Author Topic: OMG. MW:2.  (Read 20908 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Looks like Modern Warfare 3 will be addressing the over the top story and realism issues

Modern Warfare 3 Preview
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
AC-130 sucks. Chopper gunner doth pwn it, truly.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I actually preferred the AC-130 gunner.

Then again, More Dakka had a lot to do with that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Different strokes for different folks. But my AC-130s consistently get popped after five or six kills, whereas fifteen or twenty is a good run for the chopper gunner.

YMMV, of course.  But I must point out that the AC-130 just goes THUD THUD or PWAT PWAT PWAT or BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Only the chopper gunner goes DAKKADAKKADAKKA.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Oh, wait, this wasn't about missions in MW?

I thought you were talking about the chopper segment of "Shock and Awe" versus the AC-130 gunner section in "Death From Above."

Whoops.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ah, gotcha. In that comparison I agree, 'Death from Above' was more fun.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:40:19 am by General Battuta »

Offline Nuclear1

EDIT:  Whoopsie, forgot about the Gaming forum. :p

Alright, here we go:  

Spoiler:
What I liked:  

Plot had some pretty good moments.  The boat chase, the fist fight with Shepherd and Soap pulling the knife out of himself, the gulag, the oil platform, "no russian", and the first mission with Soap and Roach were all fantastic.  Actually, the whole Afghanistan sequence at the end was pretty cool.  It was awesome seeing Price and Nikolai again, and I love that it's open for a sequel.  

The various movie references were interesting too.  Like Dekker said, I definitely saw references to The Rock in the gulag mission, Goldeneye reference in the first mission with Roach, and the obvious Red Dawn reference in the first mission in Virginia.  

Some of the new weapons were pretty awesome, like the remote control for the Predator and the riot shield.

What I didn't like:

Despite Price, Nikolai, Soap, and a few, few others (I got rather attached to Corporal Dunn in particular), you don't really care about the characters as much as you did in MW1.  I actually got extremely upset at the end of the original when Zakhaev kills Gaz and Griggs, which I didn't really feel with Allen, Roach, Ghost, or any of the other 141 members that die along the way (in the festeva level or in the mission where Shepherd betrays you).  

I didn't really feel like I was losing anything at the end of the DC evacuation scene either...I mean yeah, I was about to be overwhelmed by Russians, but I didn't feel as upset about dying or any real emotional connection by that point to the other guys in the squad like I did in the nuclear sequence in the original.  Afterwards, though, I got a bit more attached to Foley and Dunn, and really hope to see them in the sequel.

I don't play for multi, so I can't accurately criticize it.

My take on the story:
Spoiler:
General Shepherd was behind everything in the story.

The Russians never did crack the ACS system.  He simply used that as a cover story when he disabled the system and allowed the Russians to invade the eastern seaboard, as a casus belli for invading Russia.  Since Makarov works apparently as a mercenary terrorist, my thought is that Shepherd hired him to conduct the massacre at the airport, then planted Allen in there and exposed him to Makarov so both of them could get off scot-free with the slaughter.  

The intel Roach and Ghost recover near the end probably had the evidence of Shepherd's cooperation with Makarov, which is why Shepherd killed the both of them there.  Also explains why Makarov knew where Shepherd was operating from.  

Motive:  I thought it was dead obvious at the end.  Shepherd was orchestrating a war with Russia via Makarov and the 75th (your unit in Virginia) in order to save his reputation and bring some personal closure to what he perceives as his failure after the nuclear attack in Baghdad in the original.  With the Secretary of Defense's "blank check" to run a war with terrorism and Russia, now he has the power to wipe out everyone responsible for the nuclear event--ultranationalists and terrorists alike.  141 thwarted that, though.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:53:23 am by Nuclear1 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Threads merged.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Looks like Modern Warfare 3 will be addressing the over the top story and realism issues

Modern Warfare 3 Preview
Now THIS, is combat!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Surprisingly accurate. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mxlm

So I just played through the first Modern Warfare. I liked Call of Duty/United Offensive more, mostly due to the ****ing endless ****ing respawns in ****ing MW. I couldn't have firefights, because everyone I killed would be replaced in under ten seconds, often more like five. Instead, I got to charge like a ****ing idiot right up to the enemy positions in order to disable their respawning, and then kill them. And then do it again, until the level ended. That...did not appeal to me. Like, at all.

So what am I missing? Why is this game so beloved?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Dunno, maybe it wasn't for you. I really liked the story and presentation.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Amen, it probably doesn't suit your playstyle. I find myself shouting orders at my TV when playing both games (Single Player). I really loved the US missions TBH, I really *felt* them, for lack of a better word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I hope you understand the allegorical message presented in them.  :p

Offline mxlm

Honestly, if there simply hadn't been infinitely--and rapidly--respawning enemies, I'd've enjoyed the game quite a bit (any mods that do that?). Seems like a small thing, but it pretty much killed my enjoyment. Well, okay, Death From Above, Ghillied Up, and the handful of missions where constant, unceasing advance was natural (cargo ship, for instance) were good fun. I liked the presentation to a point, but felt it was weaker than CoD1. In CoD1, with the exception of Panzershreks popping Tigers from the front, everything behaved as I'd expect it to (allowances for action FPS gameplay, of course). Oh, and everything to do with airplanes. Everything in CoD/UO involving airplanes or boats was stupid. In MW, less so. Notably, they seem to think helicopters are a lot more badass than they actually are. If a Chinook landed in the middle of scores of hostile soldiers, I kinda doubt it'd ever take off. A Blackhawk hovering at maybe 100 feet is just asking to die, especially when it starts parking in front of MG emplacements. And let's not discuss the 'tons of Blackhawks buzz over rooftops as dozens of RPGs fly all over the place!' sequence.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The fact price spent so long in Chernobyl and didn't get some form of radiation sickness preventing him from seeing mission 2 (cargo ship) amuses me no end.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The fact two MARKSMEN can hold off something equivalent to a BLOODY REGIMENT, and the fact that such a regiment can exist without anyone noticing (and doing something proactive about it, like a functioning government should), is cause for great laughter, IMO.  :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'd consider it a brigade or battallion, there were at least a hundred soldiers, and consider the air support and armoured column that nearly runs you over...
Lol factor ten engage........
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline mxlm

Well, right, the climactic battle was absurd, but the stuff leading up to it was fairly well done, again making allowances for action FPS stuff.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Notably, they seem to think helicopters are a lot more badass than they actually are. If a Chinook landed in the middle of scores of hostile soldiers, I kinda doubt it'd ever take off. A Blackhawk hovering at maybe 100 feet is just asking to die, especially when it starts parking in front of MG emplacements.

I love how you've never seen the footage of Hueys in Vietnam doing this just about everyday (well, minus the hovering in front of an MG nest part, which could happen with anything).

I'd consider it a brigade or battallion, there were at least a hundred soldiers, and consider the air support and armoured column that nearly runs you over...
Lol factor ten engage........

Bigger than a battalion at least, especially if you are playing on an easier difficulty.  I run out of ammo for my M21 more often than not before the bird gets there, and that's about 60 bad guys if I'm playing even half-way decently.  Claymores get another two dozen, you kill up to 15, I think, on the way in.  Another dozen or so right out of the building, call it a dozen from there to the zone if you have any idea who and what to shoot at, and the bad guys are down ~120 guys before I take out my automatic (lol, Willing Suspension of Disbelief for you, right there).