Author Topic: April 25th CVS + Loadout Changes Build  (Read 8483 times)

Offline neoterran

Re: April 25th CVS + Loadout Changes Build
I get an error about f_shockwave.pof or something, can't find model file
(I just installed the Delta media VPs from scratch (deleted old ones) before I tried this build)
It also complained about t_shockwave.pof as well

Copying shockwave.pof from mediavp and renaming to f_shockwave and t_shockwave and plopping in models dir of data directory got it to work

Enabling cheats caused a crash in New_Lamassu something (didnt get a chance to look at the extension)

You'll want to use the real f_shockwave (check out the shockwaves thread for a download) or you'll get huge explosions everytime a fighter dies... which will be annoying.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Okay, but the game still crashes demanding New_Lamassu.pof if I enable cheats. (WTF is a Lamassu?)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's the updated pof model for one of the missiles. I got the same error until I added the missing files from my Shrouding The Light folder where they happened to be lurking for some reason.

No idea why they aren't in the media VPs though. They really should be.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ]C[rusader

• Ouch.
Hello.  First off, thank you for FS_Open, it's a lovely piece of software.  [thumbs up]

Okay, so i'm posting this here since (according to Karajorma) the May 9th build is apparently not much different.  When using this April 25th build...

(in OpenGL, on Win98SE with DX8.1b, on a PIII 1.2GB with >400MB RAM and Radeon 9200)

...the game loads a mission smoothly, but then freezes during gameplay and will not resume.  It happens totally at random.  The OS doesn't crash with it.  The freeze happens both in fullscreen and windowed modes.  The debug spew ends with "TIMER ROLLED!" as the last entry. 

Oddly enough, a search on the forum uncovered an earlier thread from October of last year:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=7cdbf76508ecaed5f528274848979ab7&topic=35691.0

In the thread, MatthewPapa pointed out where the "TIMER ROLLED!" arises in the code of timer.cpp:

-----
QueryPerformanceCounter(&time_tmp);
   if ( time_tmp.QuadPart < Timer_last_value )   {
      // The clock has rolled!
      Timer_base = time_tmp.QuadPart;
      mprintf(( "TIMER ROLLED!\n" ));
      // Hack: I'm not accounting for the time before roll occured,
      // since I'm not sure at what value this timer is going to roll at.
   //   Time_now = time_tmp.QuadPart;
   }
   Time_now = time_tmp.QuadPart - Timer_base;
   Timer_last_value = time_tmp.QuadPart;

out->QuadPart = Time_now;

LEAVE_CRITICAL_SECTION( Timer_lock );
}
#endif // _WIN32
----

Then taylor responded to him with:

"I highly doubt this is related to video problems.  It's definitely an issue with the timer but I can't say why.  Possibly some other hardware issue but likely just something between Windows and the system...  Oh, you have a dual core CPU?  That would most likely be your issue.  It's having a fit with QueryPerformanceCounter so I guess we'll have to add that to the todo list, though I'm not sure what to do about it.  Off to MSDN I guess... For now I think it will work if you run the game(s) in compatibility mode.  If that doesn't help any report back and I'll put this at the top of my list of things to fix."

In my case though, i'm not using a dualprocessor system, so i doubt the "TIMER ROLLED!" error is arising from anything to do with that.  And taylor presumably fixed any issues long since then.  So, any ideas, anyone?  Thanks in advance.
Open foot, insert mouth.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline ]C[rusader

• Ouch.
@phreak:
Ah, thank you.  i neglected to mention that i was poking at Mantis earlier and was completely lost... the link to it on the forum just led me to the main page which i found undecipherable, and a search there didn't turn up any entries at all.   It doesn't help that i'm kind of slow, in technical matters, to begin with... =)

Edit: Er, the Mantis page errored out during signup...  ah, nevermind.  Brackets are not my friend.

Edit: Okay, so i've read the Mantis page now and i'm up to speed.  Thanks again, phreak.  It looks like taylor was last working on the bug in February.
Incidentally, i just spent a couple hours reverting to an earlier build from redmenace, the 2/20/06 build, yet i haven't had the crash with it.  Is that significant?  i'm not sure if i can or should add anything to Mantis  as far as comments or not, i don't want to cause clutter...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 09:37:13 am by ]C[rusader »
Open foot, insert mouth.