Author Topic: Questions about Source Code Project  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Questions about Source Code Project
Oops! Forgot the link itself... :p

Here ya go: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,359.0.html

FS2.8 would be fine - I just wanted to avoid possible confusion. :)

And now that that's over, allow me to say that I can't wait to hear what Su has up his sleeves... ;7 I know it'll be awesome, dude! :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Actually, sandwich, you might be able to find out my story sooner rather than later...IF you're willing to earn it. :)

At present I'm looking for FREDders/mission designers. (I'm going to need ship and weapon modders later on, but I have specific people in mind to ask, although if they are not available, I'll ask other people to volunteer.) I've made rough outlines of several missions in my campaign, but I'm not nearly as good with FRED as I would like. If you are proficient with FRED, then maybe you can create these missions for me; as payment, you would get a first look behind the scenes of my campaign story. You'd get to see why Lone is so excited about this campaign. :nod:

I daresay this is an equitable arrangement. :D

sandwich, you interested?
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Su-tehp
Actually, sandwich, you might be able to find out my story sooner rather than later...IF you're willing to earn it. :)

At present I'm looking for FREDders/mission designers. (I'm going to need ship and weapon modders later on, but I have specific people in mind to ask, although if they are not available, I'll ask other people to volunteer.) I've made rough outlines of several missions in my campaign, but I'm not nearly as good with FRED as I would like. If you are proficient with FRED, then maybe you can create these missions for me; as payment, you would get a first look behind the scenes of my campaign story. You'd get to see why Lone is so excited about this campaign. :nod:

I daresay this is an equitable arrangement. :D

sandwich, you interested?

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't. :wink:

Honestly, I can't afford the time it would take - sorry. I'll just have to wait with bated breath along with everyone else around here. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Fair enough. You're busy; I can appreciate that. :)

When I've got enough of a script ready, I'll make an announcement on the HLP, General Freespace and Freespace mModding boards for volunteers who want to work on my campaign. But that won't be for a while yet.

I wanna see what Lone has up his sleeve for that mpeg he promised me. If he can post that mpeg here on the HLP boards at the same time as my announcement, it might get people more fired up to volunteer to work with us. :nod:

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
MPEG's take quite a bit of time, especially when everything is from scratch. Ill work my hardest at it, but cannot give a timeframe. Although it will be done as quickly as possible, i cant give a date or even some kind of guess. God only know the problems i will run into.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Lonestar
MPEG's take quite a bit of time...

Tell me that you're simply referring to a movie, not specifically the MPEG format, right? Cause DivX would be so much smaller... :nod:

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Im talking creating the movie. MPEG is the smallest and highest quality format to work with when creating movies.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Im talking creating the movie. MPEG is the smallest and highest quality format to work with when creating movies.

Ahh, and then DivXing it for upload, I assume? Gotcha. :yes:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Lone, take as much time as you need, dude. I know this will take a long time, but you should have everything you need from me to create the movie. I'll wait as long as you need to complete the movie.

I know you'll impress me. :) :nod:

The Order of the Stick

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Originally posted by Sandwich

Ahh, and then DivXing it for upload, I assume? Gotcha. :yes:

Someone loves DIVx hehe.

When its finished ill convert it to a few formats and give options to everyone. This way DIVx lovers and regular users have a choice. I mean who releases MPEGs of games anymore in only one format? Get with the times i say.

Most release it in AVI because there's no way to steal from it, MPEG is easy to gather clips from. I personally dont care if mine gets pieces stolen from it, Ill be honored they were good enough hehehe.

Anyways, im beginning the graphics work on this tomorrow (since ill be starting a new module in college, wont have as much work at school). Ill get with you Su-Tehp on my 3d creations and get your opinion on them as they will be the basis of the movie. I want them to be as acurate as possible........ill take this to email when ready.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Most release it in AVI because there's no way to steal from it...

Eh? Enlighten me. :nod:

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Download an AVI and try to copy it.

Then try and open it in a movie editor and see if you can do anything with it. AVI is almost like flash, their are ways to break through the embedding to do what you wish with it, but the average user cannot copy an AVI file.

MPEGS however are a peice of cake.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Download an AVI and try to copy it.

Then try and open it in a movie editor and see if you can do anything with it. AVI is almost like flash, their are ways to break through the embedding to do what you wish with it, but the average user cannot copy an AVI file.

MPEGS however are a peice of cake.

:doubt: Ever hear of VirtualDub?? :rolleyes:

Ok, on second thought, you're right - the average user won't be able to work/alter/whatever an AVI - but then again, an average user wouldn't even think of trying to! :D

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
True, but you can find those that will try. As i said it doesnt matter to me, it would be flattering. Never heard of that Dub you mentioned.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Never heard of that Dub you mentioned.

I use it for converting those ~450Mb MPEG Enterprise episodes into ~220Mb DivX AVIs so I can fit 3 per disc. :D

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I /you can edit AVI's with animation shop , which comes with PSP.... although I mostly work with the uncompressed stuff I do with MAX.

Offline Inquisitor

You can also edit them with Quicktime Pro, 30 bucks from apple ;)

Anywho, this is starting to sound less and less like a source code conevrsation, should I split the thread and toss it somewhere?
No signature.