Author Topic: random campaigngenerator  (Read 8619 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: random campaigngenerator
If you are going to undertake this task I would highly suggest (from personal experience) using lua, especially if you want new missions to be affected by previous missions.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Yes. But how? Create a new program using Lua? Or in-game?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline wookieejedi

Yes. But how? Create a new program using Lua? Or in-game?

What worked for me was making a set of LUA scripts that are called using the mission file. So a combination of FRED and custom LUA scripting. For example, one of my scripts tracks the persistent fleet in the dynamically generated missions. One of my SEXPs in the mission becomes true if the ships are survive, and the result is that the SEXP calls a LUA script that saves the ship name, type, and health to a text file so it can be read in the next dynamically generated mission. That is one of my many scripts (40+) and sexps (100+), but it shows the a simplified example, that when tied with other sexps and scripts allows for dynamically generated missions that carry persistent fleet and campaign data.

So does that mean you can theoraticly generate "survivor fleet vs Shivans" campaigns at random?

Also, do you have all these scripts available public somewhere? I could imagine there are many people here who'd like to take a look at them.

Offline wookieejedi

So does that mean you can theoraticly generate "survivor fleet vs Shivans" campaigns at random?

Yeah, exactly. One of my goals is to have a "survive and fleet-build" campaign. As part of my my setup the first mission of the dynamic campaign is a 'choice mission', where the player selects the number of missions in the campaign, the player rank in the squadron, starting fleet sizes, etc. Using a simple counting index, the number and class of both enemy and friendly ships are dynamically selected for each mission depending on mission type, difficulty, and amount of player wingmen available for the mission, which is affected by the previous mission outcome (ie persistent fleet data, other persistent variables). The briefing then gets updated with that info, as do other factors like wing rank, ship arrival, and persistent wingmen traits. It's overall similar to instant action game-play, but with enough dynamic briefings/debriefs and persistent progress between missions to tie missions together.   

Also, do you have all these scripts available public somewhere? I could imagine there are many people here who'd like to take a look at them.

Not yet, as this is still very much ongoing project for the past year. I appreciate the interest, though! I was originally making it more for myself, but it's grown a bit from there  :lol: Hopefully someday it will be complete enough that I feel comfortable releasing it!

Wow, that sounds really cool  :) :yes:
At first I thought something like this must be impossible, but I'd be happy to see if you can proof me that I was wrong. :D

you going to help us with campgen

Offline wookieejedi

Wow, that sounds really cool  :) :yes:
At first I thought something like this must be impossible, but I'd be happy to see if you can proof me that I was wrong. :D

Thanks! At first I kinda figured, well I will start with a feature and see if I can get it to work. Then after a good amount of trial and error I would figure out a solution, then move on to the next feature. After many steps of that process I thought, 'well this might actually work.' Of course the story aspect is virtually absent, but my goal wasn't a story campaign, it's a set of re playable 'instant-action like' missions that are connected with persistent progress.

you going to help us with campgen

I am open to providing some additional, concise advice or suggestion based on my experience, but my ongoing projects and RL don't permit me to spend more time then that, unfortunately. 

nightmaire you wana help us

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I can help. What of Total Conversions?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

To clarify this- wookieejedi basicly made a somewhat working campaign-generator, the thing that Bryan See and woutersmits just started planning, right?

Idea behind most TCs is, to my understanding, to port a universe to FS engine, so that other fans with ideas can come and turn their own ideas into campaigns. I know it's a bit different from what we see here at HLP, where the base mod includes a custom campaign.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:04:15 am by Nightmare »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thanks! At first I kinda figured, well I will start with a feature and see if I can get it to work. Then after a good amount of trial and error I would figure out a solution, then move on to the next feature. After many steps of that process I thought, 'well this might actually work.' Of course the story aspect is virtually absent, but my goal wasn't a story campaign, it's a set of re playable 'instant-action like' missions that are connected with persistent progress.

This is pretty much the best outcome you can hope for for a procedurally generated campaign.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wookieejedi

This is pretty much the best outcome you can hope for for a procedurally generated campaign.

Very true. Plus, I like the problem solving aspect of it all, so it's really just a fun pet project for me without any major grand plans.

Idea behind most TCs is, to my understanding, to port a universe to FS engine, so that other fans with ideas can come and turn their own ideas into campaigns. I know it's a bit different from what we see here at HLP, where the base mod includes a custom campaign.

The HLP community is just too awesome  :lol: Seriously though, it's difficult to find a more friendly, open, and dedicated modding community then HLP.

The HLP community is just too awesome  :lol: Seriously though, it's difficult to find a more friendly, open, and dedicated modding community then HLP.
That's true. :nod:

So even a random campaign generator might be fun for sometime, it can't replace the awesome content made here.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
While I love the idea of making this sort of campaign generator, I should point out that the idea isn't actually that new.

Although getting it to release rather than dying in beta is another matter.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wookieejedi

That's true. :nod:

So even a random campaign generator might be fun for sometime, it can't replace the awesome content made here.

Indeed, the content here puts many AAA games to shame.

While I love the idea of making this sort of campaign generator, I should point out that the idea isn't actually that new.

Although getting it to release rather than dying in beta is another matter.

That's very true. Also true with many large projects, sadly. For me, it's fun working on it at least, so if it ever is complete cool, if not that's okay with me, too  :P *reminds self to stop having that attitude about my doctorate dissertation*

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Speaking on use of random campaign generator on TCs (such as the one I'm working on as HLP's second original project after Wings of Dawn), the HLP community is willing to contribute on this. Right now, I am the only one working on.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template