Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211228 times)

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
http://www.werewolves.org/~follies/
Apparently this behaviour is typical of him.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for Ferium......

Urgh. I feel so dirty.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thorn: Interesting......

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
very
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Now post it over at AV :D
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Grey Wolf

I tried to feel sorry for the guy. I really did. But he's the most insulting person I've read comments from outside of a political campaign.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline jdjtcagle

Tiara: done!
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]
First Post

Gents, some of the posts in this thread, are EXACTLY the reason why game developers AND publishers hardly pay attention to a game's fanbase.

So, go ahead, insult me all you want. Fat lot of good THAT is going to do. If anything, your posts will serve as indication to the industry in general, that well, those of you who want to turn this into a pissing content, are NOT worthy of anything tangible with regards to this franchise or anything associated with it. Look, they're not giving out library cards for bad behavior. So, if you can't behave at home, at the VERY least, have some self respect and behave yourself when in the company of others who are deserving of respect.

Now we're got that out of the way, lets see....

I'm not here to win any hearts, blow any minds, organize cookouts, take long walks in the park or pass around the walm milk. All I want to say it if anyone has played ANY of my games, not to mention the recently released Universal Combat, it should be clearly apparent that you're not dealing with some fly-by-night developer of a mod crew thats going to disappear overnight.

My games have been around for almost fifteen years, believe it or not and I have so far released five games - all of which made money - and I have an install base that clearly eclipses you lot. By a galaxy wide margin. My game - believe it or not - was one of those that made money for Interplay. They didn't lose money on it, not matter how much or how little it made. I got paid. They got their money's worth and I join the ranks for those who are saddened by their demise as I had some really good friends there.

So, lets cut the crap and get real here. Now. Would you rather NOT see another Freespace title in the retail channel, with high calibre values and from a team with a HISTORY and EXPERIENCE in making SPACE games? Or would you rather see it go to some larger company who is going to turn it into some unrecognizeable crap so they can leech off the Freespace name?

I'm ACTIVELY trying to get the license and given that I had a really good relationship with Inteplay (they published my second game),  it will all boil down to money and whether or not Interplay is willing to let it go.

If I get it, I'm going to develop this game. NO amount of crying, magic, spellcasting, running outside naked and yelling or coming to my house with +2 Armor of God and +6 whupass, is going to change that. So, the ones making these crazy posts (the attention must be nice - try dating) might as well go to sleep tonight knowing that as tenacious as my reputation is, if there is ANY chance of obtaining this license, I'm going to get it.

YOU insulting lot have VERY few choices and options. You are either going to be a part of the end result or you remain a part of the problem that will let this legacy and much regarded franchise die with Freespace2. Think about this. It makes NO difference to me. I CONSISTENTLY develop, publish and sell games. So, its not like I don't have a project (considering that I have no less than THREE in development right this minute) to fund and develop. I do this out of love for the Freespace franchise and out of respect for what I - as a gamer and a space sim developer - deem to be a legacy and one of the greatest space sims ever developed.

That is all. As you were.

I'd like to see a developer stop flapping his gums back at the community. I want a developer who will work with the community rather then shout out his accolades and demand respect.

Im offended by your statement, and even more offended you would talk to this community in such a way. Although some of this community is harsh, they have always spoke their mind and as a PROFESSIONAL its up to YOU to take it as critism and with a grain of salt, sir.

Now with that in mind, perhaps you will see between the harshness and realize this community LOVES the Freespace Franchise, so much so they would rather NOT see FS3 then see it developed by the likes of someone who will make it worse then it was, and most importantly one who wont work with the community in a professional manner and learn to just take his lumps and work together to ensure the Freespace Legacy remains alive and intact.

I also would like to point out that HLP is the biggest Freespace MOD community you will find, most professional as well. We have people here that have been modding freespace for a very very long time, and a very good base of developers doing source code additions and thought of bringing us FS3 on their own.

With that being said, FS3 would of lived on with or without you. So take your holier then thou attitude, sweep it under the rug and do whats right. Work with us, not only because you can make a few bucks, but because we can HELP YOU make freespace three the most kick ass Space Sim Game imaginable.

Ive personally worked with the Freespace Universe Timeline researchers, mission makers, mod makers, etc... and can say one thing for this "lot" as you called them: They are the most dedicated, creative and emotional people you will ever meet. What may be lacking in knowledge is more then made up for with enthusiasm and the desire to know more.

I dont wish to end this conversation in a bad light, atleast personally. I dont know you or your work, only what you have said initially, i still respect you and obviously you know what your doing. If you do take this title and decide to finally make it, think about coming here alot and getting a consensus on things people want. I can assure you we all know what gaming is all about, we all know what it takes to make a good game so when it gets to that time of designing this title keep our little forum in mind and try not to let the artists emotions get to you too much ;)

Offline Cabbie

We looks like the HLP people have some competition now. I hope you guys take it to them good (by making Freepsace 2.9 better then ever before :)  )

Offline Grey Wolf

You know, it's really too bad Bioware doesn't have the expertise for this. They have some of the best gaming company employees I've seen.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Well as long as he continues the freespace story and answer some unanswered questions that freespace 2 left us with then that would be great.  But in the same sense FS3 better have the same appeal that fs1 & fs2 had (gameplay,graphic,sound etc)
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Hell, get milo from Starshatter in on this. At least he knows what hye's talking about, and has an appreciation for making good, quality space sims. He may not be id or Valve, but I'de wager a guess that he would at least be interested in this development and the various code projects (SCP, Ferrium etc).

Offline jdjtcagle

Why do People keep saying this!?

Originally posted by Alexander B.:
[QB]
Originally posted by Dispose:
[qb] WHAT?!?!? ARGHHH!!!! MY MIND IS OVERLOADING WITH THE FACT THAT SOMEONE LIKES HIS BATTLECRUISER THINGAMABOB GAMES!! ARHHHHH!!! CALL AN AMBULANCE!!! [/qb]
What?

I did'nt say I liked them. Not that I disliked them either. I have'nt played the demo enough to give it any sort of "judgement". To be truthfull, I am not sure it would be a game for me, as I dont have that much time to invest in a game now. But it surely has a potential to be a great game to play (UC v2.x.x).

The rest is'nt a reply to the above poster.. but more of a reply to "the fans" that have recently appeared.

----

However, a lot of the bashing done seems to me to be from a bunch of immature s.o.bs who dont want anyone else 'on their territory' and least of all somebody they have "heard about from somebody else who read something on a web page who was probably true because they would have liked that... etc..." .  

You call yourself "fans" of the Series? Well, I've got news for you, I have freespace 1 and 2, so that makes me a fan as well, and I'm looking forward to a new Freespace 3, as long as it is'nt a CDV title it will hopefully be a good game, and if its not, i'll be bashing it just as everyone else - AFTER HAVING PLAYED It.

What you "fans" are doing is bash something that has'nt even become a reality - since Derek does'nt own the IP for it (yet).  

Some of 'you guys' from the "fan community" seem like a bunch of immature WHINERS. Yea, thats right, whine whine, and some cheese, and HAMSTER WOLF GREY RABBIT SAUSAGE!. You know what. If you were fans, you would have spent the time to write a official "letter" from your web page for the "freespace fans" wishing D.S good luck in his endavour, and offering to playtest, models, textures and whatnot, and anything else, instead of just saying "Oh, this sucks, I hate everything, *aaarrgh!*".

And if you DO have such a big problem with it - go tinker with the FS2 code. You've already done a lot of great work.

I cant believe how you are reacting.. whats wrong with you people?

And regarding the IP threat from Derek.  That you are now going to use to portray him as a b**tard. Well, I saw the first posting in this thread, and there were no writings about "going after 'fans' making something for the game for free". But after a bunch of the immature whiners came in here, combined with the mass-threads on the HEL (or whatever) forum I can at least understand why he would wish to do something like that. Just to shut you the **ll up.  

See, there is a difference between offering suggestions, perhaps writing about your concerns and hope he does it right, and Declaring FULL OUT WAR.  A war will have casualties on both sides, and as you are well aware, those with the IP and the money are usually the ones who win in the US.

So in summary:

1. Stay on topic
2. Stop the whine
3. Dont write ALL CAPS POSTINGS
4. Try to be sane while writing
5. If youre going to attack Derek, can you at least do it in a PRIVATE MESSAGE - or even better, just write it on a note on your desk and throw it in the toilet, since I believe it would achieve as much... anything as long as us others dont have to read your b.s. [/QB]
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline milo

• http://www.starshatter.com
Originally posted by Rictor
Hell, get milo from Starshatter in on this.

Wow, thanks for placing your trust in me.  I'm surprised and rather honored that you would even say something like that.

In reality though, I don't think I'm the right person to be creating FS3.  In my opinion, the core gameplay of the Freespace series is based on the way the story weaves through the tightly scripted missions.  I'm certainly not that good of a mission designer to create a game with a scripted campaign like the one in FS2.  While I'd jump at the chance to work with Mike Kulas and the rest of the Volition team if they did a sequel, I would never try to create one on my own.  I don't know where the story goes next anymore than you guys do.

My goal has been to create a game that sits alongside Freespace as a variation on a theme.  A game with great combat, but using a dynamic campaign engine and a persistent order of battle to explore space warfare in a different way.

Anyway, flame on!

Offline jdjtcagle

Kazan, I don't think you can reason with these people
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Dear God, please no.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
First person to put a flying Coke-machine in FSO gets my undying gratitude.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline jdjtcagle

:nervous:
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Originally posted by an0n
First person to put a flying Coke-machine in FSO gets my undying gratitude.

Actually...
*fires up Lightwave*

Offline jdjtcagle

Finally, I could not believe what I read of your forums! Apparently one of the religious members there has taken issue with the agnostics and now they are debating doing a mod for F2 based upon The Passion of the Christ. Ladies and gentlemen of the AVF, these guys need serious help.

What is this? :wtf:
Did/Am I missing something
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years