Author Topic: Official Robotech Mod Thread  (Read 139494 times)

Official Robotech Mod Thread
I am thinking... everyone  is working alone on those models, it can't be possible to join forces to create a Macross/Robotech TC? Is anyone interested in such a project?

There is only you and Trashman.. and he is busy with several projects (including REF and Star Trek that I initiated) so beyond that no other modlers I am aware of are interested in macross or robotech. I mean besides the original mod team but they disbanded over a year ago with no thoughts of regrouping AFAIK...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Progress report:
So far:

That's 2700 polys (triangulated!...but I will delete any ecess edges anyway, so it should fall down to 2100 polys).
that's without the two carriers (approx 160 polys each..)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
don't do that, the lighting model likes lots of verts
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Just noticed that I screwed the "legs" a bit..have to fix that...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
2700 poly's seems a bit....much IMHO.  Hard to tell without wireframe, natch.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
2700 polys ain't much... I figure that the whole hull, once I'm done won't be more than 3000 polys.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by Star Dragon
There is only you and Trashman.. and he is busy with several projects (including REF and Star Trek that I initiated) so beyond that no other modlers I am aware of are interested in macross or robotech. I mean besides the original mod team but they disbanded over a year ago with no thoughts of regrouping AFAIK...

Max's dissapeared again, Nico/Venom doesn't want to work on another mod, I'm too busy, and Gortef rarely shows up :(

BUT, might I suggest doing a DYRL? mod instead of a Robotech one? The storyline and animation are much better all around, and you have a wider (usually more mature :D) community base.

Originally posted by Unknown Target
BUT, might I suggest doing a DYRL? mod instead of a Robotech one? The storyline and animation are much better all around, and you have a wider (usually more mature :D) community base.

I actually am working on a Dyrl mod, not a robotech one, it's almost done, models, music and all,  i only need to put some good missions togheter, but i'm not yet good with fred....

I also need to find some solution for the trasformations...

The WHOLE story needs to be told. That why I intend on going back and doing Southern Cross (Super Dimensional Calvary in Japan), when the ground mod stuff is established.. Hovertanks and all! Bring on the cyclones and ground troops!

Besides my project is two fold, first to expand the original mod and recreate as many of the missions as possible. (I kill Roy and everything, you even hear the moment he is mortally wounded!), then later do REF (Robotech II The Sentinels). Don't know if you've seen the movie but it was an aborted premier for teh new series. After they dumped the project Robert McKinney (I think) wrote the books, which I enjoyed, but the last one (End of the circle) really turned me off..

BUT it DID inspire me to do my own take on those events and do the Multi-Cross Universe thing.  Including my spectacular death scene MUhahaha (wait why am I laughing at killing my namesake?) :drevil:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

[email protected]

Sorry Star Dragon, but i think you are aiming a little too high, do you really think you can do a mod this huge, especially by yourself? I'm aiming in doing a much smaller mod, and still there is a huge amount of work to be done.

And beside, i don't think it will be ever possible to have ground troops and the like in FS2 engine....unless you are planning to do it in another engine of course.

And finally, but this is just my opinion, Southern cross sucks really bad, both in story and mecha design; Mosperada is a little better (cyclones are cool), but still pretty bad compared to Macross...

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Southern Cross (Super Dimensional Calvary in Japan),

Or anywhere else, SDC is the name of the original series, not the japanese name of that part of robotech.
But whatever.
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by TrashMan
2700 polys ain't much... I figure that the whole hull, once I'm done won't be more than 3000 polys.

I meant for the level of detail.....although symmetric models do tend to look less detailed.  

Like I said, it's hard to judge properly without seeing the wireframe (and even that's tough from a static render).....

You probably haven't heard about the GROUND MOD project... This would involve MECHA and planetary combat. This was started last year and I saw the initial screenshot... I have it somewhere but this was prelimmenary only. I also did some experiments like the interior of the SDF-1 (you have to destroy the enemy squadrons that got inside). I used pieces of the Death Star innards from X-wing Alliance... So much of what we need CAN be done. The biggest problem is GRAVITY, then again I remember some discussions about it but nothing specific. Don't know if progress has been made since last year (the main people have been involved in other projects) plus it's a job mainly for the coders and fredders, but the point was it was definately feasible...  

As for a big project let me ask you this. If you are the only one with a vision, would you sit by and wait for someome to do it for you even if you had to wait years or would you get off your butt and DO something no matter how small...

For example I am ready to mix the english and japanese song I collected for Basara and Getter's duet to test the new Anima Spiritia weapon system. The songs are offset by like a .2 second delay so twice in the song I have to manually resynchrinize them. This going out of phase will be a cool thing cause I can make NPC voices warn that they have to get back into synch.. This will mainly be a cutscene kind of thing but still will be cool cause when you play the same song from 2 sources it make a wierd harmony. The main difference is that one voice is in Japanese and the other in English , but the beat and back up singers are the same!!! The first time I did this just to see what would happen and I knew I just had to include this...  Oh NOT for RT2, but for the cross-universe thing... :cool:

[email protected]

You probably haven't heard about the GROUND MOD project... This would involve MECHA and planetary combat.

In fact i havent' heard of it, but let me say i don't think a project like this will ever be finished, even if we have the source code of FS2, changing the engine to a space sim to a mechwarrior type game is simply near to impossible.
Of course you can have a landscape under you and a skybox, i've done that too, and also i have the same idea as you of creating missions inside the macross (just like in the movie), or inside Zentraedj ships, it's pretty easily feasible, but from that to having tanks and infantry combat, well, dunno...... :blah:

As for a big project let me ask you this. If you are the only one with a vision, would you sit by and wait for someome to do it for you even if you had to wait years or would you get off your butt and DO something no matter how small...

I'm not saying about wating for others to do it, in fact i'm working hard too on my project, and i'm having big difficulties but also big results, i have a near finihed Macross game here, i'm talking about a TOO big project, and the fact that might need a team, not only a single person working on it. I mean, modelling, texturing, coding, making the interface, the sounds, the music, testing, making good mission and campaigns...... how many years will it take??

Anyway, as you too are working also on the Macross part of robotech, what do you thing about working togheter on that part? It will surely not hurt to excange models/textures/sounds or simple knowledge, right?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by ryuune75

I also need to find some solution for the trasformations...

Here, it's one of the last things we did (credit goes to r0nin).
It's coded so that it'll switch your ship to the ship right below it in the tables.
It's still a beta, but good luck. You can get it off r0nin's sitehere.

Originally posted by Unknown Target

Here, it's one of the last things we did (credit goes to r0nin).
It's coded so that it'll switch your ship to the ship right below it in the tables.
It's still a beta, but good luck. You can get it off r0nin's sitehere.

Damn! This is just what i need! Now if only i can get the SCP guys to put this in the official releases..... :nervous:

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
My ****** browser doesn't want to poen half of the Robotech pages!!!
Anyone have a side view of the SDF-1?

And ...take my advice...scale it to AT LEAST 6km....
The official numbers clash with the scenes from the series...Now I did some calculations and in several scenes SDF-1 appears about 900m long, but on most it appears longer than 4km...

Originally posted by TrashMan
And ...take my advice...scale it to AT LEAST 6km....
The official numbers clash with the scenes from the series...Now I did some calculations and in several scenes SDF-1 appears about 900m long, but on most it appears longer than 4km...

No way, i don't care if sometimes the animation sometimes showed some errors on proportions (Macross was a very low-budget anime after all), the Macross is 1200m long, and in most of the serie it was evident; it was much smaller than the average zentraedi battleships, you can clearly see that when it "punches" them with prometeus, and those were 2000m long.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Umm, didn't it use the Daedalus for that manuver.  I thought the Prometheus was the more conventional looking carrier
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.