Author Topic: Release: TBP 3.4  (Read 87384 times)

Re: The Babylon Project 3.4 / Final download link
I download it just ago.

Tried to install it.. and was worried after i find out, that you can't select a Folder (who has this ..."idea"?).

First, i don't like to have any Games on C:\ (because on my  C:\ drive are only Operating System related Programs like Drivers ;)). Second i don't like, that it's impossible to move the TBP Folder to another HDD, because then the Launcher don't start and said something about "it has to be in the same directory where the binary is" or something like that.
Third, i hope for another .msi File or a Installation Fix where you can select an Installation Folder like in the previous Versions :)

But so, currently there is a ~900 MB Download for nothing :-| *reinstallTBP3.3*
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline 5amura1

I'm trying to run this on my MAC, I read elseware that I needed the 3.4 to run with the FS2 3.6.9, is that true too?

Unfortunately you're out of luck. The game is being distributed as a .msi which means it will only work with Windows. If you can extract it on a Windows machine I'm sure you could take the files and get it running on a Mac or in Linux though.

Curses! Thanks I'll give that a try.

Offline ajantis

Hi,

I concur with Deepstar.

Since I don't have 2,5 GB free space on my C drive the game won't install for me.
I hope an install fix will be made quickly because I just can't wait to try this Babylon 5 game.

Cheers

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How big is your hard disk?  You might benefit from running Dustbuster (search www.majorgeeks.com for it) as long as you have MS .NET Framework installed... Dustbuster frees up a ton of space... it's in another language, but it's fully automatic, so no problem.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
If your hard disk isn't big enough to install the game - buy a bigger hard disk.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Should that be happening?  Is my computer just that old?

Yes and yes. It takes an age to install. Possibly even longer.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I'm trying to run this on my MAC

The game comes as an MSI. Otherwise known as a Windows Installer package. Your options for installing on a mac:

1) Find a piece of 3rd party software to allow you to install MSI on a mac.
2) Ask someone to create you a MAC installer

Offline Bigoudi

Verry wonderfull last relase :D. if any got prob with install let extract on C: after put TBP repertory where u want open the launcher and select FS2 open 3.6.9 and go.

great job.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
if any got prob with install let extract on C: after put TBP repertory where u want open the launcher and select FS2 open 3.6.9 and go.

This will work for getting the game up and running on a partition other than C: but once you move the program Windows will no longer know where to find it, so it will fail should you ever wish to uninstall it using Add/Remove programs.

Should that be happening?  Is my computer just that old?

Yes and yes. It takes an age to install. Possibly even longer.

Thanks.  I'll give it another go tonight.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline ajantis

How big is your hard disk?  You might benefit from running Dustbuster (search www.majorgeeks.com for it) as long as you have MS .NET Framework installed... Dustbuster frees up a ton of space... it's in another language, but it's fully automatic, so no problem.

Thanks for the tip. Dustbuster freed up an additional GB but still not enough. I only got 2GB free on my C: partition. I really don't want to reinstall my entire system just to enlarge my C: partition. I got more than enough space on my D: partition (still got 40 GB free). Do you know how to extract files from the msi package?

Thanks upfront.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ooh!! I know the answer!  I do this all the time... you need GParted LiveCD.  It works pwnsomely!!  Just, after you resize, DO NOT SKIP THE CHKDSK THAT WIN XP WILL AUTOMATICALLY START, OR YOU MIGHT HAVE BIG PROBLEMS.  Let it finish checking.  To resize, you'll have to shrink the other partition, select the partition, and hit "Move/Resize" button, then grab an end on the graphical display and slide it over.  Remember, if you have extended partitions, the normal partitions inside of them need to be resized down first before you can resize the extended partition out of the way... (this can require a bit of clever mousework, as the extended partition is extremely close in the display with the normal partition, but don't worry, it won't hurt anything if you miss.. it just won't move) try not to leave any blank space unused; it's just wasteful.. Anyways, after you have told it what you wnat done (shrink partition xx, shrink extended partition zz to fit around that one, grow partition yy) by dragging the sliders, then hit the start button and wait until it finishes, then hit the exit button when it's done.  Restart, let chkdsk finish, and then you're all set!!  Thx to karajorma (I think?) for pointing this program out to me awhile ago; it's awesome.. or whoever it was.  :D (S-99?  The person who was telling me about ext3, I believe..)

@Maccie users: http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=mac+.msi+installer hope that helps... not that you deserve it... 
[Darth Vader]You are part of the Rebel Alliance, and a traitor!!  Take her away!![/Darth Vader] ... then again, I am too... oh well :sigh:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:15:16 pm by jr2 »

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
if any got prob with install let extract on C: after put TBP repertory where u want open the launcher and select FS2 open 3.6.9 and go.

This will work for getting the game up and running on a partition other than C: but once you move the program Windows will no longer know where to find it, so it will fail should you ever wish to uninstall it using Add/Remove programs.
The Uninstall would still knock out the start-menu items and any registry additions, then one can just shift+delete the game folder... I moved the game folder, updated the launcher.ini, ran the uninstaller to get rid of what the MSI junk did and had no problems from the uninstaller or the game.

But you're overlooking one big thing... who would want to uninstall it?  ;)

ajantis: a quick Google search gave me this: http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract
The tool has the ability to extract files from just about anything, including MSIs, to anywhere you like.  Heck, I would have some uses for this at work... anyway, I saw at least one other tool just for MSIs that lets you pull out individual files.  You won't get any start menu items of course, but who needs 'em?

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Thanks for the tip. Dustbuster freed up an additional GB but still not enough. I only got 2GB free on my C: partition. I really don't want to reinstall my entire system just to enlarge my C: partition. I got more than enough space on my D: partition (still got 40 GB free). Do you know how to extract files from the msi package?

Thanks upfront.

hi,
to extract the msi under windows, write this in the execute programm in the windows start menu (dont know excatly how it call in the english windows version):

Code: [Select]
msiexec /a "source" /qn TARGETDIR="target"

for example:

Code: [Select]
msiexec /a "C:\TBP-Base-3_4.msi" /qn TARGETDIR="C:\Test\"

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The run command.  Start > Run

Same thing as execute program

Unless you meant the command prompt?  Opens a dos box?  I think you meant run, though... comes up with a drop-down type box, and the three buttons: OK, Cancel, and Browse.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
You guys are doing a good job of sorting out these problems amongst yourselves. Now it's my turn to say good work guys.

Offline Cyker

I don't suppose someone has a RAR/ZIP/tarball re-pack with manual install/uninstall instructions...?  :nervous:

Offline imchief

I have DL and installed but having trouble running.  I've set the launcher to direct3d8 and resolution to 1024x768.  I get it to run sort of on 800x600 but the intro is screwed up and graphics look bad.  I see the first splash screen with B5 and then It crashes and I get the windows error. I set the antialising to diferent selections and no real difference.  Is there a list of settings need?  I have an AMD 3200 64, 1 gig, and an nvidia 6600gt.  Please help! Dying to try new release.   

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Very easy.... set to OpenGL.. Direct 3D is not officially supported anymore, and should only be used as a last resort.  Try running at 1024x768, make sure your tags are straight, mine are: (you can set these using the features tab)

type Graphics:
select all options except "disable scale to window for movies"

type HUD:
select all

type Gameplay:
select everything except The Babylon Project and Wing Commander Saga features toggles.

add this to the "custom flags" box, above "list type":

-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

Moderator note: These are different settings to the ones people who run the official download will get.

EDIT: Oh, and for playing FS2, select the mod "mediavps" in the MOD tab... if you're playing another mod, mediavps is autoselected by the mod... but if you're just playing FS2, you've gotta turn it on yourself.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:05:08 am by IPAndrews »