Author Topic: Tales from the tabletop  (Read 4809 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Tales from the tabletop
So, I realize that P&P RPGs and board games and card games aren't usually discussed here, but surely there's some tales of epic deeds and hilarious fumbles that we know and like to tell, so I made this topic.

And to start it off, here's something that happened just yesterday during one of our Pathfinder sessions.

For those who do not know, Pathfinder is a rebalanced and streamlined version of Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. My group is currently doing the Carrion Crown adventure path, which is basically a compilation of various classic horror stories. It starts off with a haunted house story, continues on to a Frankenstein story, then enters Werewolf territory, crosses past Lovecraft country, and our current stop is deep in a London-expy filled with Vampires.
While in Lovecraft country, my previous character bit the dust, courtesy of a divinely enhanced giant crab cthulhu thing. I chose to forego ressurection, and instead made a new char based on MTG's Archangel of Thune. I started off with an Aasimar Paladin, and went deep into the Aasimar racial feat tree, granting me Wings, and (important to this tale) a second use of the Daylight spell-like ability Aasimars get, with the option of casting Sunbeam instead.

So, during our investigation, we find that we'll have to talk to the head of the Vamp society, which has unfortunately gone into seclusion in their retreat. While we have a good chance of actually talking to the head vampire, the guardian of said retreat has strict orders to murder anyone trying to enter.

There we were then. We knew that we would be facing a high-level vampire druid, and so we prepared as best as possible. Stumbling around looking for her, we first came across her plant companion, a really big carnivorous plant thing, and so we started plinking away at it. Soon afterwards, my character was swallowed whole, and thus reduced to cutting away at the thing from the inside, while being chewed on.

While that's going on, the druid is out and about in animal form, blasting us with various nasty AOE spells or the nastyness called Ball Lightning. A couple rounds of flailing about and lost hitpoints later, our fighter finally deals the killing blow to the plant, freeing me in the process.

On my turn, the following happens. First, I use Smite Evil on the Vampire, guaranteeing me a +22 bonus on my next successful attack. Given that I went for the Greatsword style of Paladin, my options of inflicting damage at range were limited to, you probably guessed it, my Sunbeam spell-like ability. So I use that.
Sunbeam is a very nice spell. While I can only get one beam out of it (the full version, which Druids get when unlocking 7th-level spells can spawn several beams), that beam is a 30ft line attack dealing 4D6 points of damage and causing blindness (a successful reflex save halves the damage and avoids the blindness). I did recall that Sunbeam dealt extra damage to undead, so I dug into my references to look it up. Meanwhile, our GM rolled his save, fumbling it in the process. Already this was cause for much gleefullness, as blindness is not to be underestimated, and full damage is always nice.
So I read the spell description. The first thing my eyes see is this:

An undead creature caught within the beam takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6), or half damage if a Reflex save is successful.

While gathering 8D6 with a smile on my face, thinking about the massive 8D6 + 22 points of damage I was going to dish out, my brain reminded me that the spell description wasn't over yet. It continues as follows:
In addition, the beam results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fails its save.

And that was how I singlehandedly killed a fully buffed Vampire Druid of 12th Level.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

Re: Tales from the tabletop
I started working my way through this a while back:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/table-top-gaming/things-no-dm-wants-to-hear/t.19600261_1/

I'm 43/302 pages in. There's hilarity to be found in there.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm kinda more looking for things that happened to people personally, not stuff regurgitated from elseweb.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

I'm kinda more looking for things that happened to people personally, not stuff regurgitated from elseweb.
I see. Can't help you there then I'm afraid. But hopefully you'll generate some interesting stories.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Well once my French are complete I can start contributing.  Rulesets will  be General de Brigade and black Powder:

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

he's so scottish
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
We've had some pretty hilarious moments playing Settlers of Catan, particularly when my wife and I have played with my parents and my brother.  I still don't think my brother has forgiven me for pre-emptively slicing his unbeatable longest road that was 1 road from completion in two with a settlement.  Mwuahahaha.  Best passive-aggressive boardgame ever.  Also, hearing a player trying to make a trade say "Anyone have wood for sheep?" never gets old.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Also, hearing a player trying to make a trade say "Anyone have wood for sheep?" never gets old.
I do that. It's hilarious.
Also: "I have one brick for two anything else." Other players hate that, so I do it every turn.

Offline crizza

Played a match of 40k, my Space Marines against Eldar.
My Ironclad Dreadnought managed to walk trough difficult terrain, destroyed a Falcon troop transport(or was it a Wave Serpent? Dunno honestly) The blast killed Jain Zar, thus leaving several Howling Banshes and a single Warlock in a mexican standoff.
The Warlock managed to disable the Chainfist, but was in turn killed by the Dreadnought.
My opponent then hurled his dices at the table and surrendered, 'cause there was nothing left wich could kill the Ironclad.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
One of the more amusing and interesting mishaps I've seen happen in a table top (not counting BattleTech here, because I play that on my laptop, and you guys get a full study of that when I post another part) involved a lone Ultramarine in WH40K with a power fist, and rough terrain.

Simply put, he failed his check, took one wound, and everyone around the table decided that he'd tripped and accidentally punched himself to death in the face, while a raging battle fought itself around him.

It took a few minutes for play to resume after the laughing stopped.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
My Bard has:
-- Had the audacity to, in a world filled with teenage heroes, be a thirty seven year old bald man
-- Used the name Demgoodol Trayne-Sacomin as an alias, but is really just called Dennis
-- Engaged in a full blown Monty Python style argument with a Fire Elemental
-- Ruined a creepy church scene (blood running down the walls, oppressive stench, etc) with the words "I look up"
-- Used a Dwarf in full plate as a lockpick
-- Insulted a goblin so badly it broke down into tears, despite not knowing the goblin language
-- Ruined a creepy voices-whispering-in-ear scene by elbowing the invisible vampire in the gut right as it started talking
-- Had the bright idea to use a Cleric to bless a trough of water then dunk said vampire into it
-- Been crit-success bluffed into thinking he had an instrument, and promptly played Bardic Music with air guitar and lots of humming
-- Been launched through a ceiling via point blank Magic Missile, as in, the wizard had her palm on his back when she fired it (the DM thought it would be funny)
-- Bored a paladin half to death through rambling about the Outer Planes, even though we were in Eberron
-- Seduced a bar wench in the first tavern he ever visited
-- Convinced a Cleric to seduce another bar wench through informing him that it was in the name of whatever god he happened to worship
-- Rolled Fortitude against STDs (directly relates to the above two)
-- Accepted a quest purely because the reward was beer
-- Accepted a quest purely because the reward was everlasting gratitude of an attractive woman
-- Bardic Music'd an encounter using the song Master of Puppets (it was a Necromancer we were fighting)
-- Used the "It's a harp" "Lyre" joke and caused a demon to take pause and possibly facepalm
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:37:09 am by Hobbie »
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Personal tales? I actually have some of those, nowadays, since I've started helping a friend playtest an RPG of his own creation.

About a month ago, our party was engaged in battle with a powerful spellcaster with a pair of dragons. We'd come to attack his island base by boat, but our boat got burned to a crisp and blasted into floating cinders before we even got close. The dragons had a high enough armor value that we had to roll critical hits to even have a chance of wounding them, and the damage system divides incoming damage by the target's toughness... and these dragons had a very high toughness. So it took several rounds to even wound one of them, at which point the spellcaster hopped from the dragon he was riding to the one we'd wounded, and healed it with medical knowledge... not even using up a spell charge.

Now, it was at this point that we realized that there was no way we could kill those dragons as long as the spellcaster was alive, but he was hovering just outside the range at which most of our characters could hit him (due to subsequent balance changes--I mentioned we were playtesting this game, right?--he actually would have been in range, but at the time, he wasn't), so we decided we needed a drastic tactical shift in order to take the fight to him. As it happened, we had one party member capable of flight; a Genie. We had most of the party go through a portable hole, then have the three characters with the greatest chance of being able to kill the spellcaster in the shortest amount of time ride the Genie up to meet him (upon which time, if need be, the other characters could jump out of the hole to support our efforts).

The exact manuevers were quite tricky (let's just say that the Genie managed to fly out of the portable hole and, in the process, pick up the guy holding the aforementioned hole), but we were finally in range of this powerful spellcaster that had steadfastly refused to come into range on his own. I immediately opened fire with my primary offensive spell, and actually managed to inflict two wounds (which dropped him halfway towards unconsciousness, given the way health works in this game). That wouldn't have done much by itself, though; the guy had a regeneration spell on himself, as I did, so one of those wounds would go away on his next turn anyway. The truly beautiful move came when the caster next to me used a simple, low-level spell called "soul command". It requires the target to make a will save on each of its turns; until it succeeds, it must obey the single command the caster gave when it cast the spell. Given the high will save bonuses of both the dragons and the spellcaster, it would basically require them to roll a critical failure (on a d10) for the command to be obeyed for even a single round, but sometimes, one round is all you need.

Her target? The dragon currently being ridden by this damnable spellcaster. The command? "Reach the bottom of the ocean below you as quickly as possible." The will save roll? A natural 1.

Everyone in the party watched in glee as the dragon suddenly folded its wings and slammed into the ocean, taking massive fall damage... enough, in fact, to knock its rider unconscious, and now he'd be taking drowning damage each turn as well. Due to that annoying regeneration spell (which wouldn't unbind itself until he actually died), he'd actually wake up soon as well, but now we had at least one turn where he couldn't actually move... and everyone in our party could reach him. The Genie flew straight back down, and everyone jumped off (or jumped out of the portable hole) to hunt the spellcaster down. He didn't even last two turns before dying, even after the dragon shook off the soul command and rose up out of the water... and then, without the spellcaster to heal them, we killed the dragons, too.

The mental image of that dragon's plummet remains the single most awesome scene in the entire campaign, so far.

On a somewhat more ridiculous note, another character in the same campaign chose to torture someone for information by reciting My Immortal. My character plugged his ears; others were less fortunate. No fewer than three characters were driven insane, and none of them were the intended target. Given the amount of time it took to clean up the mess, we asked him not to continue the interrogation in that fashion.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmmm - a few RPG stories that come to mind:

1) I missed a session, which resulted in my 2nd Ed D&D Cleric being abandoned by the party & left for dead 2000 years in the past.  (Come on guys, a *little bit* of party unity here perhaps?)

2) 1st Ed Shadowrun (where IIRC there was no limit on stun to physical overflow), in my 1st game before I knew the rules properly, my mage managed to stunball a room of civvies plus the targets to death.  Oops. (hey, it was *supposed* to be non-lethal)

3) There was a swashbuckling D&D campaign where three valiant heroes fought their way to the top of the castle to rescue the princess. I was the only guy left, the others had made suicidal stands to hold off the masses of guards trying to stop us.  I burst into the tower, see some guy who seemed to be strangling the princess (*cough* apparently it was just a massage *cough*).  Avast foul knave & my rapier goes straight into his back... and watched the DM's face crumble as he said "But he was the only good guy left on your side".  Oops.  (I guess that kinda ruined your campaign arc  :nervous:)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Oh...would love to play Pathfinder again.

My tabletop and PnP experience is sadly, very ,very limited. Practicly no one plays here.
So I was looking at the Spoony Experiment forums and managed to get into a PnP Skype session. I got really into it, got the RPG program, moduls, pre-rolled several characters...and we only played a few sessions before the group desintegrated.

I was (naturally) a paladin, but to the surprise of the party thief (who always tried his best to piss me off) and the GM, my paladin was a very sensible and clam type and I could reason my way out of acting like a typical "12-foot-pole-in-the-arse" paladin.
I also delibarately failed a few spot checks so I wouldn't notice the thief stealing.

Now I want to play mhoar....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I really wish I had more experience than I think a game of Starship Troopers when I was about 14, and a kind of sloppy e-mail strategy game where all the battles were done by the "game runner" and only results were posted.

I've been meaning to learn how to play Traveller and run some games, but haven't been able to find a lot of motivation - or really a good idea of how to even start.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Thansk for hte link E.

I'm havign some good laughs. This one kills me:

Male Rogue: "I decide to examine the huge chest, poking at it to see if there are any traps upon it, moving it and caressing it happily, thinking of the treasure within."
Sorceress: "Get your hands off me, rogue!"
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Rather than use the Thunderhawk I gave them properly to outrange and strafe a Great Unclean One, my Deathwatch group kamikazed it.

I hosted an Apocalypse game of 40k in my backyard. Tabletop Mount proved mostly useless except to restrict flyer movements, in contrary to expectations. Chaos brought a triplet Warhound and IG allies, but the Tau Manta smashed it and the Fire Warriors murdered what was left. That left the Necrons, entrenched along the rear hill, and they'd be the devil's own work to get off. Save for the fact the Space Marines Thunderhawk-dropped along the retaining wall and with a Land Raider leading the way to soak fire took the hill from the top while the Tau took it from the bottom.

More in the future somehwere.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
The only one I can think of right now is when one of the players in the first D&D campaign I played knocked himself out with his own mace in the middle of a fight. We were in the middle of an enemy base and, whilst we finished the fight without him, it took an extra (in-game) day before he woke up and we could move on.

And of course, the time where my paladin blinded himself for two turns with holy light from his own sword. The wonders of natural 1s.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
In an AD&D I once played a friend of mine had managed to get hold of some +3 javelins of recall. Not having much use for them he passed them over to our party's fighter along with details of the command word which recalled the javalins. After the person playing the fighter had missed a couple of sessions, the DM got bored of playing him and decided to get rid of him Aragorn-style off the side of a cliff, thereby ensuring that he could return if the player ever came back.

[DM] : The orc rushes [Fighter character] and bangs into him. [rolls dice] Both of them tumble off the side of the cliff.
[Friend] : [Says javelin command word]
[DM] : [looks surprised for a second] The Javelins fly out of [Fighter]'s backpack and return to your hand.
[Friend] : I though I should save the most important thing from that fall.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Veers

Been ages since I played anything, but it was some yet-to-be-released Star Wars version. My mate has the rule book to 'proofread', and they only gave him 1/2 of it anyway.

Just starting off, really simple. Hide in a bar, get past 4 stupid weak guards. I moved second, rolled a perfect 20 and killed all 4 of them with a stun grenade.

:wtf:
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3