Author Topic: HTL Hermes  (Read 22440 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Fantastic and impressive work.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Those LODs are way too heavy. You should use the lowest one in there as LOD1, with the retail model as LOD2 and a simple cube as LOD3.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Those LODs are way too heavy. You should use the lowest one in there as LOD1, with the retail model as LOD2 and a simple cube as LOD3.
They've been revised, and Axem's advice was to have their polyconts be 4700 (the first lod, triangulated) to 1500 polies, to 600, to 200, and that's how the current lods are that are up in the FTP.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

new engine on the left.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
They've been revised, and Axem's advice was to have their polyconts be 4700 (the first lod, triangulated) to 1500 polies, to 600, to 200, and that's how the current lods are that are up in the FTP.

Still too heavy, IMHO. For a ship this small LOD3 ought to be no more than a 12-polygon cube. On all but the very lowest detail settings, it will only be used if the pod is the size of four or five pixels.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kolgena

Whoa. Talk about speed modeling. How did a new mesh come into existence here since the last time I logged in?

Looks fantastic. Give it higher res textures! :P

Offline Hades

I smoothed some parts to make it less sharp.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I liked it better sharp. now it looks like a blob.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I like the current shape. A texture will give it more definition, but I think this mesh looks good and is certainly suitable.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Kolgena

I liked it better sharp. now it looks like a blob.

Maybe I'm just used to seeing a Hermes with knife-sharp edges, but now it looks like putty, instead of a tough escape pod.

Offline Hades

How about this?
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Good compromise  :yes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Better, but I still prefer the one with the blocky sharp edges.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Well I like the current one.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Kolgena

Okay, the outside's good enough.

So when are you starting work on the interior?

I kid

Offline Hades

Mesh is done now, gonna redo LODs and send it to Zacam so he can UVMap and texture it.

Also, a comparison of it to the retail mesh;
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
needz moar AO

Offline Hades

As the LODs are done, it is ready for UVMapping and texturing.

Detail0: 5080 triangles, Detail1: 1174 triangles, Detail2: 132 triangles, and Detail3: 44 triangles.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:37:44 am by Had-- »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Much better!

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Maybe I'm just used to seeing a Hermes with knife-sharp edges, but now it looks like putty, instead of a tough escape pod.
They were tough? :lol: