Author Topic: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread  (Read 97317 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread
Is there a list of all the new stuff included in .12?
So far, I know of the Hattie, Cain/Lilith, missile trails, explosions, beam piercing, flashy deaths, and that's all I know about.
What other ships or effects got a noticible change or upgrade?

new shine maps for the ships and burning debries

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Matt's probably right.

The model in target box uses default lighting settings (low emphasis on anything except emissive and ambient light) while the thing you actually see flying around uses whatever custom lighting tags you've set. If you have -no_emissive_light as a tag, Shivan ships (and all ships, actually) will probably look a lot darker than their target view.

I see. I'm assuming there's no way to change it so the target box uses custom tags as well, as otherwise it probably would have been done by now, yeah? Oh well, if that's the only quarrel I can find with the MVPs (which it is) then it's a small price to pay and they are truly amazing! w00t! Now excuse me, I'm off to watch the Colossus defeat a Sathanas.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Kolgena

There probably is a way at the cost of a little bit of processing power.

Mainly, I don't see the point. The target box gives you a lit up target so you can see its orientation and exactly what it is. If it gave you a model lit similarly to what you often see in missions, which is a pretty dark silhouette, it'd be akin to saying "Name that Pokemon!" when you really need to know the class and orientation to figure out which turrets are facing where.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Leviathan has armored plates in some sections, and both the Fenris and Leviathan have glowpoints now. HTL Tauret and Bakha, multipart turrets make mechanical noise when rotating or adjusting angle, the Ursa has a normal map (Unless that was just WiH), HTL Dragon, that's all I can think of. There's probably a lot of other changes that you'd have to look deep for.

The Ulysses still has that missing strip of texture on the front.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
both the Fenris and Leviathan have glowpoints now.
I did those! :D
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
And I say good job, gives it more life. :)

Now all we need is an update to FSPORT and we're all set  ;7

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It's on its way.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Sweet.  Great job guys. I wish I had 1/10th of your talent. 

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I liked the less-spikey glowpoints from older mediavps releases... especially for large glows, like the big ones on the sides of the Fenris.

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
This new version 3.6.12  is great. So shiny :) and debris looking great with the flames :)  Great work guys. Thank you for this.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Ulysses still has that missing strip of texture on the front.
Heh, you're right, it does.  That thing's managed to stick around for an impressive length of time. :p

Hm...
I dont know what i am doing wrong,  but Freespace doesnt work.
I have 2 Computer,  XP and Windows 7 - Same Hardware.

I installed OpenAL, Freespace 2 (new installed), and downloaded with the Java-Downloader the 3.6.12-Files. I have installed the Launcher 5.5f , and did ALL steps from the Install-Notes on this Website. It dont work :(   I have tried all Options in the Launcher,  some other Retail-Files (Freespace.exe) and I have installed ALL new !  - No option, After i click on "Run"  it takes 5 Seconds and crashes "The Program isnt responding and have to be closed"

(my translation from german into english, sry is not good, as i know ^^ )
My english isnt very good. Please forgive me :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Delete the file called multi-mission-pack.vp. Should that not fix it, consult the FSO FAQ, generate an fs2_open.log, and make a new post in the FSO Support board.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Damn !  o.o  it worked !!!   I invested about twelve hours for that solution ?! xDD   Im so happy.  THANK YOU !! ^^
My english isnt very good. Please forgive me :)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Delete the file called multi-mission-pack.vp. Should that not fix it, consult the FSO FAQ, generate an fs2_open.log, and make a new post in the FSO Support board.

mine works just fine with this VP in the fs2 directory.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Which should tell you one thing. That your multi-mission.vp isn't corrupted.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I hope this is also the post where we can say thank you to all who helped getting this going.

Yesterday at 9 pm I had a very good game with somewhat *rusty* graphics.

2 hours later I had a very good game with awesome graphics effects and everything. You even managed to write a walkthrough for the installation that even I could understand  :D

So great job everyone I am really looking forward to get additional campaigns and mods from this page.

Offline Kolgena

Er.

Since the Hatchepsut thread got locked, I'm going to bring  up the issue here. I remember Zacam (or somebody) saying that they would take a look at getting the model's glow maps fixed. Is that still happening?

Is it just me or have beams gotten bigger?  Specifically, I'm referring to the size of the "pre-beam" plasma glow that you see before the beam actually fires.  Personally I find some of the larger beams to get a little rificulous, sometimes enveloping large portions of the ship and making it harder to pinpoint where the beam is coming from.  Just my two cents.