Author Topic: Knossos maintenance project: 0.15.0 development builds available!  (Read 3467 times)

Knossos maintenance project: 0.15.0 development builds available!
After two years, the lost knowledge of how to build and package Knossos for distribution has been rediscovered. This allows us to finally deploy some small but significant fixes, and potentially more in the future.

Current build is here — 2022.08.29

I don't have a formal changelog but here are the notable changes I'm aware of:
  • Kiloku fixed some sort of issue with joystick setup. I don't know the details but it sounds annoying if you use joysticks.
  • ngld fixed the 'install from GoG installer' so it actually works against the latest GoG installer. This also means it doesn't work against older GoG installer files, though.
  • EatThePath made the 'FSO settings' window slightly bigger, so you don't have to scroll down to see the 'save' button
  • I changed the timer for reloading the master mod list from once an hour to once a day, because it was wasting a ton of everyone's time. Remember to use the manual reload button if you know there are updates you want to see.
  • EatThePath expanded the error messages on mod dependency resolution to be considerably more informative.

Source code for these changes can be found at https://github.com/PhantomHoover/old-knossos

I don't use Windows, how do I get these new builds?

Depends on what you're using instead:

"I use Arch, btw" — take the PKGBUILD from the AUR and apply the following patch (paste it into a file in the same directory called 'fix.patch' and run 'patch PKGBUILD fix.patch'):
Code: [Select]
diff --git a/PKGBUILD b/PKGBUILD
index 36f0a71..50c1890 100644
--- a/PKGBUILD
+++ b/PKGBUILD
@@ -15,16 +15,16 @@ depends=(
 makedepends=('python-setuptools' 'ninja' 'yarn')
 options=(!emptydirs)
 source=(
-    "https://github.com/ngld/old-knossos/archive/v${pkgver}.tar.gz"
+    "old-knossos::git+https://github.com/PhantomHoover/old-knossos"
     knossos
     knossos.desktop)

-md5sums=('9ad4ab7ba23dc59bb032795130c50eb7'
+md5sums=('SKIP'
          '541dfc75f3aecbe08b843eeec252e4b4'
          '2974a45a1f75051607d6d1402a8c429b')

package() {
-    cd "$srcdir/old-${_name}-$pkgver"
+    cd "$srcdir/old-knossos"

yarn install
     python configure.py

"I use Ubuntu, or some other Linux distribution" — you're kind of on your own here, I can walk you through how to run Knossos in 'dev mode' directly but packaging it all up with all of its dependencies is beyond my current means.

"I use MacOS" — you're on your own here. God have mercy on you. (It should be fairly straightforward but I just don't have Mac hardware to test on.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 05:11:57 am by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Knossos maintenance project: 0.15.0 development builds available!
Oh yay! Knossos is being maintained again!

I don't suppose this is the right place for feature requests?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Alas probably not. As a community we still don't have easy capabilities to change things in Knossos, and with ngld (the dev) tied up with RL the chance of any larger changes is relatively low.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
honestly, speaking as someone who is foolish enough to tinker, I think it's useful to know what people need out of it, and what their problems are, especially if they can be specific. There's a few headline things we'd like to fix or change, but a lot of it has gotten murky in the haze of people just learning to live with the problems.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Mostly I'd like a way to tag mods, and sort and search them. That would be the best way to handle a LOT of stuff, like which ones are voice acted and which are just modpacks.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

The tags would have to be stored server-side, and making and deploying changes to the Nebula server software is still a bit further down the line (although there are changes we'd definitely like to make).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

New update for ETP's dependency resolution error message changes.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
"I use Ubuntu, or some other Linux distribution" — you're kind of on your own here, I can walk you through how to run Knossos in 'dev mode' directly but packaging it all up with all of its dependencies is beyond my current means.

Here's a Bash script that should get Knossos working for you if you're on Ubuntu/Kubuntu 20.04

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# Set up and run Knossos
# You need: Python 3.8, pipenv, yarn, and ninja
# NOTE: Run this script in the directory where you cloned the Knossos
# repository to, or set the KNOSSOS_DIR environment variable.

# In case setting up Knossos fails for some reason, like unexpected network
# changes, etc.
function cleanupvenv() {
    venvfiles=(lib lib64 bin share include pyvenv.cfg)
    for fname in $venvfiles; do
        rm -rf $fname
    done
}

if [[ ! -f pyvenv.cfg ]]; then
# Create a virtual environment in the Knossos directory
python3 -m venv ${KNOSSOS_DIR:-.}

# Activate it
source ./bin/activate

# Install Python/Javascript dependencies
pipenv install || { cleanupvenv; exit 1; }
yarn install || { cleanupvenv; exit 1; }

# Set up
pipenv run python configure.py || { cleanupvenv; exit 1; }

# Leave virtual environment
deactivate
fi  # end if

# Enter virtual environment
source ./bin/activate

# Run Knossos
ninja run
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

I already posted on discord, but in case someone has an idea here.   

I've been having a time of it trying to get this to work on Fedora (currently v36 though I had the issue in v35 as well).  I also had this same exact issue when I worked around all the little python obsolecenses in 14.3.  So it can't be anything unique Phantom Hoover did.   I've also tried the build script above and same result.

For me the app build builds correctly, no real error to speak.  But then when it launches, I will get just a grey box with the header. No buttons except the top window controls.

If it helps here is the output of the buildscript above:

Courtesy Notice: Pipenv found itself running within a virtual environment, so it will automatically use that environment, instead of creating its own for any project. You can set PIPENV_IGNORE_VIRTUALENVS=1 to force pipenv to ignore that environment and create its own instead. You can set PIPENV_VERBOSITY=-1 to suppress this warning.
Installing dependencies from Pipfile.lock (f76dd3)...
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.python.org/simple00:00
Ignoring dmgbuild: markers 'sys_platform == "darwin"' don't match your environment
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.python.org/simple
Ignoring etaprogress: markers 'sys_platform == "win32"' don't match your environment
Ignoring pefile: markers 'sys_platform == "win32"' don't match your environment
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.python.org/simple:00:02
Ignoring pywin32: markers 'sys_platform == "win32"' don't match your environment
Ignoring pywin32-ctypes: markers 'sys_platform == "win32"' don't match your environment
  🐍   ▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉ 26/26 — 00:00:05
yarn install v1.22.17
[1/4] Resolving packages...
[2/4] Fetching packages...
[3/4] Linking dependencies...
[4/4] Building fresh packages...

warning Your current version of Yarn is out of date. The latest version is "1.22.19", while you're on "1.22.17".
Done in 1.99s.
Courtesy Notice: Pipenv found itself running within a virtual environment, so it will automatically use that environment, instead of creating its own for any project. You can set PIPENV_IGNORE_VIRTUALENVS=1 to force pipenv to ignore that environment and create its own instead. You can set PIPENV_VERBOSITY=-1 to suppress this warning.
Checking Python version... ok
Checking setuptools... ok
Checking PyQt5... ok
Checking semantic_version... ok
Checking six... ok
Checking requests... ok
Checking requests_toolbelt... ok
Checking ply... ok
Checking token_bucket... ok
Checking PyQt5.QtWebEngineWidgets... ok
Checking PyQt5.QtWebChannel... ok
Looking for pyuic... /home/joshuapettus/Downloads/old-knossos-0.15.0/bin/python -mPyQt5.uic.pyuic
Looking for pylupdate... /home/joshuapettus/Downloads/old-knossos-0.15.0/bin/python -mPyQt5.pylupdate_main
Looking for lupdate... /usr/bin/lupdate-qt5
Looking for rcc... /usr/bin/rcc-qt5
Looking for 7zip... /usr/bin/7z
Looking for nodejs... /usr/bin/node
Checking npm modules... ok
Checking for SDL2... libSDL2-2.0.so.0
Checking for OpenAL... libopenal.so.1
Reading version...
Writing knossos/data/resources.qrc...
Writing build.ninja...
Checking wheel... Not found!

Done! Use "ninja run" to start Knossos.
[6/8] WEBPACK html/dist/bundle.js
Hash: fa63b1a066c53fbc502a3dc486896483d941dc97
Version: webpack 4.46.0
Child
    Hash: fa63b1a066c53fbc502a
    Time: 7300ms
    Built at: 10/09/2022 9:17:42 AM
                                   Asset       Size  Chunks                    Chunk Names
    05992d3434d3589b38a3a5431842d38f.gif   3.81 KiB          [emitted]         
    19ee6b7e6642d75d6144b0c8209c93d6.svg  306 bytes          [emitted]         
    21dfa3149b274acb9c1819d342a6a169.svg  382 bytes          [emitted]         
    288308b2037f409d293916c7a3913f20.png   2.75 KiB          [emitted]         
    90901890fbf9b379405f47a23313e63b.png   2.16 KiB          [emitted]         
    9b737958b1644b46b23904e53afcac50.svg  274 bytes          [emitted]         
    a012413b54276e2eefd145c7aec60f93.png  606 bytes          [emitted]         
                               bundle.js    644 KiB       0  [emitted]  [big]  main
    Entrypoint main [big] = bundle.js
      [6] (webpack)/buildin/global.js 472 bytes {0} [built]
     [11] ./html/templates/kn-save-btn.vue + 4 modules 3.17 KiB {0} [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-save-btn.vue 589 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-save-btn.vue?vue&type=template&id=87a6888c&scoped=true& 258 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-save-btn.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 368 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-save-btn.vue?vue&type=template&id=87a6888c&scoped=true& 1.26 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-save-btn.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 728 bytes [built]
     [13] ./html/templates/kn-page.vue + 4 modules 91.2 KiB {0} [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-page.vue 458 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-page.vue?vue&type=template&id=1b762662& 242 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-page.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 360 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-page.vue?vue&type=template&id=1b762662& 77.7 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-page.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 12.5 KiB [built]
     [14] ./html/templates/kn-troubleshooting.vue + 4 modules 4.74 KiB {0} [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-troubleshooting.vue 491 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-troubleshooting.vue?vue&type=template&id=b9a25838& 253 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-troubleshooting.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 382 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-troubleshooting.vue?vue&type=template&id=b9a25838& 3.17 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-troubleshooting.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 478 bytes [built]
    [153] ./html/templates/kn-dev-staff.vue + 4 modules 9.03 KiB {0} [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dev-staff.vue 473 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dev-staff.vue?vue&type=template&id=28fc2a78& 247 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dev-staff.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 370 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-dev-staff.vue?vue&type=template&id=28fc2a78& 6.25 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-dev-staff.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 1.71 KiB [built]
    [155] ./html/js/preboot.js 132 bytes {0} [built]
    [161] ./html/templates sync ^\.\/.*\.vue$ 578 bytes {0} [built]
    [175] ./html/templates/kn-details-page.vue + 6 modules 23.2 KiB {0} [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-details-page.vue 482 bytes [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-details-page.vue?vue&type=template&id=6ab840f2& 250 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-details-page.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 376 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-details-page.vue?vue&type=template&id=6ab840f2& 10.7 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-details-page.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 4.22 KiB [built]
          | ./html/js/gallery_yt.js 5.37 KiB [built]
          | ./html/js/bbparser.js 1.81 KiB [built]
    [176] ./html/templates/kn-dev-mod.vue + 4 modules 2.27 KiB {0} [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dev-mod.vue 467 bytes [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dev-mod.vue?vue&type=template&id=0966f700& 245 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dev-mod.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 366 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-dev-mod.vue?vue&type=template&id=0966f700& 1.17 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-dev-mod.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 40 bytes [built]
    [177] ./html/templates/kn-devel-page.vue + 4 modules 154 KiB {0} [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-devel-page.vue 476 bytes [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-devel-page.vue?vue&type=template&id=1ef0b98c& 248 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-devel-page.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 372 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-devel-page.vue?vue&type=template&id=1ef0b98c& 133 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-devel-page.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 20.1 KiB [built]
    [178] ./html/templates/kn-drawer.vue + 4 modules 2.07 KiB {0} [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-drawer.vue 464 bytes [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-drawer.vue?vue&type=template&id=3ed94e24& 244 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-drawer.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 364 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-drawer.vue?vue&type=template&id=3ed94e24& 931 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-drawer.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 108 bytes [built]
    [179] ./html/templates/kn-dropdown.vue + 4 modules 3.02 KiB {0} [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dropdown.vue 470 bytes [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dropdown.vue?vue&type=template&id=d7ae0af2& 246 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-dropdown.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 368 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-dropdown.vue?vue&type=template&id=d7ae0af2& 1.12 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-dropdown.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 852 bytes [built]
    [180] ./html/templates/kn-fso-settings.vue + 4 modules 13.3 KiB {0} [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-fso-settings.vue 482 bytes [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-fso-settings.vue?vue&type=template&id=1c2b2e02& 250 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-fso-settings.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 376 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-fso-settings.vue?vue&type=template&id=1c2b2e02& 7.96 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-fso-settings.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 4.26 KiB [built]
    [181] ./html/templates/kn-fso-user-settings.vue + 4 modules 4.47 KiB {0} [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-fso-user-settings.vue 497 bytes [optional] [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-fso-user-settings.vue?vue&type=template&id=25724a76& 255 bytes [built]
          | ./html/templates/kn-fso-user-settings.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 386 bytes [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib/loaders/templateLoader.js??ref--6!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-fso-user-settings.vue?vue&type=template&id=25724a76& 1.79 KiB [built]
          | ./node_modules/buble-loader??ref--0!./node_modules/vue-loader/lib??vue-loader-options!./html/templates/kn-fso-user-settings.vue?vue&type=script&lang=js& 1.56 KiB [built]
    [188] ./html/js/main.js + 1 modules 8.57 KiB {0} [built]
          | ./html/js/main.js 8.46 KiB [built]
          | ./html/js/translations.js 100 bytes [built]
        + 174 hidden modules

WARNING in asset size limit: The following asset(s) exceed the recommended size limit (244 KiB).
    This can impact web performance.
    Assets:
      bundle.js (644 KiB)

WARNING in entrypoint size limit: The following entrypoint(s) combined asset size exceeds the recommended limit (244 KiB). This can impact web performance.
    Entrypoints:
      main (644 KiB)
          bundle.js

WARNING in webpack performance recommendations:
    You can limit the size of your bundles by using import() or require.ensure to lazy load some parts of your application.
    For more info visit https://webpack.js.org/guides/code-splitting/
Child
    Hash: 3dc486896483d941dc97
    Time: 4212ms
    Built at: 10/09/2022 9:17:39 AM
                                   Asset       Size  Chunks             Chunk Names
    05992d3434d3589b38a3a5431842d38f.gif   3.81 KiB          [emitted] 
    19ee6b7e6642d75d6144b0c8209c93d6.svg  306 bytes          [emitted] 
    21dfa3149b274acb9c1819d342a6a169.svg  382 bytes          [emitted] 
    288308b2037f409d293916c7a3913f20.png   2.75 KiB          [emitted] 
    90901890fbf9b379405f47a23313e63b.png   2.16 KiB          [emitted] 
    9b737958b1644b46b23904e53afcac50.svg  274 bytes          [emitted] 
    a012413b54276e2eefd145c7aec60f93.png  606 bytes          [emitted] 
                         debug_bundle.js    1.9 MiB    main  [emitted]  main
    Entrypoint main = debug_bundle.js
    [./html/js/main.js] 8.46 KiB {main} [built]
    [./html/js/preboot.js] 132 bytes {main} [built]
    [./html/js/translations.js] 100 bytes {main} [built]
    [./html/templates sync recursive ^\.\/.*\.vue$] ./html/templates sync ^\.\/.*\.vue$ 578 bytes {main} [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-details-page.vue] 1.12 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-dev-mod.vue] 1.1 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-dev-staff.vue] 1.11 KiB {main} [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-devel-page.vue] 1.11 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-drawer.vue] 1.09 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-dropdown.vue] 1.1 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-fso-settings.vue] 1.12 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-fso-user-settings.vue] 1.15 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-global-flags.vue] 1.12 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-mod-explore.vue] 1.12 KiB {main} [optional] [built]
    [./html/templates/kn-page.vue] 1.08 KiB {main} [built]
        + 246 hidden modules
[7/8] RUN
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.15.0 on PyQt5 and Python 3.10.7 (main, Sep  7 2022, 00:00:00) [GCC 12.2.1 20220819 (Red Hat 12.2.1-1)].
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 3.0.5 5 Jul 2022
INFO:MainThread:util.call: Running ['7z', '-h']
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: No desktop integration active.

A similar issue on a long-running arch system could be solved by removing bad mime type data, see here my comment on the AUR page for knossos:

The whitescreen bug mentioned by Bloodaxe, davvil and others can be fully fixed by deleting the files

~/.local/share/mime/packages/user-extension-(htm|html|shtml|xht|xhtml).xml

as well as

~/.local/share/mime/application/x-extension-(htm|html|shtml|xht|xhtml).xml

and then regenerating the mime database. No old packages need to be used after that.

Paths to the offending files may differ per distribution.

None of the mime type data those locations matched your description with (htm|html|shtml|xht|xhtml).  Just a bunch of wine extensions.  Never the less I tried removing them and redoing the database with

update-mime-database '~/.local/share/mime/'

No change. 

[EDIT]

nothing htm or html in /usr/local/share/mime or /usr/share/mime as well
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 11:03:47 am by Darklord42 »

If you don't like bash-scripts, here is how it worked here on Ubuntu 20.04

sudo apt-get install python3 build-essential libasyncns0:i386 libavahi-client-dev:i386 libc6:i386 libcaca0:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libflac8:i386 libgcc1:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libjansson4:i386 libjpeg-turbo8:i386 liblua5.1-0:i386 libncursesw5:i386 libogg0:i386 libopenal1:i386 libpulse0:i386 libpulse-dev:i386 libsdl1.2debian:i386 libsdl1.2-dev:i386 libslang2:i386 libsndfile1:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libtheora0:i386 libtinfo5:i386 libvorbis0a:i386 libvorbisenc2:i386 libvorbisfile3:i386 libwrap0:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxext6:i386 zlib1g:i386 python3-wheel python3-setuptools pyqt5-dev pyqt5-dev-tools qttools5-dev-tools qt5-default curl python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine python3-pyqt5.qtwebchannel python3-requests-toolbelt python3-ply git p7zip-full libopenal-dev ninja-build pipenv yarnpkg python3-semantic-version libsdl2-dev libgtk-3-dev liblzma-dev libzstd-dev zlib1g-dev
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linuxuprising/libpng12 && sudo apt update && sudo apt-get install libpng12-0
git clone https://github.com/PhantomHoover/old-knossos
cd old-knossos
pip3 install raven
pip3 install token-bucket
yarnpkg install
python3 configure.py
ninja run

Indeed I've had it running before on ubuntu mate cerca 20.04.  The issue is getting this to run on modern Fedora. 

Oh thank heaven....  After installing fedora 37, i tried building it again on a whim.  Now it works.  Lord knows why but I'll take it!

I did have to run export NODE_OPTIONS=--openssl-legacy-provider npm run watch  (The first time that is)
before running ninja run.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:32:58 pm by Darklord42 »

thank you all! After a hiatus away from the forums for like 15 years, and the game for 5 years, I found your guide how to install Knossos on my linux machine! Had to extract that node thingy, too.
And I managed to finish my first training mission. WTF this is a whole new game from what I remember even a few years ago! Thank you for the instructions!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
MEGA keeps giving errors. Any alternate downlaod locations?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ok, Re-installed Knossos 1.4.3 in a new folder, detects all my installs but can't start ANY campaign/module. Starting FSO flashes for a second, then ... Nothing happens.

Downloaded 1.5.0., installed in new folder, get dll erros on (api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll ) start? Fugg.. Yeah, on Win7

EDIT: Found the file on the internet, plopped it into the folder... Knossoss still doesnt' start. No errors this time. Just... nothing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:37:35 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
This build of Knossos doesn't seem to want to allow me to download AVX builds of RC releases.  0.14.3 did.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This build of Knossos doesn't seem to want to allow me to download AVX builds of RC releases.  0.14.3 did.

This isn't a big deal: AVX doesn't offer much of an improvement over SSE2 (it might actually be slower under certain circumstances).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns