Author Topic: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I  (Read 203989 times)

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Re: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I
I see; I'm past the mission now, and I'm sorry if my message was grumpy. Now i'm running into technical issues.

It's all good.  Feedback helps.

I don't know why, but my nebulas are totally broken. As others have mentioned, they're dazzlingly bright and I can't see ships until I'm literally on top of them.

This should not happen.  Please post this either on Mantis or on GitHub so that the SCP can take a look.  I'm not a graphics coder so I don't know what's wrong.

We did find that it works properly in 3.7.4.  Also, using the following command-line, it works on recent 3.8 builds for me:
Code: [Select]
-mod "scroll,mediavps_2014" -nospec -nomotiondebris -nonormal -noheight -nolightshafts -no_deferred

Goober, do you want me to try and handle this?

Yes, please.

Also, everyone should specify whether they downloaded the mod from the thread, from the FSO Installer, or from Knossos; and also when they last updated their files.

So, coming back several months later, I have attempted your fixes and am still encountering blinding light on the mission "Masks". This is what I see.

Update: Fixed it by disabling post-processing! Was trying various settings and narrowed it down to that.

Edit: Yet another game-breaking impasse.

Spoiler:
In Irkalla Passes, I have three times now failed after jumping out because the Khitteb will not jump out. It sits at the node, and so the Himnoltep and Halifax won't jump out either. I set the time compression to 32 and waited for a minute, and the Khitteb still just sat there. When I jump out, I get a victory debriefing but fail the mission and have to retry. I am just going to suicide skip it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:07:53 pm by azile0 »
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline SL1

Okay, I give up. In Arachnophobia, how exactly am I supposed to
Spoiler:
signal Delta wing?

Offline CKid

Spoiler:
When Delta wing jumps in, Hit the Shivan AWACS with a TAG missile
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline SL1

That's a bit counterintuitive, considering that
Spoiler:
the whole point of the AWACS is that it supposedly makes TAGs useless
, but thanks.

Offline Redox

Stuck on Through the Looking Glass. I scan the ships I need to then get a message that something's occurring and I fail the mission. What am I missing here?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Stuck on Through the Looking Glass. I scan the ships I need to then get a message that something's occurring and I fail the mission. What am I missing here?

Sorry for the delayed response; I missed the last few posts on this thread.

Spoiler:
Make sure you record all the ship types.  You might be missing the gas miners.

I'll release an updated version of Scroll Part I in the next few days that will have some tweaks, adjustments, and improvements.

That's a bit counterintuitive, considering that
Spoiler:
the whole point of the AWACS is that it supposedly makes TAGs useless
, but thanks.

Spoiler:
The AWACS makes the stealth useless, not the TAGs.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:42:43 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Have come across a bug in "Arachnicide". Before your capital ships can engage the installation, all shivan caps defending must be destroyed. I did that, however in the objective window, it reads one target still alive. All friendly ships just sit in place, beams silent.

I figured this out, with help from your subsequent posts and some testing.  Since the Tvashtri was destroyed in g1_06, it never appeared in g1_07.  Since it never appeared in the second mission, it was never "destroyed".  The mission was waiting for all six ships to be destroyed and this never occurred.

A fix will be included in the next update.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:bump:

The latest update, version 1.3.0 in both Knossos and the FSO Installer, has been released!  It contains the following changes:

• All missing voice files should now be present, with no annoying static interference
  • Added Nyctaeus's HTL'd GVCv Udjat and updated textures for the GTSC Schroedinger
  • Several enhancements to Through the Looking Glass...
    • Add sentry guns to the proximity monitor
    • Make the "ship recorded" notification persistent (so it reappears above your target view if you target the same ship again)
    • Added an extra ( allow-weapon "Maxim" ) SEXP so you can still get the Maxim even if you skip the mission
  • Lengthened the time of the EMP effects in Arachnophobia and made other difficulty adjustments
  • Fixed a couple bugs with ship carryover in Arachnicide
  • Fixed weapon hardpoints on the PTF Kulas
  • A few miscellaneous tweaks

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:bump:

Version 1.4.0 has been released in both Knossos and the FSO Installer.  It contains the following changes:

• Added additional clues to Through the Looking Glass
  • Added checkpoints to Lucifer's Cloak and make it harder for the Shivans to detect you (since you are in a stellar dust cloud)
  • Added an additional checkpoint to Arachnaphobia
  • Rebalanced Perfect Vision
  • Changed "ship recorded" notification to yellow
  • Explained about conserving support ships in the ISF loop
  • Ensured that the Draug can be destroyed in all situations in Accidents Will Happen
  • Added a way to signal Delta wing by brute force in Arachnaphobia
  • Allowed the GVF Tauret to carry the Maxim
  • Adjusted MGreen muzzle glow based on feedback from Woolie Wool
  • Added mask files and fix coordinates for the Scroll medal box
  • Miscellaneous tweaks and fixes

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Allowed the GVF Tauret to carry the Maxim

Wut?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah the Tauret can't carry it by default.  This was requested more than once, and there were no internal discussions against it, so I figured I would add it.  We could say the fighter was upgraded sometime in the past 11 years.

hey im continue tormorrow that screen thing
i apolyies for not early done becouse other throuble

Too late, there's a new sheriff in town now who's taking care of the entire scenery related stuff. :p ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Woutersmits is talking about screenshots.

We always appreciate new screenshots of the campaign. :)

Woutersmits is talking about screenshots.

We always appreciate new screenshots of the campaign. :)

Yep I know. :cool:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Has the team approached Trash Man about making a custom variant of his recently-released Blade Battlecruiser for the team?  The Blade is, of course based on the Orc cruiser from the original Inferno R1, of which SA uses a modified version with a fighterbay in the side and slightly different multi-part turrets.  Have you guys asked him about it, or do you still plan on including the Orc beyond Part 1?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Orc will be featured in Part II (possibly with a different name).  I haven't compared the existing version with TrashMan's new version yet.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The most noticeable change is that the middle of the ship features only one multi-part turret on the dorsal and one on the ventral, whereas the Orc has two on both top and bottom.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I get a script-error during Arachnophobia (sa_g1_06), when the first strike wing is said to arrive:

Code: [Select]
Could not find index 'HomingSubsys' in type 'weapon'

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:
Name: hc_fire
Name of: global
Function type: Lua
Defined on: 59
Upvalues: 7

Source: helios-sct.tbm - On Gameplay Start
Short source: [string "helios-sct.tbm - On Gameplay Start"]
Current line: 190
- Function line: 132

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "helios-sct.tbm - On Gameplay Start"]:195: in function 'hc_fire'
[string "String: hc_fire('Alpha Strike', 2)"]:1: in main chunk

1: Userdata [weapon]
2: String [HomingSubsys]
3: Userdata [subsystem]

https://fsnebula.org/log/5d2b1263cb0d332f85b982ff

I really liked the narrative and the mission design in the GTVA branch so far, but I am a bit disappointed with the new weapons and playable ships, to be honest. They are just ... bland, the Reshef in particular (the design just screams directional thrusters to me).

A few things I'd advise:
- The debriefing for Through the Looking Glas could use another stage to convey the failstate that comes from not having "scanned" enough approriate targets. I would say the mission could use more detailed directives as well.
- Shark Bait appears to have a very thin margin on error on Medium, esspecially with regards to
Spoiler:
the SC Achar (if its LRed is not taken out by a lucky beam hit, it can get off up 3 shots before the Trebs hit).
- In many of eariler missions, when support ship are not readily avalible, losing your weapons, sensors and/or communications can cause some stupid quasi-failstates. A simple nested is-ship-call and ship-subsys-guardian could really go a long way.
- Generally, I'd recommend to use "Intercept {wing}" instead of "Destroy {wing}" for directives related to bombers as an additional point of information, I have been doing since at least 2015 and it always tested very well in closed beta.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I get a script-error during Arachnophobia (sa_g1_06), when the first strike wing is said to arrive:

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

I really liked the narrative and the mission design in the GTVA branch so far, but I am a bit disappointed with the new weapons and playable ships, to be honest. They are just ... bland, the Reshef in particular (the design just screams directional thrusters to me).

Yeah the story is one of this mod's strengths, and that's thanks to Sesquipedalian.  The modpack for Act I was 90% finalized in 2002, though, which is when most mods were happy just to have non-retail ships to play with (and all the more so for Vasudan ships).  Think of the Reshef as the Vasudan Erinyes.

A few things I'd advise:
- The debriefing for Through the Looking Glas could use another stage to convey the failstate that comes from not having "scanned" enough approriate targets. I would say the mission could use more detailed directives as well.

The player is supposed to be performing reconnaissance, which intrinsically involves exploration and discovery.  I have already added several nudges based on feedback, but I'm not going to spell out "go here and scan this".

- Shark Bait appears to have a very thin margin on error on Medium, esspecially with regards to
Spoiler:
the SC Achar (if its LRed is not taken out by a lucky beam hit, it can get off up 3 shots before the Trebs hit).

It is meant to be extremely difficult.
Spoiler:
From the mission outline: "This mission is a risky gamble on the GTVA's part, and the final results should leave some Shivans ships still active in the system.  It ought to be a very Pyrrhic victory for the GTVA, including the loss of the destroyer itself.  We've reduced the Shivan threat in the system for the moment, but at a very heavy cost.  This mission will include the Ravana destroyer, multiple smaller vessels, and a nice assortment of enemy wings.  The Ravana should be destroyed in this mission along with the Hatshepsut.  Some Shivan vessels escape, including corvettes able to launch fighters for later missions."  If the player does manage to save the Arnku despite the odds, he is awarded a medal, but he is not expected to.

- In many of eariler missions, when support ship are not readily avalible, losing your weapons, sensors and/or communications can cause some stupid quasi-failstates. A simple nested is-ship-call and ship-subsys-guardian could really go a long way.

Other people have asked for this too.  I suppose I could add it.

- Generally, I'd recommend to use "Intercept {wing}" instead of "Destroy {wing}" for directives related to bombers as an additional point of information, I have been doing since at least 2015 and it always tested very well in closed beta.

That's a good idea.  I'll add that too.