Author Topic: 3.6.18 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF Aug 19TH  (Read 144030 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: 3.6.12 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF Aug 19TH
Actually, it seems you can shotgun broadband connections like you used to with modems and ISDN back in the day.  If you can get two DSL lines from one provider for instance, you might be able to get them to use one IP over both lines.  You'd have to talk with your ISP probably to get that set up though.
my mind still tells me its a daft idea... :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: 3.6.12 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF Aug 19TH
By my understanding it wouldn't be too hard to say... have one of the 3 on the LAN host a game (on pxo), have the 2 other direct IP in, have anyone else online join from there. This may lead to routing problems though, and the 2 that direct ip in won't get their stats saved.

Would direct IP linking to say, a standalone require port forwarding, or is that a fs2net thing? The logic behind this being if it uses a random port it shouldn't be difficult to link 3 people from a LAN. fs2net could be watched for an IP, meet on IRC to set it up, etc. But again there is the stat saving issue, not to mention pumping three times the data down a single line.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
By my understanding it wouldn't be too hard to say... have one of the 3 on the LAN host a game (on pxo), have the 2 other direct IP in, have anyone else online join from there. This may lead to routing problems though, and the 2 that direct ip in won't get their stats saved.
What routing problems, pray tell? The game tracks via ip addresses. those from the global net trying to join, get forwarded to the pc, and the local clients simply skip that whole nasty NAT part.

Would direct IP linking to say, a standalone require port forwarding, or is that a fs2net thing?
same logic as normal multi. the difference being, if direct-ip-ing you just know the ip address you are connecting to.

The logic behind this being if it uses a random port it shouldn't be difficult to link 3 people from a LAN. fs2net could be watched for an IP, meet on IRC to set it up, etc. But again there is the stat saving issue, not to mention pumping three times the data down a single line.
wat? three times the data down a single line? only if none of them host and all three connect to an external server. if any of the potential trio host, the overall link bandwith went down a bit (at least in the direction of the global net...)

also, your average host has more bandwith eaten than your hypothetical trio.
so, yeah, almost any sort of a link, post 256kbps up/down shouldnt have much problems at all on that front.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, there's probably no need for a setup like that for online gaming.  There's no online games that make use of even one high-speed connection, and having two isn't going to help your latency.  The shotgunning overhead is probably more likely to have an adverse effect.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Yeah, there's probably no need for a setup like that for online gaming.  There's no online games that make use of even one high-speed connection, and having two isn't going to help your latency.  The shotgunning overhead is probably more likely to have an adverse effect.

No. You don't get how it is. I have ADSL, and as fate would have it, the modem is also a router. But my parents have a laptop and they want internet access too. So we got a cisco wireless N-router as well.

Don't blame me for decisions my parents made. Now can you help?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:36:27 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
There is a way usually to enter the setup of the modem / router... you have to find it's Default Gateway, which should be different from your Wireless N router's default gateway.

For example, your N router may have a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 , whilst your modem may have 192.168.10.1

How to find it?  Hmm..

I think if you do a tracert from the cmd line, it should give you the IP of your modem (2nd IP in the list, the first is your N-Router)

Not sure of that though.  Try it and see if you can connect to the 2nd IP

start

type cmd (or for XP Run then cmd)

hit enter

put

Code: [Select]
tracert www.google.com
and enter

EDIT: then put the 2nd IP into your web browser and see if your modem config page shows up

Offline FlamingCobra

I already know how to get into both routers.

The modem/router is 192.168.2.1

and the wireless cisco router is 192.168.1.1

If I forward the ports on one, the other, or both, it still doesn't work. Well, at least uTorrent says the ports aren't open anyway. And I couldn't host on StarCraft I battle.net when that was still up after I forwarded ports. And I can't host a game when I'm playing with my friend on Diablo II. Same thing with Baldur's Gate. The only thing I can host is Left4Dead 1 & 2, and I never forwarded those ports.

Now, I searched on the internet yesterday for Port Forwarding with Two Routers. And I found out it's complicated. I found this:

http://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

Now, Jeremiah told me that the IP addresses I know are the internal IPs. Since I have two routers, it sets up a subnet or something between the two routers, and we need their external IPs. And I don't know how to get that.

And even if I did, I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do.

I need someone to walk me through it.

Oh, and there's an easier way, boy.
You go to the command prompt and you type in
Code: [Select]
ipconfig /all
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:45:40 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Your modem needs to forward ports to your router... so the IP that needs forwarding for the port number should be 192.168.1.1  Now the port is forwarded to the N-Router.

Now, have the N-Router forward that port to your computer's IP

Which is dynamic, that is, DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) auto-assigns it.  So you need to assign one manually.  Google how to do it with your OS.  set your computer's IP to something like 192.168.1.25 (and the Default Gateway is the IP of your N-Router, and the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0 ) so that DHCP doesn't auto-assign another computer to be the same as your manual configuration.

For the DNS servers, I'd put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS servers; they're a bit faster than your ISP's ones usually).

Now, have your N-Router forward the ports to 192.168.1.25

Ta-da!

Well, you also have to set your computer's software firewall to allow those ports... Google that as well.

EDIT: Basically, what you are doing is saying:

1) Hey modem, forward any incoming requests on TCP (or UDP if that's what is being used) port xxxx to IP 192.168.1.1

*port requests from FS2 are forwarded to your N-Router's IP and your N-Router gets them*

2)Hey N-Router, forward any incoming requests on TCP (or UDP) port xxxx to IP 192.168.1.25

*port requests from FS2 are forwarded to your computer's (static) IP 192.168.1.25*

3a)Hey computer, instead of asking for your IP to be assigned to you by the DHCP server on the device you are connected to (in this case, the N-Router), I want you to have these settings so that you will always be available when the N-Router sends FS2 port requests to 192.168.1.25:

-Your IP on the little N-Router network will be 192.168.1.25
-Your subnet mask (complicated, but it basically makes the IPs match the correct network setup by telling where the split the network IP and the subnetwork IP addresses) will be 255.255.255.0
-Your Default Gateway on this network is 192.168.1.1 (this is the router's IP address, basically, if you can't find what your looking for, ask this guy to find it... so when you put www.google.com, and the IP is retrieved by DNS, and you try to find that IP on the network... well, Google.com isn't on your home network, so ask the Default Gateway to find it for you... then the N-Router can't find it on the modem network, so it asks IT'S Default Gateway, 192.168.2.1, which is your modem, to find it.  This process is repeated on your ISP's network all the way up until Google.com's IP address is contacted.)
-Your DNS servers are going to be Google's DNS servers: a) primary IP 8.8.8.8 and b) secondary IP 8.8.4.4  (this means that when you put in www.hotmail.com or similar, the address needs to be converted into the correct IP address, so ask the DNS server "what is the IP for www.hotmail.com?" -- it will then give you the current IP address of www.hotmail.com, which your computer then uses to load www.hotmail.com)

normally, DHCP assigns all of these options.  Ultimately, the DNS servers end up being auto-assigned to your ISP's DNS servers... not always as fast as Google's DNS servers, in addition, some sites that your ISP doesn't like may be blocked.  If you want to use your ISP's DNS servers, google what they are for your ISP, and put in those values here

3b)Hey Firewall, allow requests on TCP (or UDP) port xxxx to be accepted on my system; don't block them

*TCP or UDP port requests are now received by FS2, and much joy results*
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:56:37 pm by jr2 »

Offline FlamingCobra

So when I forward from the modem to the router is that LAN to LAN or WAN to LAN?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I think WAN to LAN.... basically, it needs to be forwarded from the "Internet" to your LAN (the network created for your N-Router by the modem... there is another separate LAN (Local Area Network) created for all the computers that the N-Router has connected to it)

If your modem considers the Internet to be your "WAN" (Wide Area Network), then yes, WAN to LAN...

EDIT: BTW, read my edit of my post above your last one.

EDIT2: Also, I forgot to mention (although you can infer it from my posts) that a static IP address is one that is pre-set by the computer (in this case, 192.168.1.25)  A dynamic IP address is one that is auto-selected by the DHCP server on the network (in this case, your N-Router since the computer is on it's network)  ... if you set your computer to DHCP, then the N-Router will set it to the first available network on the 192.168.1.0 network, which would be 192.168.1.1... however, the router itself has that IP, so it would be 192.168.1.2; so you could forward ports to that IP... but what if your parent's laptop, or your iPod Touch, connects first??  Now that device has 192.168.1.2, and your FS2 port requests go to the iPod!  :ick: no good~  So you set a static IP that is far enough above the DHCP starting range that it will not be selected by DHCP (.25 is good, if you had 20-30 devices, well set .50)

Interestingly, note that if you managed to plug your computer into the modem's 192.168.2.1 network if there were multiple ports that you could use, the modem DHCP would set 192.168.2.2 if that was available (but maybe your N-Router took that... the networks can have IP addresses that are local to their specific network, so your N-Router could be 192.168.2.2 on the modem network and 192.168.1.1 on it's own network... it's a ... Gateway.  ;)

If any network guys that know better than me read this, feel free to correct any discrepancies, however I think I mostly summarized how the networks work in a broad sense.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:18:41 pm by jr2 »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you have a Westech modem like we got, you can disable its ability to get the IP from your ISP.  It will then just simply pass through data to your wireless router, which should itself be able to do PPPoE.  That's the setup I have, but you might need to call your ISP for help.  I have a Westech modem configured to pass through to my Netgear OpenWRT router.  That's your optimal setup, if you can do it.  Then your wireless router handles the authentication with your username and password to your ISP, and gets the external IP assigned to it directly.

Short of that, you might just be able to open up all ports on your modem by setting up a DMZ to the wireless router.  Opening ports by hand is silly when you want everything to go to the wireless router.  Should be a way to make that happen since I'm sure it's a common request.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You can indeed shut the firewall option completely off on most routers... then all port requests will pass through to your N-Router, which will handle all port requests (you'd still need to forward the port on to your computer though).

Offline FlamingCobra

Still no luck with uTorrent. Says the port's not open.

However, I did go to my modem/router and go to WAN and it has something about a static IP. It's set to "Obtain an IP address automatically." So is that the router's IP address or is the modem/router manipulating MY ip address?

EDIT: It also has a setting called "mode."

It is set to "routing." If I change that from routing to bridge, will that make my modem/router not act as a router and then I won't have to worry about forwarding ports on that device?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yes, mode will change that for you.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think Bridge is what you want, and would probably simplify your setup greatly.  You'd just need to configure your Wifi router as PPPoE instead of just DHCP for its WAN setting, and plug in your ISP username and password, domain etc as required.  You'd never need to worry about port forwarding at all on your modem/router then.

Offline FlamingCobra

HANG ON! I went into my modem/router, clicked on WAN, went down to IP Address, clicked on static IP, and put in 192.168.1.100

My internet didn't work anymore after that, so I changed it back.

Then I went on google and looked up "site:www.centurylink.com static ip" and I found this:

Static IP addresses are available with CWB and may be ordered using the Account Management Tool after the CWB service installation order has been fully completed. You are responsible for all Static IP activity on your CWB accounts, whether initiated by you or the end-user.

Does that mean I can't get a static IP address unless I pay for it?

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Does that mean I can't get a static IP address unless I pay for it?

Yup, depending on the ISP static IPs could cost $5 or more extra per month.
Also, 192.168.* is local IP only, not an internet IP, so you would have lost internet connection anyway.

If you are going for port forwarding, then the modem's IP doesnt need to change, (or atleast not the WAN one). The computer's IP needs to change to meet the port forwarding settings of the router.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:25:24 pm by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken