Author Topic: Unification War Release  (Read 48957 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Unification War Release
Now it works... well. I had to screw up SOMETHING while unpacking... Sorry for unnecessary spam, i really thought that something's wrong.
Enjoy! :)

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
Hello world!

I had a good overall feeling about this campaign after playing first act, although I had to get over it after the idea that it feels like a time travel through stone age of space combat. Man! people really had to deal with only this radar with green and red dots? Well they have all my respect.

I played full chapter at medium difficulty lvl, now it's been released I think you can forget about other acts I II and III. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Before I can continue I beg you not to get me wrong, I can be very critical on some aspects either of the gameplay or the story, but I'm never complaining. I understand this is the way the authors wanted things to be and I (almost) fully agree. Think of it as what Juan or Brock (no, not brock  :hopping: ) would have said if they were in my pants. ok?

So my first advise would be: just play with -orbradar and -targetinfo options, this will give you a better immersive experience IMO and you'll find this antediluvian targeting system more helpful.

Just as certain people did in the thread I sometimes felt like I'm on the wrong side of the road. But if you think of it people who voted Bush for president didn't leave the country after war began in Iraq. So this part of the story *had* to make you feel uncomfortable with decisions which IRL would be beyond your power to change them, and you would continue to live with it wouldn't you? No really the screenplay (is that the good word?) is rock solid for me.

I already played diaspora so the physics didn't disturb me at all, it reminds you once again that it was a different time.

Now for the things I found "bad":

Why not have only the circle as the center of reticle, the blob around it makes it totally inefficient and useless and ugly (although perfectly outdated  :yes: )

I found myself using time compression too often, but maybe I'm too impatient, I don't know.

Spoiler:
At the beginning of mission "pride of luna" Alpha wing of Mustangs alpha is assigned to attack Cape town, a capship, while wing gamma of Atlas bombers is assigned to cover alpha. Every time I had to start again this mission I had to reassign orders by reversing their roles, which at some point began to make me upset.
So allow me to relieve my burden here:
-What the heck were you thinking about when you decided that a wing of bombers should cover a wing of fighters?

[place whichever Zen techniques here]
I suspected there was a good reason but didn't find any.

I found "Charge of the greys" the most insanely difficult mission of this campaign.
Spoiler:
Did someone really manage to save all 4 Hyperion frigates and take down every carrier and frigate? I eventually doubted that but if anyone who is reading this could explain to me how it's possible I'd be grateful. And please don't tell me to select another difficulty lvl because if I wanted things to be easier I would have gone play pong instead of retrying it 28+ times in a row (true!).

Voilà!
That's all I have in mind right now after finishing it a couple of hours ago, along with an impression that you've achieve an amazing work, I wish I had such an imagination.
Guys you make me want to go back to FREDding you know.

:v-old: A+
Jack H.
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for the feedback. :yes:

I certainly think that UW worked better as a story than a campaign.  I thought up a great story for the campaign reference, with twists and turns and recurring characters, but we ran into a large number of difficulties transforming that story into a playable game.  The requirement to "dumb down" many technologies such as the radar and the HUD caused some frustration.  And we had to make several compromises, such as giving identical fleets to all the factions.

Ultimately, UW is most valuable for the lessons it provides in feature creep and project management.  I recommend reading this thread and this thread for more perspectives.

Enjoying playing this so far, but I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm trying to find and download all the HTL versions of the various craft of the game, but I don't know how to install them.  :confused:

Would anyone be able to help me with this, still?

Anyway, still, a very fun outing, I greatly enjoy the way fighters move, and the fact that I need to conserve my ammunition instead of being able to just fire indefinetly. But above all, the lack of targeting and having to manually spot and lead targets is really great. Shame it does terrible things to wingman commands.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Heya Shepard. It's great to hear you've been enjoying it!

As far as I am aware, since no changes have been made to things like the model's gun ports, number of turrets etc, all you'll need to do for the HTL models (which IIRC are so far the Mustangs and the Shrike courtesy of BTA) is access (or make if it is not there) a 'data' folder in U-war's mod folder, then put in that folder the files of the models, in subfolders based on what kind of file they are (the ship POF files go into a 'models' folder, and any textures with them should go into a 'maps' folder). These should then override the non-HTL files and work fine in game.

Hope that is of help. :) Let me know if there are any problems.

EDIT: If you find one of the HTL models is all set up but in game isn't being used, it is possible the name of the HTL POF file doesn't match the non-HTL one (which it will need to in order to override it). That can easily be fixed though by renaming it and I should be able to provide the names you'll want them to be :yes:.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:30:14 pm by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Not far enough along to test the Mustang variants yet, and I can't find if there's an HTL for the Falcon or Atlas, nor where the Kestrel's might be.

But the shrike def isn't working, and after putting the Shrike and Mustang HTL files into the data folder, I get a pop up when loading of there being 70 errors.

Additionally, if cockpits are supposed to show up, then they don't seem to be showing up. (I don't know if I have to turn those on somehow, though.)

Sorry, A bit of a modding incompetent, here.   :nervous:

EDIT: Well . . .

I 'fixed' the Shrike by going through and changing the Shrike files from 'HTLShrike . . .' to just 'Shrike'. Unfortuantely, I still get the error message, and when I checked the Tech room, the Shrike model was only showing the cockpit. Just the cockpit. The rest of it was either pitch black, or invisible.

EDIT 2: Yup. The shrike is Definetly invisible save the cockpit.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:40:44 pm by shepard1707 »

Offline Lorric

You guys are going to unleash an improved version of this campaign at some point, right?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=69901.msg1722874#msg1722874

Will that have the best ships in it anyway, so all shepard1707 would have to do is sit back and wait for it to come out?

Offline T-Man

You guys are going to unleash an improved version of this campaign at some point, right?

We are indeed. Can't say for sure exactly when it'll be out (we all became quite busy this lately) but it is quite advanced if I recall right so should not be too long.

I'm really sorry Shepard but wont be able to have a look at this till the morning (is hitting 2 in the morning where I am); should hopefully be able to get to the bottom of it in the morning though.

No probs. I can play without the pretty shiney models just as fine as with them. :)

EDIT: By the way. If you guys need a voice actor, I would not mind doing some voice work for this. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:20:12 pm by shepard1707 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I should finish this someday...

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline T-Man

Oooh, That's looking great mjn! Especially like those raised ribs you've put just behind the cockpit; is a nice touch :yes:.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

We are indeed. Can't say for sure exactly when it'll be out (we all became quite busy this lately) but it is quite advanced if I recall right so should not be too long.

I'm really sorry Shepard but wont be able to have a look at this till the morning (is hitting 2 in the morning where I am); should hopefully be able to get to the bottom of it in the morning though.

Sure enough. It's actually pretty close to being finished, but we ran into a bit of a snag- Admiral Nelson disappeared, and without him progress has been kinda difficult. The update is a huge improvement though (I would know, I did most of the playtesting :P )
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline yomi

Does anyone has working link for this? Op ones apear to be down

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
http://tvwp.hard-light.net/website/ Go to the downloads section
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline yomi

Thank you sooo much <3

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I fixed the links in the first post; thanks for the heads-up.

i cant skip tutorial 2 i know how to fly
can someone fix it

heres log i try to skip tutorial 2 https://fsnebula.org/log/5b91251dcb0d331d26549759

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
i cant skip tutorial 2 i know how to fly
That's a feature, not a bug.  The second training mission is also partially a real mission, so it can't be skipped.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

why you call it training mission while it isnt

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Because even training missions can go wrong?

Maybe try playing the mission before complaining about it first?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:05:23 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta