Author Topic: Specifications for the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter mission formats  (Read 8165 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Specifications for the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter mission formats
Anyone have them?  Or a link to them?

Apparently they're in HEX format, and you need to examine them byte-by-byte, like POFs.  There are several TIE Fighter mission editors out there, but none of them have mission spec references, or released source code, as far as I can tell.

Offline Axem

Re: Specifications for the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter mission formats
You might try asking Troy Dangerfield. He has a X-Wing mission editor (along with XvT and XWA) so he must know something about how they work.

http://troyed.com/x-wing/

I've got some kind of stats listed in my TIE Fighter strategy guide (it only covers the missions up to when Zaarin's plot to capture the Emperor fails and he escapes, though)

Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's not what I'm asking for.  Reread the first post.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
just curious, why do you want them?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
On my long-term to-do list is writing a mission importer from TIE Fighter to FRED2.  Or convincing somebody else to write it.

I think I remember seeing the hex code listing on a webpage once, but I didn't bookmark it. :sigh:

Offline Turambar

I approve.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Perhaps you could glean some information from using the Tie Fighter to XvT mission converter, or by having a look at the Tie Fighter Total Conversion missions?...Obviously I know nothing about these things.

But having the Tie Fighter campaigns reworked for FotG without having to start from scratch would be huge.  People would be knocking down the door to play it.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Problem is, I don't think any of that stuff was open source either, so while we have the start and the end result, we still can't see how they got there, just that there exists a process to do it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Also another problem would be simply rebalancing.  While we're taking inspiration from the X-Wing series, we're presenting a vastly different game and style, and thus, major rebalancing would be needed.  You'd probably be better off just remaking the missions themselves rather than trying to import them.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yup, ST:R style.  Although, it would be nice to see exactly how each mission was laid out, to catch any hidden stuff that might be in there.  For reference.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
That's too bad that the people who made the editors can't be found.  The only other thing I could think of would be to ask at the TG X-Wing forum.  I seem to remember reading from one of the original guys there that he would have loved to make source code available if it weren't impossible on account of Lucasarts.  It would seem to make sense for TG to create their mission building utility separately from the game-specific SW stuff in case they wanted to make an original sim in the future, but knowing Lucas, they might be hamstrung in that regard too.  All of this is assuming that they'd want to take the time to help out, too.

But it would be very nice...such a lot of good, meat & potatoes missions...Mmmm potatoes.

Offline Turambar

I very much like the idea of making a ST:R version of TIE Fighter.  We could even tweak things slightly to have events lock in with the galactic story as it is.

We have much work to do before that happens, however.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'll have to talk to my brother about it, he wrote one of the very first editors for XWing using Turbo Pascal iirc. At least long enough ago that it was spread through bulletin boards, not the Internet.

Not sure how much he'll remember, but I do remember staying up at night with a Hex viewer trying to find key values, and tweaking them to see if they did what you thought they did ;)

I doubt he still has the source code, but it's worth a try, that might save you some trouble.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bleh.  Someone who claimed they had information on the mission formats requested to be added to my buddy list, but I clicked "Accept" and the window vanished, taking the ICQ number with it. :nervous:  Could whoever it is message me again?

This is just a hunch, and it might go absolutely nowhere, but you might try asking over at the XWA Upgrade Project.  http://xwaupgrade.com/  They're just redoing the models rather than converting source code, but someone there might know something. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Whoever-it-was was kind enough to contact me on ICQ again, and sent me this:
http://www.quantumg.net/xwing_format.php
http://staff.hard-light.net/goober5000/xwing-tiefighter.zip

Looks promising.  I won't have a chance to look at them thoroughly until January or later, but at least the tools are still available. :)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Bumping to bring this back from the grave for my own nefarious purposes.  Muahahaha!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:yes: Does this mean niffiwan's mission converter for TIE Fighter will be used in FotG?

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
:yes: Does this mean niffiwan's mission converter for TIE Fighter will be used in FotG?
Something along those lines ;)