Author Topic: RELEASE - The Lost 2_ HUD: Rebuilt! - Updated February 3 2018  (Read 28654 times)

Offline SL1

Re: RELEASE - The Lost 2_ HUD: Rebuilt! - Updated February 3 2018
I think I have a solution for the lead sight color issue. What I did was extract leadsight-hdg.tbm from the VP, remove the Color section completely, and place the edited file in Data/Tables. I got the idea when I looked at Diaspora's hud_gauges.tbl and noticed that it didn't have any Color section for its lead sight. It now changes color to match the rest of the HUD. More precisely, it changes to the color you choose with "Select All" in the HUD config menu. It looks like you can't change its color independently like you can with the other gauges (which makes sense - it's a completely new gauge that the game wasn't designed with, after all). This isn't a problem for me, because I like to have all the gauges use the same color, but it could be a bit inconvenient for people who like to use different colors for individual gauges. What you'd have to do is use "Select All" to choose your lead sight color and then change the other gauges one by one. That's not a huge problem, though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:08:46 am by SL1 »

Offline emark4

Okay so here's the BP-style hud mod. It's a little larger than the other ones because I wanted it to work seamlessly with BP as well. That's why the text for the gauge is Arial (just like BP).

And there's a leadsight mod. It doesn't remove the other recticle, due to the way that modular hud gauges are designed. Basically gauges all just stack up on each other, there's no easy way to remove a default gauge. Note, it seems to be stuck as a green gauge, I don't know why... Also I took Diaspora's graphic for the leadsight.

The AX2 HUD-BP kinda breaks the database (not the tech room). The dossiers & the pilots log have very tiny fonts now and the intellegence section just brings an error message. Fortunately the mod works fine in gameplay but not when browsing throught the BP verse.

Offline SL1

Is there anything I can do to make this mod's HUD take priority in campaigns that make their own changes to the HUD? I've just started Venice Mirror, and it seems to use a version of this mod, but the message box is back to the upper left corner and the text is too small. I've tried copying mv_root-hdg.tbm from my MediaVPs_2014 folder and pasting it in a "tables" folder for Venice Mirror, as well as extracting Venice Mirror's axmessage.cfg file into a "config" folder. The reticle is now smaller and the talking head is below it, like in my config, but the message box is still in the upper left corner with small text.

Offline Axem

I'm going to get back to you two sometime soon when I have a clear mind and it's not lagged due to terrible time changes.

I just want to mention too that FS HUD behavior is pretty tricky to work with, especially when attempting to override other HUDs. I hope I can come up with some solution for you.

Offline SL1

I'm going to get back to you two sometime soon when I have a clear mind and it's not lagged due to terrible time changes.

I just want to mention too that FS HUD behavior is pretty tricky to work with, especially when attempting to override other HUDs. I hope I can come up with some solution for you.

Take your time. It's cool. I already feel kind of bad anyway for bothering you about little things (like simply moving gauges around) that turned out to be easy for me to deal with myself. I hope I was able to help a bit by figuring out the lead sight color thing.

You're definitely right that HUD stuff is weird. I would have expected it to be more of an all-or-nothing kind of thing, instead of what we have here where you can get some changes to work and not others. If you ask me, I think it would be a better idea for people making campaigns to simply leave the HUD alone and let people decide which HUD mod they want to use, if any. I know a lot of newer campaigns are using special HUD elements, like the proximity monitor in Scroll of Atankharzim, but I got that campaign and this HUD mod working together just fine after some initial problems with fonts. It doesn't seem like it's strictly necessary to change the whole HUD just to allow for the addition of new stuff.

Offline Axem

Yeah, one side of it is mods need to make their own HUD gauges for special instances and I have no control over how they do that.

The other side of it is that HUD gauges are accumulative/additive, so unless you override the exact HUD gauges file the mod is using, you're doing to end up with duplicate gauges. All of this makes it hard for me to make a single HUD mod that works for everyone in any instance. Worse yet is when we dive into new fonts and how other mods use them differently (like the BP issue).

The issues are probably not hard to fix, they just take time to look into and testing. If either of you want to look into it and let me know what changes that need to be made, that's be super duper. I mostly do modding on the weekends (and if Spoon give me a break), so you'd need to wait in line as it were. :p

So it looks like the FS1 style HUD doesn't scale for me anymore. The message script as well as both the FS2 and BP versions still work beautifully. Any idea what could be wrong?

This mod's practically essential for playing at 1440p and I'm finding it pretty difficult to play without it.

Offline SL1

As for "removing" gauges you can totally do it in tbms either by setting their coordinates way offscreen or using a completely transparent 1x1 .png image. The first "+lead indicator" table entry will overwrite the retail gauge so you can just set that up to use an empty png to disable it(because AFAIK you can't actually change its position).

I somehow missed it before, but I wanted to say thanks for this. Having the old lead indicator still be there was getting a little annoying, especially when trying to snipe turrets from a distance, and this method of removing it worked for everything (except Wings of Dawn, for some reason).

Offline Drogean

• Steam
So it looks like the FS1 style HUD doesn't scale for me anymore. The message script as well as both the FS2 and BP versions still work beautifully. Any idea what could be wrong?

This mod's practically essential for playing at 1440p and I'm finding it pretty difficult to play without it.

A little late to the game but I'm playing this now during quarantine in 2020 so just trying to improve the FSO experience
For anyone visiting in 2020 and is looking for a 4k compatible HUD that's working, I've gone ahead and fixed these HUDS for the newest FreeSpace Open/MVPS builds
They also include new fonts for use with the new font-engine so everything looks crisp on the mission briefings

Compatible with FreeSpace Open MVPS Graphics pack and Freespace 1 Port, but can probably be adapter for other mods
I use Knossis and just dropped the original file and these into my MVPS folder

6/15 Update: fixed all links to be public

4k HUD and Text Fix for FreeSpace 2
Description
Creates a HD 4k scaled HUD for the game using the new font system and converts all hard-coded ingame text font into a scalable true-type font - creating crisp text on mission briefings and ingame.

Compatibility:
Designed for 4k, most likely compatible with 1080p and above

Instructions:

This guide assumes you installed using Knossos

1. First download Axem's Freespace 2 HUD from the OP HERE ( MIRROR )
and unzip to your FreeSpaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-4.2.3 or equivalent MVPS folder

2. Then download my fixed files https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WXzANU2j6zxtTvwRhd6ZFUvORPOfIqIh/view?usp=sharing  and unzip to your FreeSpaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-4.2.3\ folder (or MVPS equivalent folder based on your version)

Credits: Axem's script and Dagger's graphics

HD HUD and Text for FS1 Port for FreeSpace 2
Description
Designed for FreeSpace 1 port on Freespace 2 Engine. Creates a HD 4k scaled HUD for the game using the new font system and converts all hard-coded ingame text font into a scalable true-type font - creating crisp text on mission briefings and ingame.

Changelog:
6/14: Found bug with backlog font size in script affecting training text, adjusted size to mitigate

1. First download Axem's Freespace 2 HUD from the OP HERE and unzip to your FreeSpaceOpen\FS2\fsport-mediavps-3.7.2\ or equivalent FS1 Port + MVPS folder

2. Then download my fixed files https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JkuLy77-T81RhDjTFABNmxO3C_xpntUi/view?usp=sharing and unzip to your FreeSpaceOpen\FS2\fsport-mediavps-3.7.2\ folder (or FS1 Port + MVPS equivalent folder based on your version)

Credits: Axem's script and Dagger's graphics

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:25:44 pm by Drogean »

Offline kraetos

This is great, thank you! Could this mod be added to Knossos? That would make it a lot easier to find!

4k HUD and Text Fix for FreeSpace 2

My friend, you just made my day! I know I'm kinda late in finding this, but I just reinstalled FSO today after being away for a long time. I was digging for Axem's old HUD mod only to be pleasantly surprised that you'd fixed the exact issue that was bugging me years ago!

So huge thanks to you for the fixes (and, of course, to Axem for the original mod)! This is still essential for playing FreeSpace on modern resolutions.