
In that case, yeah (perhaps I should have said "wanted" instead of "needed" :) ), though remember that this feature also did affect the development. Without it running on a BP build, we wouldn't be able to add glowpoint lighting as fast as we did. So in a way, it was needed, because we wanted lighting for glowpoints. Hardly anything that would hold up the release, but hey, BP1 was originally written on 3.6.9, IIRC. :) Shadows would probably be a better example, since they didn't involve any table changes (though TBH, once shadows were implemented, they were kind of needed for everything, because they are just that awesome).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Unfortunately the implementation isn't really ready for prime time. Glowpoint lighting and shadows are being stripped out for the next release and moved to an optional package because they caused so many performance problems.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Hopefully I'll do my best to optimize it. The current deferred lighting and soft shadows build already has some optimizations for deferred lighting but the soft shadows kind of eliminates that performance boost. The next test build for deferred lighting and soft shadows will definitely be faster.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
So I have one of those dual laptop integrated with real card as well, and FSO (and some other games) refuse to see the second bin integrated card. I have to use noglsl (which is why I stopped trying to play, among other reasons). 

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Hopefully I'll do my best to optimize it. The current deferred lighting and soft shadows build already has some optimizations for deferred lighting but the soft shadows kind of eliminates that performance boost. The next test build for deferred lighting and soft shadows will definitely be faster.
Looking forward to it. Performance improvements are always welcome. I can hardly play without shadows now. :)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken