Author Topic: Multi-Player  (Read 1340 times)

I just wanted to ask you guys why you havent put forth the effort to create better mutliplayer gameplay for fsopen? It seems that toms old engine build is the way to go in multiplayer, and that means retail graphics... something we would all like to see change.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just wanted to ask you why you haven't noticed the extensive fs2_open multiplayer community on Game Warden.  It seems that HLP is the only way to go as a Freespace forum.

yes but people who actually play on FS2netd are mainly playing on Toms Build

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There is ongoing development on multiplayer capability, and taylor's build from January 2005 works very well for most people.  There is a detailed thread on GameWarden that describes exactly how to get it set up and working.

Considering that the entire SCP team is putting forth extensive effort to develop all kinds of features, including multiplayer, it's very annoying, not to mention frustrating, to read threads like this.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
DW is being a little tactless here but I know where he's coming from having chatted on ICQ with him over the matter. There are quite a few problems with FS2_Open and multiplayer and in comparison with other fields multiplayer is being left behind.

Now speaking as someone who has access to the internals I'm well aware why multiplayer is getting left behind now that FS2NetD is done (mainly that we don't have any programmers who have the time who actually understand the net code). Personally I'd love to see the net code improved with all the new SEXPs working and everything (reminds me. I need to check if I actually mantised the problems) but there are other priorities.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Inquisitor

A little bit tactless?

Last I checked, being rude doesn't get us feeling all warm and fuzzy.

We're trying to determine what the future of multiplayer actually is going to look like.

last I checked, people coulodn't be bothered to use all the new features, many (on the teamwars forums and here) complained that they couldn't be bother to upgrade to a 50 dollar video card, and demanded the "Tom's build."

Once they got it, they all vanished like smoke.

We have working multiplayer, and stuff as it gets integrated gets tested, we have had a distinct lack of dedicated, consistent testers who care about multi in the past, MatthewPapa stepped up to the plate and is doign a bang up job at GameWarden caretaking the system.

So, instead of asking us why we haven't put forth the effort, and generally insulting the whole of the last several years of these guys hard work, how about you put forth some effort and actually make a constructive comment?

WHAT specifically, should be improved?

The people who care, contribute. That's how this works.

Start a new thread, be civil about it, or don't bother.
No signature.