Author Topic: Are the Shivans toying with the Terrans and Vasudans?  (Read 25530 times)

Offline Vip

Re: Are the Shivans toying with the Terrans and Vasudans?
Well, if given something rather manueverable, then yes, I could withstand dozens of Scorpions... The problem would be with fighting them :P Every second you stop wild, random manuevers, you get shot by several fighters and after few seconds you're vaporized...
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Hmm, will Meson bombs be able to penetrate Shivan shields? The Meson bomb is suppose to be the most powerful weapon ever developed by the GTVA.

Offline Vip

Hmm, will Meson bombs be able to penetrate Shivan shields? The Meson bomb is suppose to be the most powerful weapon ever developed by the GTVA.

Well, as said before, it's not the amount of damage that really counts, but the duration of fire. Of course, a supernova blast or something similar could easily annihilate the shield, but T/Vs don't and won't have any weapon like that for a long time. If the beam was actually just a single shot, it could not penetrate the shield. But as it last for several seconds, the energy is pumped without a break into the shield, collpasing it or something. Therefore for a short while, the beam can hit directly the hull.

I'm pretty sure the Meson bomb does more damage then most beams. Not to mention it does all that damage in less time as well meaning not only would it cripple the supposed regenerating shield but actually pierce it and continue to damage the hull.

Offline Vip

Still, it's a vaste of energy. The beams use all of their energy to hit the shields, because... well, they're beams. But meson bombs (or any bombs for that matter) generate shockwaves in every direction. Overall energy output is bigger than in beams, but the energy that hits the shield would be prolly only a percentage of that power. If the explosion was very close to Lucy, only about 60-70 % of the energy would hit the shield. If a beam hits the target, almost 100% of it's energy is pumped directly into the target.

I'm pretty sure a bomb that forces you to be at least 3km away would be more then enough to crack all the shields on the entire Lucifer down. Imagine that, a Lucifer with its shell blown out by a bomb.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
But the Lucifer is big, and should be able to regenerate its shields...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Vip

Oh well, maybe if it was close...

It's really hard to judge; we would need to compare the energies of both beams and meson bombs. Unfortunately, the :v: guys didn't give us those data :P

But surely, even a Lucy wouldn't survive being rammed by an Orion packed with mesons :D

Mesons bombs can collapse a friggin jump node. Besides, I'm talking about an actual successful deployment. Like a suicidal Ursa loaded with a Meson ramming into a Lucifer.

Offline Vip

I don't remember the cinematics really now... But the Bastion looked like it was really packed with those mesons. At least ten. Otherwise why use an expensive destroyer, if you could send a corvette, which is even faster ? Maybe it was more of "Overkill better than failure" methods, but still, I guess smaller explosions wouldn't collapse a node. Still, no proof.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Mesons bombs can collapse a friggin jump node. Besides, I'm talking about an actual successful deployment. Like a suicidal Ursa loaded with a Meson ramming into a Lucifer.

The jump node is destroyed from the inside. Three Meson bomb explosions in the immediate vicinity stabilized it(it may have been the destruction of the Knossos to stabilize the node, who knows).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Vip

The jump node is destroyed from the inside. Three Meson bomb explosions in the immediate vicinity stabilized it(it may have been the destruction of the Knossos to stabilize the node, who knows).

Or the node could be as well stabilized by the dozens of GTVA ships coming through it, or the Knossos finally did its job and stabilized the node permamently...

Offline Kie99

A Meson bomb is much, much bigger than an Ursa.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Vip

Give the meson a cockpit and some decent thrusters :P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Or the node could be as well stabilized by the dozens of GTVA ships coming through it, or the Knossos finally did its job and stabilized the node permamently...

Was it stabilized permanently? None of the nodes is permanent.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Vip

Was it stabilized permanently? None of the nodes is permanent.

Yes, yes... "permanently for the moment" sounds kinda contradicting :P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The nodes used by the GTVA are believed to remain stable for many years...that's what the Tech Intel says :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

You are correct in your first sentence.  However, those 3 Meson bombs simply destroyed the Knossos, nothing more.  The Knossos portal had already long done its job of stabilizing the jump node, and there was no effect on node stability by the bombs since they were detonated in normal space as opposed to blowing up in subspace.

Offline Kie99

Give the meson a cockpit and some decent thrusters :P

Do you want to pilot it :p
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
*Raises hand*I will! :D
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL