Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > Modding Tutorials

A Simple Texturing Tutorial (Warning to dialup users!) Updated with more goodies

<< < (2/19) > >>

Scooby_Doo:
Yup I even mentioned it that some come from freespace, descent, off the net....  I'm not good enough at photoshop to make those type of textures.

Up next..... glow map tut.  using this model (BTW this is the Stalker strike bomber, modeled off of the Privateer 2 Karnenan)

Quick question... in photoshop how do you take a grey/black scale image and turn it into a colored image like red

Nuke:
not bad, but i must ephasize the usage of the noise and motion blur filters together to create metallic textures. using alot of noise (non-monochroimatic) on black, with 1-2 points gaussian blur and motion blur makes a good glass or shinemap for glass effect.

another thing i also do is keep the individual layers grey and add tiling with the pattern overlay layer style. layer styles are your friend. some texturers hate using layers but you can do so much with them. i never collaps, if you collapse youre making shine glow and env maps that much harder to do. i either pur all my layers in a layer set, duplicate it, and alter it after im done, or if its high resolution texture, il save a copy and edit the copy one layer at a time. most of the time its just a matter of tweaking the layer effects.

another trick when making shine or env maps, on shiny surfaces i like to copy them merged in the shine map and flip em in the env map, that way you get less reflection on sectionss that have alot of change on the specular chanel and areas which are not effected much on specular will be brighter on the env map so the reflect more. dont be affrait to reduce contrast on the env map, a softer variation tends to look better. also for envs it may be preferable to copy+paste one chanel from the diffuse or shine rather than all of them. if you want one color to be more reflective than another.

Nuke:

--- Quote from: Scooby_Doo on November 07, 2006, 11:11:41 pm ---Yup I even mentioned it that some come from freespace, descent, off the net....  I'm not good enough at photoshop to make those type of textures.

Up next..... glow map tut.  using this model (BTW this is the Stalker strike bomber, modeled off of the Privateer 2 Karnenan)

Quick question... in photoshop how do you take a grey/black scale image and turn it into a colored image like red

--- End quote ---

open a new rgb image and paste it into the red chanel, its on the same panel as layers.

Scooby_Doo:
I'm stilling trying to figure out your style
Not to mention if you collapse, then glow maps can be more difficult if you have glowing textures.

--- Quote from: Nuke on November 08, 2006, 12:55:33 am ---
--- Quote from: Scooby_Doo on November 07, 2006, 11:11:41 pm ---Yup I even mentioned it that some come from freespace, descent, off the net....  I'm not good enough at photoshop to make those type of textures.

--- End quote ---
open a new rgb image and paste it into the red chanel, its on the same panel as layers.

--- End quote ---

That didn't work... however pasting to G and B channels did create a red version   :)

Nuke:
or you can just use adjust hsb, and use the colorize checkbox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version