Author Topic: Well that escalated quickly...  (Read 53387 times)

Re: Well that escalated quickly...
You say it's not wrong to claim this as terrorism against women, and yet, when someone makes that claim, it's wrong?

He said it's not even wrong.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Aaargh, stupid english, why you fail me now.

Yes, I read that wrong, and I apologize for that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Take one of her recent retweets, about the #fappening, claiming that this scandal was about "nothing less than terrorism against women". Do you enjoy this kind of obviously ridiculous rethoric? It's not even wrong to make these claims, and yet we are innundated by this ****ty stuff. Did anyone get angry when previously some men's nude photos or sex tapes or whatever were released and shared by the same media that is now being so moralistic about this?. No. Why not? Because it's not a big ****ing deal, as it wasn't a big ****ing deal whenever prominent men had hate mail or death threats.

Strangely enough, there is seemingly no market whatsoever for pics of celebrity cock. I cannot remember any time in which a leaked nude picture of a male celebrity was newsworthy (except in cases where female celebrities were also present in the picture).

They do exist (see Hulk Hogan's case, where the same media even refused to take down its material when asked for). But it's obviously skewed.

Well could it be that female bodies are a lot more interesting than men's? We've been throught this. Why would a bigger interest in one genders' body be construed as hatred of that gender is something that really goes beyond reason and no wonder most people just eyeroll at these claims.

Is it okay to publish these things? No. Is it okay to classify it as mysoginy? No. Just as it's blatantly wrong and self-serving to whine how anti-semitic one is when someone criticizes the Israel government. But don't you see the hidden intentions here? ****, jesus.

You say it's not wrong to claim this as terrorism against women, and yet, when someone makes that claim, it's wrong?

No, I said "it's not even wrong". It's a reference to something Pauli once said about a scientific argument (in a way as saying it's worse than being wrong).

So, from the top: We have an article that explores the how and why of the reaction feminism gets on the internet. One point addressed is that of radicalization of small, tightly knit groups. The article cites a study that cited a person on the behaviour of al-Qaeda, with the citation being so general as to apply to any radicalized group. Then the writer of the article suggests that a similar process of radicalization happens in the anti-feminist crowd.

Man, it's incredible. So in order to establish that these groups work really well together and form tighty knit groups, one goes out to bring the Al Quaeda example, but that's fine because it's a high level abstracted analogy, I mean, in NO WAY it is designed to paint these people (who the writer called "TERRORISTS" in the headline itself) as being in a moral level equivalent to Al Quaeda. I mean that would be just the nasty rethorical trick in the book, pretty sure all these brilliant well intentioned people would never stoop so low.

That, as far as I am concerned, is not a questionable writing decision. There's a difference between saying "These mechanisms are the same ones we saw in al-Qaeda" and "These people are literally al-Qaeda", and it applies here.

Well!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Strangely enough, there is seemingly no market whatsoever for pics of celebrity cock. I cannot remember any time in which a leaked nude picture of a male celebrity was newsworthy (except in cases where female celebrities were also present in the picture).

Hulk Hogan, Bam Mahgra, Gene Simmons, Colin Farrell, Mini-Me from Austin Powers (his name escapes me at the moment). And that's just off the top of my head!

There is obviously a big market for celebrities having sex. Male or female.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:18:07 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

Just look at this Gawker page highlighting what they wrote about Hogan's sex tape. Read the material. If you find any shame on the fact they were trespassing Hogan's privacy I advise you to go to the optometrist right away. http://gawker.com/tag/hulk-hogan-sex-tape

One fast passage: "Update: The video posted here has been removed pending litigation. See here for details. If you'd like to watch it elsewhere, you may do so here" (sharing a link). It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad to compare it with the way people are being treated right now because they dared peek to one or two pictures of half naked women (I didn't because I really don't care, but still).

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well I don't know if Gawker in particular is the best site for a comparison since I don't think they've been particularly harsh about looking at the women's photos either. But I would agree that I've never seen a site react to the invasion of a male celebrities privacy in the same way.

What you really need to find is a site that complains about the women's pics but doesn't complain about male sex tapes.

You can think her videos are badly done, her theories lacking and her data unsubstantiated, but I don't believe that "she didn't dilute her opinion enough" is a good criticism, even if fighting only the most solid battles can seem effective in the short term.

I think that pin pointing the exact problem in Sarkeesian has been hard, at least for me, since I've been hedging and swinging in some different directions. It's in my nature to listen and research about everything involved from very different viewpoints, and some times the result is messier than if I just sticked with first impressions and just be a sheep to someone with a sharp clear message about this whole thing. I think it's worth the trouble though.
For all I know what you say could be 100% true, and is mostly a potentially valid criticism of her methods. And criticism of her methods by other (women) feminists in gaming would be a great thing, for that community.
On the other hand I know very little about what she posts on her social media or about her in general. I was commenting solely on the content of her last two videos and what I think could or couldn't be wrong with them, and on a particular point of criticism I don't believe to be effective in the long run.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well could it be that female bodies are a lot more interesting than men's? We've been throught this. Why would a bigger interest in one genders' body be construed as hatred of that gender is something that really goes beyond reason and no wonder most people just eyeroll at these claims.
It sounds like you don't understand the concept of sexual objectification. Here, have a wikipedia article on the subject.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

It sounds like you don't understand the concept of sexual objectification. Here, have a wikipedia article on the subject.

And it sounds like you went on sniping right on a quote where you thought you could slam me something in my head without any regard whatsoever to the context around what I was saying.

I *know* what objectification is, what feminists say about the dychotomy between subject and object, its relation to its corollary arousal, and so on and so on and so on. It is not irrelevant to what I was saying but it is entirely perpendicular. So congrats there, mate.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
And it sounds like you went on sniping right on a quote where you thought you could slam me something in my head without any regard whatsoever to the context around what I was saying.
It sounds like you're attributing emotional motivation where there is none. I have no interest in "slamming" anything; I was just providing you with information.

I *know* what objectification is, what feminists say about the dychotomy between subject and object, its relation to its corollary arousal, and so on and so on and so on. It is not irrelevant to what I was saying but it is entirely perpendicular.
If you think it's "entirely perpendicular" to what you were saying, I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment that you actually know what sexual objectification is.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

Well I don't know if Gawker in particular is the best site for a comparison since I don't think they've been particularly harsh about looking at the women's photos either. But I would agree that I've never seen a site react to the invasion of a male celebrities privacy in the same way.

What you really need to find is a site that complains about the women's pics but doesn't complain about male sex tapes.

Jezebel is a subset of Gawker. http://jezebel.com/behind-every-bullied-woman-is-a-man-yelling-about-free-1629502544

Offline Luis Dias

It sounds like you're attributing emotional motivation where there is none. I have no interest in "slamming" anything; I was just providing you with information.

I could say the exact same thing to you, therefore this comment and the last one was absolutely inane and unnecessary. Why the snark? Or are you gonna say something like "it looks like you saw snark where there was none!" back at me? Drop off that attitude with me, please. It's not helpful in any conversation, and it's definitely not going to play well with me.

If you think it's "entirely perpendicular" to what you were saying, I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment that you actually know what sexual objectification is.

sigh. Disagree at wiil... If you don't understand why it was perpendicular, then you didn't understand what I said when I compared the treatment of sexual objectification of women and men by the media, who did what, and in what particular case were people shocked and what they were not.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I could say the exact same thing to you, therefore this comment and the last one was absolutely inane and unnecessary. Why the snark? Or are you gonna say something like "it looks like you saw snark where there was none!" back at me? Drop off that attitude with me, please. It's not helpful in any conversation, and it's definitely not going to play well with me.
I genuinely was not attempting to be snarky; the "attitude" to which you refer does not exist. The purpose of the comments is that you are stating factually incorrect things as though they were self-evident.

sigh. Disagree at wiil... If you don't understand why it was perpendicular, then you didn't understand what I said when I compared the treatment of sexual objectification of women and men by the media, who did what, and in what particular case were people shocked and what they were not.
...And you still are.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Luis Dias

Slight variation on the same bull**** double standards:

This is Maddox's video, right? Because Maddox is kind of a total arsehole, and I wouldn't trust his opinions as far as I can throw him.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

Doesn't make him wrong here though. It's been quite a while since I've seen anything by him for that same reason.

Do watch the video, it's spot on, informative, and entertaining.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
This is Maddox's video, right? Because Maddox is kind of a total arsehole, and I wouldn't trust his opinions as far as I can throw him.

Being an asshole shouldn't make what you say any less viable
On that note though, one shouldn't trust anyone's opinions regardless of who they are

Though generally an asshole has no problems tip toeing around what needs to be said either, which is why I generally like them more

But in the end, you'd be judging the person and not what the person has to say.

Rather amusing video to watch at any rate
"No"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Jezebel is a subset of Gawker. http://jezebel.com/behind-every-bullied-woman-is-a-man-yelling-about-free-1629502544

Oh I know that, but don't they have basically different editorial staff or something?

That said. I love this ****ing double standard.

http://jezebel.com/behind-every-bullied-woman-is-a-man-yelling-about-free-1629502544 - Men justify the leak of women's pictures based on freedom of speech.
http://gawker.com/a-judge-told-us-to-take-down-our-hulk-hogan-sex-tape-po-481328088 - We justify our continued posting a transcript of the Hulk Hogan tape (after taking down the video which was filmed without his consent) based on freedom of speech.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:21:53 pm by karajorma »

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I've always found it amusing how people seem to think Freedom of Speech applies in these situations. It only does where the Government is involved, not people telling you you can't do this as it violates the Right to Privacy

Right to Privacy on the other hand, restrains both the Government and *private party actions* and is subject to legal action
"No"