Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
Multiplayer / Multiplayer in total conversion
« Last post by topas on May 22, 2024, 05:00:22 am »
Hey everyone,

I would like to start playing Freespace on our recurring LAN party.
I have the retail game installed.
I found good multiplayer options using Freespace FSO and even created a small mod (more a bundle of other mods) for making the default experience a bit better by using ship interiors, better mainhalls and stuff like that. I even started to create a small mission where I reused the nice skyboxes from blue planet.
I plan to play the included multiplayer missions in FSO (I think they are from the retail version) on our event and that's already fantastic.

Now I saw Solaris.
Those ships and their missions/levels uhm I mean the backgrounds and asteroids and so on look so good!
Sadly Solaris has no multiplayer.

Now since I'm into modding (easy through Knossos) anyway I ask myself if it would be feasible to get all those nice missions from the retail Freespace in the style of Solaris.
I mean by having the mission mechanics, like the job that has to be done in the mission from the retail game, but with Solaris ships and its level design.

It might be a bad idea because mixing the missions goal from Freespace with ships and levels from a total conversion might be of "bad taste"... But I don't know.

If a total conversion mod has to be created for that, then another question arises:
Can a total conversion have a multiplayer?

I'm interested in your thoughts on this topic.

I am impressed by the work in FSO of all people!
Nightly Builds / Nightly: 22 May 2024 - Revision 87704fc81
« Last post by SirKnightly on May 22, 2024, 01:32:17 am »
Here is the nightly for 22 May 2024 - Revision 87704fc81

Group: Linux
nightly_20240522_87704fc81-builds-Linux.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-arm64
nightly_20240522_87704fc81-builds-Mac-arm64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-x86_64
nightly_20240522_87704fc81-builds-Mac-x86_64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: Win32-SSE2
nightly_20240522_87704fc81-builds-Win32-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Group: Win64-SSE2
nightly_20240522_87704fc81-builds-x64-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
commit 87704fc81
Author: BMagnu
Commit: GitHub

Refactor replacement texture to a modelinstance parameter (#6154)
 code/asteroid/asteroid.cpp                  |   2 +
 code/debris/debris.cpp                      |   3 +
 code/hud/hudshield.cpp                      |   2 +-
 code/hud/hudtargetbox.cpp                   |  16 ++-
 code/model/model.h                          |  43 ++++---
 code/model/modelrender.cpp                  |  70 +++++------
 code/model/modelrender.h                    |  10 +-
 code/scripting/api/objs/cockpit_display.cpp |   2 +-
 code/scripting/api/objs/modelinstance.cpp   | 121 +++++++++++++++++++
 code/scripting/api/objs/modelinstance.h     |   1 +
 code/scripting/api/objs/ship.cpp            | 123 ++------------------
 code/scripting/api/objs/ship.h              |   2 -
 code/ship/ship.cpp                          | 173 ++++++++++++----------------
 code/ship/ship.h                            |   5 +-
 code/ship/shipfx.cpp                        |   4 +-
 code/starfield/starfield.cpp                |   3 +
 code/weapon/weapons.cpp                     |   3 +
 fred2/fredrender.cpp                        |   2 +-
 qtfred/src/mission/FredRenderer.cpp         |   2 +-
 19 files changed, 293 insertions(+), 294 deletions(-)
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?
« Last post by Iain Baker on May 21, 2024, 03:56:51 am »
FSPort: ReCharged, since I’m playing it as I make it 😜
Between the Ashes / Re: BtA Bug Report Thread
« Last post by forealdo on May 20, 2024, 10:15:21 pm »
I don't know if this is because I was using FSO 24.0.1 instead of 24.0.0, but whenever I completed a mission or restarted one after getting to the AAR, most of the text would get corrupted. Subtitles, weapon text, etc. Also, when this happened and I try to access the database on the main menu, the game crashes. I checked the main game to see if the issue happens there, but it didnt.

Also, though this is more an issue with knossos.net, but after I encountered the issue the first time last night, I tried to verify the mod and instead it got deleted, so I had to redownload it.

This was a bug with 24.0.1 FSO engine. It is fixed in 24.0.2 which BtA will be set to on Friday when BtA2 officially releases. :)

Ok, thanks for the update.
The Modding Workshop / Re: Ship Interiors Project
« Last post by KamiGaAtaeta on May 20, 2024, 10:04:24 am »
IS there a way to get this mod to work with other mods?  Or will those mod authors have to add it first?

Yes there is a way you can add this to other mods to a degree. If you have an example mod in mind I can see what would need to be done and share a step by step with you and you could probably use that as a basis for using it with other mods.
« Last post by KamiGaAtaeta on May 20, 2024, 09:59:28 am »
Sorry I am new to the community and I forgot to update things here. v0.0.12! is out now and adds quite a few improvements to the targeting system and HUD elements to make it more user and VR friendly. It also adds my first Vasudan cockpit as well.
The Unification War / Re: Target monitor
« Last post by QuakeIV on May 20, 2024, 08:24:30 am »
I didn't like how in the original for a few missions you couldn't target anything and then magically you get the full fs2 sensor suite working. Thus in the rewrite I changed the sensors to gradually get better.
That was a writing thing where they were playing up the new avionics thing they were developing at earth, and it was this whole giant defense program the other nations couldn't afford to develop on their own, so they don't get it until they are delivered ships that already have it fully working.
« Last post by Colonol Dekker on May 20, 2024, 01:20:35 am »
I'm not a programmer but I'd say seek advice on our discord or refer to the wiki.
Gaming Discussion / Re: Current FREE Games Promotions
« Last post by karajorma on May 20, 2024, 12:11:42 am »
Dragon Age Inquisition is free on Epic. Never played it but I enjoyed the first one and tolerated the second so it might be worth a try.
Between the Ashes / Re: BtA Bug Report Thread
« Last post by mjn.mixael on May 19, 2024, 11:15:20 pm »
I don't know if this is because I was using FSO 24.0.1 instead of 24.0.0, but whenever I completed a mission or restarted one after getting to the AAR, most of the text would get corrupted. Subtitles, weapon text, etc. Also, when this happened and I try to access the database on the main menu, the game crashes. I checked the main game to see if the issue happens there, but it didnt.

Also, though this is more an issue with knossos.net, but after I encountered the issue the first time last night, I tried to verify the mod and instead it got deleted, so I had to redownload it.

This was a bug with 24.0.1 FSO engine. It is fixed in 24.0.2 which BtA will be set to on Friday when BtA2 officially releases. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >