Author Topic: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)  (Read 115199 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
Because it's not a trade-off; you can either fly at afterburner speeds indefinitely, or you can fly at afterburner speeds for a limited time. One of those is strictly better than the other.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
Well, especially in B5 this actually seems to be more true to the original show.

In one of the first episodes in Season 1 Ivanova escapes a Squadron of Raiders in exactly this manner.

After the introduction of the White Star i actually had never the impression that B5 uses Newtonian Physics anymore. If this would be a case, some of the battles in Season 4 and some of White Star's maneuver seems to be hard to imagine. Or the ships in B5 are slow as their Freespace Counterparts.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:30:33 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
B5 made a very specific choice to have only Earth ships follow Newtonian physics. Everyone else uses drive mechanisms that aren't based on gas exhaust, and thus uses different physics.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wesp5

B5 made a very specific choice to have only Earth ships follow Newtonian physics.

I think this was also valid for the Narn and other younger spacefaring races. The White Star was a Vorlon/Minbari hybrid spaceship and had gravitational engines. In fact I disliked that it sometimes showed kind of nozzle flames on his outer wings which made no sense regarding the tech is was based upon!

Thing is, Narn tech is basically captured/reverse engineered Centauri tech. So there's no reason they wouldn't have gravitic drives when the Centauri do.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
As I understand it, the Centauri posses artificial gravity and partial gravitic drive, enough to assist in endurance and acceleration, but not on the level of the Minbari.  The Narn may have captured Centauri tech, but all literature I've encountered (depending on how cannon it is) have indicated that the Narn don't have gravity drive or artificial gravity yet, but their physiology isn't as prone to bone and muscle atrophy as Humans, so they don't need artificial gravity.  In the few times we've seen the interior of Narn warships, we haven't seen any indication of people walking around, and everyone has seat straps on.

As for the White Stars having gravity and thruster engines, think of the difference on space probes which have chemical or ion engines.  One is better at short term speed boosts, but uses its fuel fast.  The other has a lower thrust per second capability, but it is far more efficient in the long term.  The thruster engines on the White Star provide acceleration boosts that the gravity engines alone cannot produce, so the ship uses both to provide the best speed and acceleration.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

So glad to see the work being done for this. Thanks to all involved

Offline wesp5

In the few times we've seen the interior of Narn warships, we haven't seen any indication of people walking around, and everyone has seat straps on.

I think JMS confirmed that Narn have no artificial gravity in one of his comments. The really sad thing is that the EA Omerga destroyers even show the same beam openings in the front as the Narn cruisers but due to a misunderstanding their huge power beams were rendered coming out of some small side guns...

The thruster engines on the White Star provide acceleration boosts that the gravity engines alone cannot produce, so the ship uses both to provide the best speed and acceleration.

I don't believe this as both Minbari and Vorlon fighers move fine and quick with graviational engines only. I also dislike the exposed bridge of the White Star and only half hologramic view, both which are not visible in other Minbari or Vorlon ships. These are very probably all concessions to pimping it optically a bit up...

Offline wesp5

So almost a year has gone by since the start of the thread and nothing has been released. Are you still waiting for something or are you silently working behind the scenes? I had to fix two of the Vorlon campaign missions in my Star Fury Patch recently to make them work with fs2 3.6.9 if people installed the old version, so it would be really cool to have a complete new version with the latest fs2 release active! Also could we somehow include the unused "Into the fire" game music into TBP 3.5? I included a lot of unused music from the original Bloodlines composer Rik Schaffer into my Unofficial Patch because he not only allowed me to do so, but was glad his work was not wasted. Maybe Christopher Franke thinks similar...

It would have been nice to see more progress. I stirred up a lot of interest in the B5 room and would have liked to bring in some new players.  But such is life with priorities of the real world.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well I am also hoping for some progress, this would be a great one to get into Knossos and really test how it handles TC support, especially with all the optional campaigns (unless it all just gets bundled into one giant TC package, which would probably be fine too).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I've been working on polishing up missions when I have time.
I'd like to get the core TBP files on Knossos and include Raider Wars, since that's the best of the bundled campaigns.  After that, we could release the other ones as they are refreshed.  I don't know what Karajorma wants to do though.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That sounds like a plan to me. We can add the other campaigns later as part of a Knossos update. Thanks to the way Knossos works there's no real need to make a big, one time update.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I've been working on polishing up missions when I have time.
I'd like to get the core TBP files on Knossos and include Raider Wars, since that's the best of the bundled campaigns.  After that, we could release the other ones as they are refreshed.  I don't know what Karajorma wants to do though.

Sounds awesome

Not to sound too impatient but I was wondering how close this update is to getting uploaded to the Krossos launcher?

The Facebook Babylon 5 room is very active lately. A lot seem eager to play this the last time I mentioned it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYloWBP79ro

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm currently playing through Raider Wars. If you want to help playtest I can always give you SVN access.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

PM sent.   

What version of FSO is working with TBP currently in SVN?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
What version of FSO is working with TBP currently in SVN?
3.8.0 or later.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Thats great. I PM'd for a SVN password to check it out