Author Topic: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Remix  (Read 19632 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Remix
Some more thoughts, Avatarr might worm his way under my skin, but
Spoiler:
because of that, it makes it all the more satisfying when the women put him in his place.

The best Saga has to offer definitely comes in the second half of the campaign, so you should keep playing.

Finally, if there's one thing you do, above all else, for me, that damn missile alarm must have it's volume TURNED DOWN. I absolutely hate it, it's so much louder than everything else. I can only imagine how disruptive it must be if you have to play near someone else who's watching a TV or something and that thing comes blasting out, but aside from that I simply hate it and it still makes me jump from time to time, and it was downright stressful playing with it there to begin with for quite a long while, it still is somewhat stressful.

If a little patch could be made for Saga to bring it into line with everything else, I would be very grateful indeed.

Offline CT27

So I'm not the only one who things Psychopath is more tolerable and professional than Avatar? ;)

He may be a psychopath (ha, ha) but at least he's focused on the mission.  Avatarr, not at all.
Spoiler:
And dear God, M.D. is the worst of them all.  He's like House, but without anything that makes House funny and likeable, like actual witty comments or the few glimpses of the human being buried under the apathy and outright misanthropy.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It looks like the Saga team had a few good ideas for characters, but once it came to writing them, epic fail ensued. :) I can see how all those people could've been written as likable, but they aren't.

making all your characters assholes does not imo constitute good character concepts
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Making them assholes resulted from bad writing. I can see what they wanted - a Casanova, a Doctor House expy, a slightly crazy guy... Only that they didn't pull it off right. This could have worked, if the writing was better.

Offline Luis Dias

My FS2 modding favorites are still the Derelict wingmen.

you have to love the pairing of Mackie and Gormless Kid
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

Have I remembered the personalities of the Derelict wingmen correctly (it's been a while since I've played):

Alpha 2 (Mackie)-sarcastic and cynical

Alpha 3-plucky eager new warrior

Alpha 4-no-nonsense veteran

alpha 4 was iirc a wildcard, there were a few people occupying the position (including Really Gormless Kid)

Offline CT27

Concerning Psychopath, I was kind of surprised (after seeing the epilogues of each character) that Psychopath didn't join the Black Lance and Tolwyn.

I wasn't.  I figured he was the kind of psychopath who'd tell guys like those to take their invitation and insert it sideways into the place the sun doesn't shine.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline CT27

But they would have offered him a chance at more killing right?

Could it be Psychopath had at least a glimmer of a moral compass? ;)

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
The Black Lance are pretty much universally acknowledges as deplorable sociopaths (they are pretty much the Waffen-SS in space) by WC fans. So having any kind of protagonist character helping them commit massacres is a no-no.

Don't forget that Venom (from the Jim Bowie and the leader of the Galahads) joined the Black Lance, although he decided to testify against Tolwyn in the end.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline CT27

I guess what I was asking was:  if someone from WCS was likely to join the Black Lance, wouldn't Psychopath have seemed likely to do that?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Probably so. Though he would either get disgusted and (try to) leave quickly, or testify against them like Venom did.

Also, I've got another bit that WCS Remix could try to correct: The absence of Concordia-class carriers from the Confed fleet.
http://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Concordia-Class_Fleet_Carrier
It looks much like Yorktown, except it's much larger, close in size to Jutland. I think that if we asked Scooby to make it, he'd model it distinctive enough. Maybe WCS:R could even feature TCS Princeton from WC4 as a cameo.

Or even WC4's Lexington. If my information is correct, she was put back into service between the Battle of Earth and the destruction of Kilrah. And during the Freya missions of WCS:DD, a TCS Lexington is mentioned and it's unlikely that it is the Lexington from WC: Armada since she was never recovered.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, the original Lexington did get fixed before the war ended, but somehow, I don't think she'll be on the front lines so soon. Anyway, it'd be really nice to have the Concordia-class in WCS. It's supposed to be a Confed workhorse, pretty much how Jutland is depicted in WCS:DD.

Offline Light

I thought I might make couple of comments. First with regard to the Concordia-class carriers you might want to talk to Deathsnake as I believe he was working on one for his "Last Line of Defense" mod.

The other thing is that, Lorric, I think you have me to blame for the missile alarm. When I started as a Beta tester on WC:SAGA they had a different missile launch warning sound. The problem was if your shield were being hit, for example from a bomber's tail gun, the shield hit sound drown out the sound of that launch warning. Compounding that issue was the fact that if you were in a very close, shield bumping range guns engagement the "Collision" indicator on the HUD blotted out the visual "Launch" warning. It was found in beta testing that when playing missions where turret fire and/or close engagement were prevalent players were not getting warning of missile launches.  If I recall correctly I was the one that made the initial report on the issue that was confirmed by other tester as an issue. That is how the present missile launch warning sound, one that better cut through battle noise, got into the game.