Author Topic: OMG. MW:2.  (Read 20916 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well keep in mind they lost <4000 Helos in 'Nam. But really, a reasonably skilled force should've given that Chinook something to think about before it took off again, not mentioning the ramp crew (I believe the procedure is to exit the ramp ASAP and move in an arc along both sides of the fuselage anyway), who would've been shot to pieces. But eh, it's COD, they're allowed to this kind of thing. :P

Offline mxlm

I love how you've never seen the footage of Hueys in Vietnam doing this just about everyday (well, minus the hovering in front of an MG nest part, which could happen with anything).

What Dilmah said. Also, I love how you're unaware that an Apache battalion was knocked out (well, rendered combat ineffective) by small arms and MG fire during the invasion of Iraq. I love how you've never seen Blackhawk Down. Mostly, I love you. Marry me?

Incidentally, what does the sentence in parentheses mean, exactly?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The sentence in parenthesis is what doesn't actually fit with helicopter use, and I don't really know what all that after the comma means. :shrug: (it made sense when I typed it)

I have seen Blackhawk Down, and I did know that Apaches could be rendered combat ineffective by small arms fire.  However, this is not Iraq, it's Unspecified-istan, and their military sucks big hairy donkey balls, by all measure.  The Blackhawk Down scenario occurred because a multi-division size force of Somali militia with heavy anti-vehicle capability engaged two (numbers check here) companies of Rangers and Delta Force that had no real supporting armor and only helicopters for effective infil- and exfiltration.  If anything, it is a wonderful example of why any kind of cavalry unit should never, EVER get bogged down by anything.  Then again, CoD 4 does not use helicopters in a cavalry capacity, but strictly as a deployment option.  Notice how you're only in the Chinook to get your whole squad and then some the hell out of there, not deploy just you chalk into combat.

You know, come to think of it, both times you land in that Chinook, all of your flanks are covered by three or four story buildings, except when you try to rescue the pilot, and in that case, the terrain "behind" you is open field with no hostiles.  The ramp crew and several marines take up covering fire positions along the fuselage.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The way helicopters are used in CoD4 is indeed pure fantasy. The situations we see there are far worse than Black Hawk Down in terms of anti-helicopter threat.

Now, um, did you actually play the game?

Then again, CoD 4 does not use helicopters in a cavalry capacity, but strictly as a deployment option.

The first bloody US level in the game you rappel out of a helicopter after watching an oodle of Black Hawks fly casually through a rain of RPGs!

As for the Chinooks, there's that time one came and set itself down right in front of a bloody merry-go-round.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Chinook? :wtf:

Semper Fi you silly gitz those are CH 46s
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The one in the Chernobyl level was?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
You know, come to think of it, both times you land in that Chinook, all of your flanks are covered by three or four story buildings, except when you try to rescue the pilot, and in that case, the terrain "behind" you is open field with no hostiles.  The ramp crew and several marines take up covering fire positions along the fuselage.
Actually, they take positions AROUND THE ****ING RAMP. I know these guys are poorly trained terrorists, BUT WHERE THE **** DO YOU THINK THE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE COMING OUT OF? In room clearing, I believe the doorway is known as the "Fatal Funnel", or something or rather, and the same applies to the ramp. Everyone is going to be looking there, and a soldier with half a brain is going to empty his clip into the ramp as it opens, so the objective is to clear the bloody thing rather than STAND NEXT TO IT. And at least when you take positions around the aircraft, you have a thin fuselage as the backstop, rather than the 2IC's chestplate. Really, a controlled pair could take out half the Ramp Crew, it definitely wouldn't survive combat. But as I've said before, this is COD, afterall. :P

EDIT:

Yep, I even checked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axdQddPo87M&feature=related
They really shouldn't be CH-46s though. What the frak is the US Marine Corps doing in Russia, extracting SAS operatives? What kind of ****storm would go down if they lost a member of the ramp crew, or the helicopter for that matter...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:05:55 am by Dilmah G »

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
MW2 happens early?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
MW2 happens early?
AFAIK, Britain, the SAS more specifically, never acquired CH-46s.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's probably a resource issue, why waste time modelling/texturing/converting a Westland Sea King HC4 or Puma HC1 when you already have a CH46 modeled and in game?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Remember kids. In CoD movie-ism >>>>>> realism
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Nuclear1

It's probably a resource issue, why waste time modelling/texturing/converting a Westland Sea King HC4 or Puma HC1 when you already have a CH46 modeled and in game?

Cinematic thing too.  You get rescued by Sea Knights in the Chernobyl mission, and then again in the very next mission.  The final shots in both levels are the marines hopping back on and you getting a good look at the area you just left.

The first bloody US level in the game you rappel out of a helicopter after watching an oodle of Black Hawks fly casually through a rain of RPGs!

Yeah, I noticed how insane that was too after a couple of playthroughs.  Like Ziame just said, Call of Duty depends on a lot of suspension of disbelief in order to do a lot of cinematic tributes to other war movies--that whole scene was half a reference to Black Hawk Down and half Apocalypse Now.

Shock and Awe was even more incredibly irritating like this--flying an entire battalion of helicopters into an enemy capital and depending on them to mop up enemy air defenses and all that.  I quickly forgave it though, because that level is now easily in my top five favorite gaming moments ever.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, I mean, COD is so cinematic, you don't notice these things until you've seen them twice or so, most of them time.

Offline mxlm

You don't  :P. Okay, and I didn't when it was CoD/UO, not CoD4. I think partly that was due to the fact that CoD4 was a rather frustrating experience for me, whereas CoD/UO was an 'omgwtfmoazplzkthx' experience. In my experience, I tend to not notice the various flaws of stuff I really like.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I love how you've never seen the footage of Hueys in Vietnam doing this just about everyday (well, minus the hovering in front of an MG nest part, which could happen with anything).

We've gotten somewhat smarter since then.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, and so have they. It's amazing what small arms fire does to helicopters when you try.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I wonder if Captain Price from Modern Warfare is a descendant of Captain Price from Call of Duty :D