Author Topic: Could this be the year?  (Read 12879 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Could this be the year?
Frankly, I would be content with a 2017 re-enactment of this mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_x3whCGQ-s&t=2s so people could see how far we have gotten.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Well, you could go for a different style of trailer I guess. Gameplay trailers are 'in' these days anyway, so capturing gameplay footage and then cutting in some non-action beauty shots wouldn't be too bad. You could also use the screencam script to capture some flyovers of capship combat that doesn't involve the player or let the AI control the player craft while you control the camera. Setting the player to use AI and giving it a highly competent AI class shouldn't be too much work.

Obviously, it's not my place to tell you how to make a trailer for your mod but it's a possibility.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
A few beauty shots, some small flashes of actual gameplay, some larger fleet shots, some more gameplay, end trailer. Attention spans are short today.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Well here it is 2018.  I am not sure there is any hope this will ever be released. Too bad wookieejedi stopped development on his Star Wars: The Original Trilogy Mod as it was coming along nicely and in a very timely manner. It showed so much promise.

Not trying to be negative but many of us have been watching for this total conversion for a number of years.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I don't intend to let FotG die unreleased ;) 

I've mentioned this a few times on Discord, but 2017 was absolutely nuts for me at work and was very busy for others in the team.

As far as progress goes, there's 31 issues logged in our mantis that we want fixed before public release, 10 of those we want fixed before a beta release. (So far, more will probably appear of course!) There's a mixture of playtesting & fixing campaigns, merging code to FSO, scripting fixes, model updates & fixes (e.g. debris, lods, missing maps), making some of the in game cutscenes more exciting, updating HUD shield icons, etc. There's too many skillsets required for a single person to complete this alone, but hopefully the team can get some time this year to make some good progress.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Per TopAces comment (6 months ago!) here's a (similar) mission rerecorded with how the gameplay currently looks.

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Well here it is 2018.  I am not sure there is any hope this will ever be released. Too bad wookieejedi stopped development on his Star Wars: The Original Trilogy Mod as it was coming along nicely and in a very timely manner. It showed so much promise.

Not trying to be negative but many of us have been watching for this total conversion for a number of years.

As niffiwan stated, I too don't intend to let FotG die unreleased. I appreciate the comments on the OT mod, though in all honesty that mod had gone about as far as I could take it alone (there were many issues below the hood regarding models and scp code I could not do alone). Similarly, the OT mod have very few large ships, severely limiting mission diversity. As niffiwan mentioned the code fixes that will be incorporated into FotG will be vital for long term stability and game-play fidelity. Overall FotG is quite larger, more stable and comprehensive then anything I could have done with the OT mod. With that being said, I will do my best to accomplish all the goals I have within FotG to ensure we can share what we are working on with the community sooner rather then later  :) 

Thanks for the update

Offline Dain

Per TopAces comment (6 months ago!) here's a (similar) mission rerecorded with how the gameplay currently looks.

I feel this should get a bit more attention outside the FOTG board!

I like how fast the combat feels. Been playing XWA a fair bit again recently and combat feels fairly sluggish compared to the movies, especially if you're recharging your weapons at a high rate.

I don't know if this an accurate observation but it seemed like the TIEs were flying fairly close to the rebel cruisers with not too much in the way of ill effects. This is another thing that I feel the X-wing games differ from the movies in. In the films, fighters fly really close to the surface of capital ships all the time, but in the X-wing games this is almost certainly a recipe for near immediate destruction. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that in the films capital ships spend most of their time slugging it out with other capital ships rather than swatting down fighters.

Offline wookieejedi

I feel this should get a bit more attention outside the FOTG board!

I like how fast the combat feels. Been playing XWA a fair bit again recently and combat feels fairly sluggish compared to the movies, especially if you're recharging your weapons at a high rate.

I don't know if this an accurate observation but it seemed like the TIEs were flying fairly close to the rebel cruisers with not too much in the way of ill effects. This is another thing that I feel the X-wing games differ from the movies in. In the films, fighters fly really close to the surface of capital ships all the time, but in the X-wing games this is almost certainly a recipe for near immediate destruction. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that in the films capital ships spend most of their time slugging it out with other capital ships rather than swatting down fighters.

The goal is to match the movies as best as possible, not make a copy of any previous X-wing, etc. Similarly, fighters can get away with strafing near large ships if they are quick and maneuver enough, again similar to the movies. Taking out a capital ship in a fighter isn't a valid option, but a fighter can still play a vital role in assisting to take down a larger ship.

Offline wesp5

There's too many skillsets required for a single person to complete this alone, but hopefully the team can get some time this year to make some good progress.

Which is why I recommend to release an open beta as soon as possible! Not only will it raise attention for the project, it will also very probably give you dozends of playtesters to find stuff you would never see yourself unless you were playing missions over and over again. Also I was just watching the video linked here and I was wondering what those ugly capital ships were. Are these standins for the blockade runner? Because I can't remember ever seing them and they don't look too good...

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
There's too many skillsets required for a single person to complete this alone, but hopefully the team can get some time this year to make some good progress.

Which is why I recommend to release an open beta as soon as possible! Not only will it raise attention for the project, it will also very probably give you dozends of playtesters to find stuff you would never see yourself unless you were playing missions over and over again. Also I was just watching the video linked here and I was wondering what those ugly capital ships were. Are these standins for the blockade runner? Because I can't remember ever seing them and they don't look too good...

Carrack-class light cruiser.  Honestly, I was never a fan of the ship myself, but given the source material, I feel like we've done a decent job turning it into something passable.  It's appeared in many previous Star Wars games and EU books, but never made an appearance in the movies, which is probably why you don't recognize it.  Here's our page on it.  For reference, this is our Blockade Runner:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also we still have some work to do on the lighting settings and possibly texture adjustments to work with the new PBR code, as our assets haven't been adjusted for it yet.  Hopefully they'll look decent without it with the new GGX lighting model and some settings tweaks, but none of that was in the video you watched.  The ships themselves though, yeah, the Carrack isn't the prettiest design.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Also we still have some work to do on the lighting settings and possibly texture adjustments to work with the new PBR code, as our assets haven't been adjusted for it yet.  Hopefully they'll look decent without it with the new GGX lighting model and some settings tweaks, but none of that was in the video you watched.  The ships themselves though, yeah, the Carrack isn't the prettiest design.

While the Carrack was first mentioned in an EU novel, there wasn't much of a physical description that went along with it.  The first actual depiction of the ship was in TIE Fighter, and was limited by the rudimentary 3d graphics capabilities of 1994 PC hardware.  I'm quite sure that's the reason for its bland, uninspired design.

One of the things we've really tried to do with FotG is re-imagine many of the EU/Legacy ships to better fit the look and feel of the ships seen in the original trilogy.  Some of our best examples are the Z-95 and E-Wing:
and XQ2 space station:
which looked like this in its first appearance in TIE Fighter:

So if you or anyone else see something that looks bad to you and would like to take a stab at re-imagining an EU ship like the Carrack, we're always open for community submissions.

How long is making the assets PBR-ready going to take? Can you give any estimates yet?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As I said, we haven't had a chance to do much testing since the GGX lighting changes and some other fixes went in, as I just updated our internal builds that we use this morning.  So we won't know if the assets even need updating until we start using the new builds and try some experiments with the lighting settings to see if we can get it to look like we want.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The vastly most likely option is that we don't use the PBR capabilities as such, but simply keep using the old-style assets and, if necessary, tweak the lighting values accordingly to produce the kind of look we want. We're not going for a strictly photorealistic aesthetic anyway, so the old-style assets are still perfectly good, we might only need to make sure the shaders treat them right.

Offline Tnadz

I wish I had chops enough to even help grind through some of that coding stuff.  I feel bad not being able to help more on a project that's got so much love.  Keep on, gents.

Offline wookieejedi

I wish I had chops enough to even help grind through some of that coding stuff.  I feel bad not being able to help more on a project that's got so much love.  Keep on, gents.

Thanks we appreciate the positive encouragement!