Author Topic: Removing IPX  (Read 1798 times)

However, TCP/IP is much more flexible, so that is what I think I'd prefer in that regard. It uses a relatively well-documented protocol that's also nonplatform-specific, and can easily be redirected across a LAN or something similar - a capability that direct memory management simply wouldn't have.

Someone ought to rip IPX completely out of the build, its only going to confuse the noobs, nobody uses it.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
However, TCP/IP is much more flexible, so that is what I think I'd prefer in that regard. It uses a relatively well-documented protocol that's also nonplatform-specific, and can easily be redirected across a LAN or something similar - a capability that direct memory management simply wouldn't have.

Someone ought to rip IPX completely out of the build, its only going to confuse the noobs, nobody uses it.

Why? You know, not all people who are new to Freespace 2 (or FS2 multiplayer) get confused by what IPX is or does. IPX is simple to explain, anyway. Not to mention one can just Google IPX if they're confused about it or something, you know?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Why? You know, not all people who are new to Freespace 2 (or FS2 multiplayer) get confused by what IPX is or does. IPX is simple to explain, anyway. Not to mention one can just Google IPX if they're confused about it or something, you know?

That doesnt change the fact that nobody uses it. And not every noob is gunna go "i wonder what ipx means? ill look it up on wiki and see!"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Split from the AI topic since it had nothing to do with it.

Pointless. It's still in the interface art and that would cause more not less confusion. Especially amongst anyone still using IPX :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:09:49 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Then take it out of the interface art.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We can't. It's retail data. We can't touch that without going to everyones house and giving them remastered copies of the disks.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The IPX code only works under Windows btw.  And the Linux and OS X folk don't appear to have an issue with it not being available, but still listed on the interface.  I'm not really for or against ripping it out, but if it no longer serves a real use then it doesn't need to be there, so that we can simplify the networking code some.  We can quite easily modify the interface code to not allow the IPX interface stuff to be used, even though it would still show up.

That's just my opinion though, and IPX support is such a minor thing that I don't really care about it one way or the other. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I don't see the point in spending time and effort just to remove something anyway, as long as it's not interfering with anything else.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
There've occassionally been times at LAN parties when IPX or TCP/IP would work, but the other would not. I don't see any point in going to the effort to remove it, either.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ipx isnt even installed by default anymore on most modern oses. i doubt many would want to go through the troble of installing ipx on their computer when they can just use good ol ip right out of the box.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN