Author Topic: Ep. 414 "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 6031 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Ep. 414 "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" Discussion (SPOILERS)
I just wanted to make sure you'd read my arguments -- I don't have a problem with you disagreeing.

Carry on.

Athena's a decent point, but he'd probably point out that she hasn't exactly been reliable: once gave all of Galactica's defense plans to the Cylons, and once killed a VIP for personal reasons.

Offline Rian

Well, I wouldn’t call that fabricating evidence, because he didn’t try to convince anyone of anything false. (At least beyond convincing Zarek that he had information that he didn’t.) It was a bluff, plain and simple, and it only worked because Zarek knows full well what he’s done. Adama didn’t try to take the accusation to court, and he would have had to back down or actually find something legitimate if Zarek had called him on it. Zarek didn’t even look at the papers, but that was a mistake on his part rather than some particular dishonesty on Adama’s.

Well, there's a fine line here between 'hating Cylons because they're Cylons' and 'hating Cylons because of the things they have done.' Or, even further, 'hating Cylons because of the things they have done, and then ascribing those things to their nature'. I'm not sure which category he falls into. If it's the latter, he's a racist, though he might call it justified.
I will concede this distinction, though I’m inclined to say that the “ascribing those things to their nature” part is still racist to some extent. And I don’t think either of these would be an unrealistic thing for Gaeta to feel in this context, I just find them difficult to sympathize with.

I can definitely see where Gaeta and Zarek are coming from. Gaeta I definitely don't feel is evil, but he is certainly consumed with hate, both at the Cylons and the leaders he sees as having failed the fleet. Zarek is more interesting, as while I'm sure he is partly motivated by patriotism towards Colonial ideals, I can't help but feel he's also driven by personal desire for power. They're both interesting characters, and they're going to make a dangerous combination.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I don't see where they're coming from in the point of view of 'the leaders have failed us'. They found earth, it's real, not fake. Just because it was nuked doesn't mean that they've been chasing lies all along.

Also, Athena never gave away Galactica's defense plans? What are you talking about?
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I don't see where they're coming from in the point of view of 'the leaders have failed us'. They found earth, it's real, not fake. Just because it was nuked doesn't mean that they've been chasing lies all along.

Also, Athena never gave away Galactica's defense plans? What are you talking about?

That's true, no one did know, earth is a pile of rubble.

In season 3, Athena learns from Boomer that Hera is still alive and on board the Basestar.
She kills herself ( or did Helo pulled the trigger? ), she Downloads into a new body.

We know that, all models from a series can access the memories ( a 8 can access the memory database from all other 8's after the DL, but not of an 6 ) seen in season 4 during the attack on the hub.

After that, the Cylons did know everything that she knew. Defense plans, what happened on Gal, the menu card of Gal's dining room, everything.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Yep, as Angelus said, it was when she suicided and downloaded. She knew how the process worked, and she knew her memories would be stored.

And I don't think the desperate people of the fleet are going to consider 'we didn't know Earth was wrecked' to be much more than an excuse.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
I've never liked Cali ( or was Calie?.. Cally?.. anyways.. ).. I told you that on the BtRL forum a year ago. Poor Tyrol!!
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Snagger

I think Zareck's motivations are based on decades of hatred towards the Colonial governement, any Colonial Governemnt, from his early days as a terrorist and turned all the more bitter through his imprisonment and later impotence on the Quorum.  As for Gaeta, I think he's turned blinded through self loathing and guilt for handing over the names of so many resistance members to 8 on New Caprica, sending them to their deaths, having previously believed he'd saved so many people.  He's so full of self hate from the realisation he was so easily decieved and that he has blood on his hands in the same manner as the blatar he came to so loathe, now realising that they share that common element in being duped into aiding the killing of their peers, that the hatred and distrust now spills over towards everyone else.

As for Adama and Roslin, yes they are tired, and shouldn't they be after leading so strongly for four years, holding together a fragmenting, desperate gaggle through so many disasters? They couldn't have known that they'd find earth intact, but they set off never expecting to find it at all, remember?  "It's not enough just to live.  You need something to live for.  Let it be Earth."  They didn't fail the fleet - they succeeded against immeasurable odds, but the sense of loss by the fleet's people would not initially be that objective - it'd take time to recover from the blow.  It's disappointing to see them weaken, especially the magnitude of Roslin's implosion, but given that she felt convinced she was being given divine guidance and found a burnt out cinder, then perhaps she would feel more than Adama that all was for nought.