Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 323664 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
yay its dusty
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline watsisname

FSF.... 

You are AWESOME.  :D :yes:

Seriously, I think that is a great improvement.  Those dust lanes certainly don't appear easy to do, but IMO you pulled them off very well.  Same with the color enhancement.  In fact it's now starting to remind me a lot of various astro-pics of the Andromeda Galaxy.  Excellent work. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Looks good, why don't you try making the outer discs a little bit more glowy, or adding brighter stars to them, just a few to break the theme a little bit.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Hrm, I think I've pinpointed what irks me most.
The stars need more variation. Right now they look like...noise, all the same size, same brightness...
Needs to be a bit more variance/contrast!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

These oughta look summat more interesting, star-wise...

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
It looks more awesome, and I want it :D
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It looks better, I would personally add some more very shiny stars all scattered on the disc.
el hombre vicio...

Yay! More planets! I'm still not happy with how the clouds are coming out but I think I've figured out a solution.

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
looks good, also try adding color grading on the waters to reflect deepness, specially on a planet like this with a lot of it's surface covered in seas.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
The coastlines seem too sharp, but that could just be me.  Also, whad did you use to texture the land and the clouds, thay are very good.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Is this 2D or 3D?

Regardless of the technique I would try the following things, but execution might vary depending on the technique.

1) reduce cloud altitude
 * looks like you are using a cloud sphere above ground sphere, and a dark version of the clouds as the shadow the same size as the ground. If you make the cloud layer closer to the size of

2) reduce cloud shadow darkness
 * it's quite dark, almost black right now. I suggest using the dark cloud layer in Multiply mode if it is in 2D, and reducing its opacity

3) break up the uniformity of the "high clouds".
 *currently, the clouds that are casting shadows seem quite uniform white, and have very sharp edges. This is sort of hard to address, but I would suggest careful application of blur and smudge brushes, or something. The problem with these uniform white blobs is that they look more like glaciers floating in air, than clouds.

3) make water a darker blue and reduce sun glare gradient size on water
* water is a rather dark blue colour except where sunlight is directly reflected, and the specular reflection size is quite small.

4) reduce thickness of the atmosphere around the planetary edge, but make it reach "in" over the planet a bit more.
* atmospheric effect is what makes earth-like planets blue. It tends to add a a slightly bluish tint to areas toward the "horizon" (the edge of the visible area).
* the atmospheric glow should reach up to like 100-150 km maybe. It is much thinner band around the planet than people usually start with.
* this is usually because people use ubiquitous Low Earth Orbit photography as the "model" of what they wish to achieve; at low altitude, the atmo glow is quite prevalent and thick, but as you move away further into space, it gets progressively thinner (and hard to balance in 2D art; 3D model is usually easier to do by virtue of having the scale of the atmosphere built-in (though it depends on the technique you make it with)

5. add variety to terrain colouration
* currently seems like mix of greens and drab brown/tan colours
* try adding some different greens for different types of vegetation. Northern forests are usually less saturated green than the lush rainforests on the equator.
* also different sort of deserts (Sahara for example looks like mixes of yellow and reddish or slightly orange sand)
* mountain ranges (greyish brown) with snow covered tops and green valleys

6. Reduce the bump mapping slightly
* in high orbit shots, everything except largest elevation variations (mountain ranges) typically look rather flat. It's easy to be overzealous with height mapping the planet.

7. increase resolution of base textures
* this is always a good idea IMHO - go as high as you comfortably can. What sort of textures are you using anyway? How are you making them?

Note that these are representative of what I think a planet should look like. Don't go out of your way to make the planet look like something you don't want it to look like. That said, the listed things are something you might want to experiment with to find what they do to the overall :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Good work on the colours and the land texture! The clouds, however, look too solid in many areas, the full-white areas don't do justice to the planet.

Those who like my galaxy (I'm satisfied with it, thanks for all your feedback!) - it's up on FSMods here. Enjoy!

*bump*

Hi.

My first planet

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
omg that is brilliant
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline watsisname

Nice!  You've got some skills there, mate!

Any chance you could post a full render of the planet?  I'm interested in seeing more. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Thanks!  Here's the full render, redone in 3dsMax:

Still not entirely happy with atmosphere, or water, and I'm probably gonna tone down the city lighting a bit  :p

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yeah, tone down city lights, remove the lights on the bright side of the planet... And than it will be just f***ing awesome *___*.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Maybe a little bit of blue or yellow color in the city lights? They look very... monochrome.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
What you'll probably want to do is to make a spherical texture of noise, and use the city light texture as a layer mask for that to create a sort of more detailed appearance of the sea of lights.

Current one is a bit jarring because of the large, solidly lit areas as well as overall brightness. Adjusting their colour and masking them on daylight side are also good suggestions. Sodium vapour lights are the most commonly used methods of lighting up outside areas, and they produce distinctly yellow light.

However you could probably do that with render layers and nodes; I'm assuming 3DS Max supports a feature similar to the render nodes in Blender (which is pretty awesome by the way).

Individual cloud formations look slightly large, maybe. Terrain texture is quite nice.

With water, you could try using very dark blue water, almost black but not quite. Something like #0a0a20 or even #08081a could be suitable water colour in the diffuse texture. The overall blueness then comes from atmospheric scattering.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

That's pretty damn good, for a start! Is it just me, or is the terminator very sharp? Especially near the poles, the atmosphere looks cut off.